MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Dillon seating die leaving marks on boolits.

Dillon seating die leaving marks on boolits.

I was getting perfect little rings on the nose of cast boolits from my Dillon seating die, on my 9mm die I was able to sand the inside of the RN part and the rings went away. On my 45ACP I was still getting them after sanding out the RN part. I know I can keep sanding and possibly get it right, but was wondering if the Hot Glue trick would work on a bullet seating die?
    Taking hot glue to the insert and slowly forcing an imprint of the bullet nose while the glue is still malleable.
    Has anyone tried this, and will the glue "Flex" a bit when cured causing different OAL's?

Boolit Master

I have the same thing happen on my Lyman 452374 boolits. It's a light mark and I have chosen to ignore it. It's symmetrical and doesn't affect accuracy. Hot glue would work for a while but it's flexible and not durable enough to suit me. If I wanted to try to fix it I would use JB weld in the seating punch, taking care to open the vent hole back up after the JB weld cures. I would coat the boolit and the bore of the seating die with a mold release agent in case some JB Weld got onto the die's walls. Put a loaded round in the press and gently let the boolit and JB Weld make contact, left undisturbed until the JB Weld is cured. If you don't like the results gentle heat from a propane torch will break the JB Weld down and let you remove it and try again. You should be able to buy additional seating punches from Dillon allowing a custom punch for each bullet profile.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

ADMIN

I just use the hot glue method.

You are really overthinking the entire process.
    The amount of flex in the glue is so minimal that the OAL changes will not matter.
    You are loading 45ACP rounds. If you were loading rounds for a 1000 yard match rifle then I would really worry about the thousand or two difference in OAL that you might possibly have.
    To be totally honest if you are lubing your boolits then unless you clean your seating die every 100 rds your OAL is gonna change as lube builds up on the seating stem.

CHARLES

Boolit Master

I opened up mine as the ring 'bugged' me. Know it really doesn't matter but again OCD rears up at the strangest times
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    My Dillon dies come with round nose and flat nose seating stems. If yours did as well, try switching them and see if the other does the same. The new Dillon dies come with a double ended insert. Pull a cotter pin, dump out the retaining pin in the middle and the insert slides out. Flip it and reassemble. The seating depth will need to be adjusted slightly. Worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    My Dillon dies come with round nose and flat nose seating stems. If yours did as well, try switching them and see if the other does the same. The new Dillon dies come with a double ended insert. Pull a cotter pin, dump out the retaining pin in the middle and the insert slides out. Flip it and reassemble. The seating depth will need to be adjusted slightly. Worth a look.
    Pulled it and flipped it before sanding it in hopes I wouldn't have to sand it.

Boolit Master
    Let us know how it turns out!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Perhaps sand it this way - Put super fine sandpaper on a bullet and lock it in place (holding it or tape it in place), sand the seater on that - If that wasn't the way you were sanding it? (Never know folks' available bag of tricks, could be trying to polish it up using a finger, tho that might work!)