Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2PBcastcoInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 7 mm ammo

Boolit Master

7 mm ammo

A few weeks ago I bought an 1893 Spanish Mauser 7x57. Today I found a box of unopened cartridges.
    I was tempted to open the box but decided not to.

In Remembrance

This reminds me of the time when I was digging around in my ammo cabinets for I don`t remember what now and I came across 3 boxes of Kynoch 7mm Mauser FMJ 50 round boxes unopened. Have no idea when I got these or from whom.Robert

Boolit Master

cool I would not open it- that said I have a bunch of 11mm Mauser and Werndl ammo in original army issue type paste board boxes; circa 1870. The glue has come off a lot of them. Maybe because they were stored out in the shop and get full temperature and humidity swings.I am not sure how to avoid that. good luck

Boolit Grand Master

I have 2 boxes of the same except mine are the FMJ bullets. The cases are headstamped "U.M.C. 7mm". The U.M.C. 8 1/2 primer is used and there is 33.9 gr of a round donut flat powder, probably Hercules Sharpshooter. The bullets weighed right at 173 gr and were .285 diameter. As you can see of the 9 rounds I tested in a sporterized M95 Chilean with cut down barrel (24") there were 3 fail to fires. The other 6 rounds had an SD of 10 fps, an ES of 25 fps and an average velocity (muzzle) of 2311 fps. The measured psi (Oehler M43 PBL) was 57,200 psi. That is at the max C.I.P. MAP for the 7x57 cartridge.

Attachment 209694

Attachment 209695
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I'm tempted to open that box just to see what's in it, which makes no sense because I know what's in it. The box is still sealed so I'll leave it alone.
    Any idea of the date of manufacture?

Boolit Buddy
    To the OP, your box would date from between 1911 and 1915. Prior to 1911, U.M.C. and Remington were separate enterprises, and beginning in 1916 the callout "Union Metallic Cartridge Works" no longer appeared on cartridge box labels.

Jim

Boolit Master

DO NOT OPEN IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please keep it intact they are no making them anymore and are a part of history.

Boolit Master
    I always resist the temptation. I have unopened boxes of ammo that are older (30-40 Krag).

Boolit Grand Master

The box I used to test was opened, the 2nd box I have is not and will remain as such. I believe and already have been told knowing the actual components of the ammunition and having tested it for pressure and actual velocity adds to the actual value of the remaining box. Sort of like knowing the actual history of a particular milsurp rifle instead of just what is gleaned from unrelated sources. I don't know as I am not a collector.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I was given a couple of partial boxes of this ammo. I couldn't resist firing a few rounds out of my 95 Chilean Mauser. I shot four rounds off a sand bag rest and all were in about 2 1/2 inches and was about 6" high at 100 yds. I believe that's about where the rifle was zeroed in.