Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauser Question

Boolit Master
    there is a forum(don't remember the name) that a fellow shows alot of his work and he is very good. He shows how he welds a washer on the shroud and finishes it off. He did it to divert gas from coming straight back and it looks good. For me I never even thought my reloads would give a pierced primer issue. But safety is good.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Does the 94 Brazilian have a square bottom bolt face?
    It sounds like a German made 93 - if there's any crest left you can see what country it was made for. I might be wrong but I think the majority of 1893 production went to Spain in 7x57 and Turkey in 7.65x53.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Does the 94 Brazilian have a square bottom bolt face?
    It sounds like a German made 93 - if there's any crest left you can see what country it was made for. I might be wrong but I think the majority of 1893 production went to Spain in 7x57 and Turkey in 7.65x53.

Round face.

First centerfire rifle I owned was a sporterized 93 7x57 mauser marked the same as yours. Usually when I was bored in the treestand I'd always wonder about that particular rifles history from the time it was made in Berlin to the day I saw it in the gun shop as a skinny teenager.

Tx By God: I have a few 93-94s made by both FN and DWM. I believe all are maked Brazil and all are set up for a square bottom bolt. The "94s" I have are identical to 93s, but are maked 94 I believe either for the year of manufacture or a contract date. However, I honestly have no idea.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    Tx By God: I have a few 93-94s made by both FN and DWM. I believe all are maked Brazil and all are set up for a square bottom bolt. The "94s" I have are identical to 93s, but are maked 94 I believe either for the year of manufacture or a contract date. However, I honestly have no idea.
    Setup for, but do they have the square bottom bolt in them?

Now were getting particular. All three were manufactured for square bottom bolts, two have sqare bottom bolts and one has a bolt that has had the square bottom removed by someone in the past.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    Now were getting particular. All three were manufactured for square bottom bolts, two have sqare bottom bolts and one has a bolt that has had the square bottom removed by someone in the past.
    LOL map, now I'm going to get REAL particular Are the bolts matching to the receiver? I promise I'll quit after that LOL

Ask away vzerone and thank you Richhodg66 for providing a thread for us share (what little) knowledge we have . So you made me go look again vzrone and I actually have four FNs and DWMs (two each). All either have altered bolts or mismatched. However, even though I wasn't there when they were made, I think if the actions were made for a square bottom bold then that is probably what they put into them. I believe Paul Mauser put the square bottom on to help pick up cartridges from the new staggered magazine and later dropped it to ease manufacturing when it was learned that it wasn't needed. Thus, if the receiver has a square bottom, I think there is a strong chance they came with a square'd bolt too.

Boolit Buddy
    I did a quick search and what I'm finding is that 94 Brazilians had a round bolt heads instead of the squared off 93 style, but it's kinda murky. [Very murky and probably wrong, read below]

Olson isn't very clear in his book, Mauser Bolt Rifles (Pg 77) and it basically says that the 94 Brazilian is "practically" the same as the 93 except for the magazine follower, which was tapered at the rear to allow the bolt to close on an empty mag.

My Kuhnhausen book is at work so can't check that, but Numrich lists bolts for sale for the 94 Brazilian and they have a round face. Whether Numrich is right is hard to say.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/7720

To clear things up a little (joke) Bolt Action Rifles by Frank De Haas (pg 133) says that later 93s had round bolt faces, so a 94... ?
    Last edited by John 242; 12-18-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Military Rifles of the World by Robert W.D. Ball says that the Brazilian 94 "is identical to the Spanish Model 1893 Rifle, with the exception of the cylindrical bolt head" (Pg 62).

However... This seems debatable. There are posters on other forums http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-93-Spanish-or who argue that MRotW is incorrect and that ALL 94 Brazilians had square bolt faces. I have found similar statement on other forums as well. Wow, no easy answers for me on this one...

If this is the original bolt... then maybe this answers the question...
    http://www.angelfire.com/vt/milsurp/brz94.html
    Picture taken from above URL-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94 bolt.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	209824
    Last edited by John 242; 12-18-2017 at 11:57 PM.

I'm thinking the only sure things Mauser is that there's no sure things Mauser.

Banned

Name:	7mm Mauser.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	209823

This is the rifle in question. Wish I had a chance to get out and shoot some cast loads through it, but won't have time during daylight for a few days.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post

Name:	7mm Mauser.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	209823

This is the rifle in question. Wish I had a chance to get out and shoot some cast loads through it, but won't have time during daylight for a few days.
    Nice looking rifle! Should be a lot of fun. Enjoy it!
    Last edited by John 242; 12-19-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Very nice richhodg66!

John 242: I worked on a DWM marked 1894 and Brazil tonight with a squared bolt and an FN no thumb cut "93" with a square bolt. What ever they are or are supposed to be they make up to nice rifle in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    High speed gases don't like turning corners, which is why a revolver doesn't expire due to the cylinder gap, or erode it worse, before the bullet gets out. But I think about all reputably made Mausers have enough corners f or safety, now that we won't be using nineteenth s century or possibly war-emergency brass. Even with General Hatcher's summary of accidents to the old heat-treatment Springfields, bad brass is frequently the culprit for things a modern shooter could get away with forever.

Well as to books... I've just been re-reading my favourite author on shooting, fishing, cowboying and South American revolutions, Thurlow Craig. I remember his newspaper column on country life in the 1980s, full of life despite his having served in the Navy, including Murmansk, in the First World War.

He took part in the 1931 Paulista Revolt in southern Brazil, which combined many characteristics of the Boy Scout movement and comic opera. He claims that knowledgeable Brazilians rated the German-made 1894 far above the later Belgian-made rifles, for being more accurate and less likely to jam through overheating. Any Brazilian rifle is likely to have had a chequered career thought the vicissitudes of politics, and may have suffered through the belief that you had to clean the outside of a rifle carefully, but there was no need to bother about the bore, which nobody could see. It was also held that rifles cleaned with rags taken from women's clothing were liable to misfire.

Banned

This is all good information to know. I like this rifle quite a bit. The pics don't show it, but the stock almost looks like something chewed on it at the trigger guard and at the front of the comb. Not sure I can sand that out without changing the contours so I might leave it alone. I was really surprised when this showed up, we have three pawn shops in town, two of which do over half their business in guns and I have known the owners for years and they're good folks. This was a fairly new one that seems to be mostly old tools and equipment, very few guns, but worth a stop in now and then. This was a pretty unusual thing to turn up in there, and I suspect he wanted to get rid of it because it wasn't a common caliber. Got some messing around with it to do, but I'm hoping it turns out to be a good shooter with cast.

I like it and the scope. Shoot it proudly and share the results and more pics, Rich!

Banned

I like the old El Paso Weavers too, and the fact that this rifle had a good one on it was certainly a selling point. I did put it in better rings, the ones on it were too high. I'm also going to move it further forward before I get serious working with it.

Guess I'm weird. A guy could walk into Wal Mart and buy a Savage Axis, Remington 770, etc, all scoped and ready to go in a caliber that's easy to find for about the same money or a bit more, but I'll take these used rack treasures any day.

Banned
    very nice rifle!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast