Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Jerkey diplomacy

Jerkey diplomacy

We all hear about how hunting and shooting are at a minimum looked down or viewed with outright hostility by folks in more urban areas of the country. I guess I have been lucky as I have never had an encounter with a rabidly anti- hunting ideologue. I have met a few folks who are animal lovers and don't like the idea of Bambi being perforated but no one has actually gotten in my face about making my own meat. What I have found is that many city folks have a neutral attitude about rural life and hunting and if approached correctly can have a positive view of hunting. Not saying that they are ready to cammo up and hit the brush but are at least willing to let us be. Here is an example that has worked for me.

Twice each year I travel to Chicago for a conference to be updated on the latest legal trends and get required continuing educational hours. My employer puts me up in a nice hotel on Michigan avenue and the Cook County State's attorney's office sends over two nice ladies who help out with registration and generally make things run smoother. Since Mrs. Thumbcocker and I come up on the train we generally bring a bag of our home made deer jerky for the ride and to snack on in the room. One vendor who comes to the conference is someone from our area that we have known for several years. A few years back I offered her some jerky. She liked it and commented approvingly. The two ladies from the Cook County State's Attorney's office were standing nearby and seemed interested. I offered them each a bite. I will take this opportunity to point out that in my totally unbiased opinion Mrs. Thumbcocker and I make darn good jerky. Anyway the ladies were both favorably impressed with the flavor of the jerky. This lead to a discussion of where I live and how we make jerky. This lead to viewing cell phone pictures of garden, canned deer and veggies, and eventually pictures of deceased deer with a .44 handgun laying on them. Both of the ladies are Moms and were impressed by pictures of packaged deer meat in the freezer. One recently commented on how lean the meat in the packages looked and how it was organic and asking if she could buy venison in the city.

Fast forward to this years conference. We made six pounds of ground deer into jerky and packaged it in quart ziplock bags. Bags were given to the vendor who is a friend, the two ladies from the Cook County State's Attorney's office, a friend who lives in Chicago and the concierge at the hotel. The concierge has been very helpful to Mrs. Thumbcocker and I over the years. For those who have never dealt with a concierge ( I hadn't until I started going to Chicago); a Concierge is a person who's job is to help hotel guests with pretty much anything they need while staying at the hotel. They wear a pin with crossed keys on their jacket and have a desk in the lobby. When Mrs. Thumbcocker and I wanted to tour the U boat at the museum of science and Industry the concierge was able to print out the tickets for us. She also knows every place to eat near the motel and the price ranges, what is going on in the city and a whole lot of stuff that is foreign to us county folks. So a few bites of jerky and some pictures later she was asking about canning and mushroom foraging and other aspects of rural living. A quart bag of jerky was received with appreciation.

Some thoughts. I don't talk politics. This includes RKBA. There are plenty of places for people to discuss that without me brining it up. I don't show especially graphic dead animal pictures. There may be a little blood around the muzzle of the dead deer or around the bullet wound but I don't get graphic. Also I always ASK if they would like to see pictures of where I live and the deer they are eating. So far I have never been told no but the courtesy is appreciated. I do treat people in the city with respect and courtesy. I was raised to use Sir and Ma'am and don't change when I am in the city. Also city folks have a lot of knowledge about things that I don't and I appreciate it when I get their help. A sincere thank you goes a long way.

So I guess where all this is going is that, in my experience, there are a lot of folks who are neutral to hunting and country stuff that can be brought to respect rural values if approached in a non confrontational manner.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Bravo, well done sir.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

A well done here too, I'm trying think up some kind of 'jerk' joke but I got nothing.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    Very true.
    jim

Boolit Master

Mr. & Mrs. Thumbcocker thank you for the wonderful write-up on your venison escapades. It is amazing how a little diplomacy and politeness goes to make things more congenial among those of differing views. I'm with you in that I don't often run into folks who are totally and absolutely against hunting. I am sure that it is hard to have a sane discussion with them. But for the most part people are nice when approached in the right way. I know I never will get to taste your venison jerky, but I can imagine that it is very tasty. I always enjoy your writings. Thanks again.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

In the Army, you get a mix of individuals from all walks of life and my entire time in I too brought many into the fold by sharing jerky and other venison dishes with them. While stationed at Ft Bragg, I would have a venison cookout every year, cooking shish kabobs, burgers, and steaks and drying jerky in the smoker. I always said the first deer was for my squad, but most times it would turn to two by the time all was said and done. Many ended up being hunters as well, even though they grew up in the city and Basic was their first time handling a rifle.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Well done, thank you for posting that. I've also found that most people respond well when you're polite. If they have cultural and political opinions contrary to yours you most likely won't change their minds, but you'll leave a good impression and might soften their views.

Great write up and story..Couldn't agree more..

Boolit Grand Master

Great story!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Great write up! I was brought up on a farm and in a rural community. You don't have to go to the city though to find those that are un-informed about the rural way of life - and I don't mean that in a smart or bad way. My wife taught school for over 30 years - when she was teaching 3rd and 4th graders, she asked one time "where do eggs come from?". Several answered "the grocery store". Judging from the amount of commercial jerky I see being sold at the gas stations, etc. and the age of those buying it, I doubt if many of them have ever thought what it is or where it came from. You and your wife's jerky and sharing stories about gardening, canning, mushroom hunting, etc. certainly serve as the "goodwill ambassador" for the rural life - and I have a feeling that a lot of those city folks secretly kind of yearn for such a life and a slower pace at times. Job well done and thanks for sharing. My wife and I took a train form our place in MI to Chicago once and stayed in a fancy hotel on Michigan Ave. - quite the experience and it ws interesting but I kind of felt like a fish out of water.

In Remembrance
    It has always been my experience that most folks I have met in cities, wished they lived in the country. If you have ever had occasion to HAVE to leave any major city on a Friday evening, you will find the worst traffic imaginable, sometimes for over a hundred miles.

Banned
    Thumbcocker,

Perhaps based on your "practical diplomacy" skills, we shooters/hunters should appoint you Ambassador to Chicago. = WELL DONE, imvho.

yours, tex

Banned
    Well Done !

For as long as I can remember, I've been taking the diplomatic approach to non-gun people.

Some people can be guided to at least consider a different point of view and some people cannot be reached. One thing is for certain, yelling and lots of emotion will NOT work. In fact, it is not only unproductive, it is counter-productive.

Calm logic and respect are the best tools we have.

Boolit Master

A Big WAY TO GO, TC!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Very well done sir! You are a credit to all who hunt/shoot.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

I'm another that has to say "Well Done"!

Boolit Grand Master

I made some jerky for my Dad one time, and as he chowed down on a chunk I said"now isn't that the best darn coyote you ever ate". Now he won't eat at our house any more? Some folks are real strange.