WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mauser Question

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    Very nice richhodg66!

John 242: I worked on a DWM marked 1894 and Brazil tonight with a squared bolt and an FN no thumb cut "93" with a square bolt. What ever they are or are supposed to be they make up to nice rifle in my opinion.
    No doubt. I think the Mauser history and development is pretty interesting stuff and the Pre-98s are neat little rifles.

Something about the Pre-98s in my mind just screams "hunting rifle." Slick, neat little guns.

Boolit Master
    yup, very nice gun! I will take a nice older gun any day over a plastic adorned new one.
    Look twice, shoot once.

You're not alone in Wierdville, Rich! Real wood and steel and craftsmanship for a bargain price. Old sporters catch my eye instantly at the LGS. They are easy to spot amongst all the black plastic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Very nice little rifle. Love the stock. I've been hunting with a Spanish 1916 since the mid '90's. Its a .308, and I know about all the warnings about strength. I handload my ammo and don't really push it all that hard and haven't had any problems.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    there is a forum(don't remember the name) that a fellow shows alot of his work and he is very good. He shows how he welds a washer on the shroud and finishes it off. He did it to divert gas from coming straight back and it looks good. For me I never even thought my reloads would give a pierced primer issue. But safety is good.
    I think your talking about Mauser Central. Theres a lot of good tips on there.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    Very nice little rifle. Love the stock. I've been hunting with a Spanish 1916 since the mid '90's. Its a .308, and I know about all the warnings about strength. I handload my ammo and don't really push it all that hard and haven't had any problems.
    This is one of the beauties of being a handloader, you can download something to be safer and more pleasant to shoot. Wih cast, a guy can download a .308 quite a bit and still have a perfectly adequate deer rifle.

Boolit Master
    Herter's was a big seller of semi-inletted stocks and in their later years offered laminated stocks. I have one I put on a Sako action -- the action also ordered from Herter's. I am still sad about losing the old Herter's -- what a catalog they put out! Here's a pic of mine --
    I chose all-walnut laminations. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aSako7289.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	210228

Quote Originally Posted by John 242 View Post
    Nice looking rifle! Should be a lot of fun. Enjoy it!
    Indeed! Congratulations.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned

This one of mine still has the original two step military trigger. I can live with it, but about a year ago, I got a brand new in the box Dayton Traister trigger at a gun show for a Mauser '98. Could this work on a '93?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by earlmck View Post
    Herter's was a big seller of semi-inletted stocks and in their later years offered laminated stocks. I have one I put on a Sako action -- the action also ordered from Herter's. I am still sad about losing the old Herter's -- what a catalog they put out! Here's a pic of mine --
    I chose all-walnut laminations. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aSako7289.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	210228
    That looks very much like the one on mine. Interesting, I didn't think laminated stocks became a thing until more recently.

Boolit Master

Laminated stock have been around for a long time. The modern glues and epoxies is what made them reliable and worth a little extra effort to work with. The only real drawback I see to them is the increased weight and I can live with that. james

Banned

Hard to see any increased weight on this one. The handling characteristics of this rifle are very good for me, another guy may not like it so well, but I like the slim pistol grip and the balance seems just right, not too light or heavy and well balanced.

The 98 trigger will not work on your gun. A Timney Sportsman trigger is a good choice. I put one on my 93 Mauser and love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I do a simple modification on the standard Mauser triggers , both for the 98 actions and the small ring actions.
    It involves a couple adjustment screws and a 1/4" ball bearing that makes the original trigger, both smoother and adjustable.
    It by far is not as good as a Full replacement trigger like a Timney, but it is one heck of a lot cheaper if you are budget restricted, or just dont want to put money into a cheap sporter.
    And yes it can be done at home with a minimum of tools , like a set of taps ( or just a drill and one tap ) a propane or mapp gas torch ,some solder and a file, two set screws. two nuts and a one ball bearing

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Attachment 209823

This is the rifle in question. Wish I had a chance to get out and shoot some cast loads through it, but won't have time during daylight for a few days.
    I can't tell from the photo which it is but Herter's sold laminated stocks , the usual were walnut on walnut . The walnut on maple were also offered, a very striking look for the 60's . My 1968 Herter's catalog is at my office...there are some nice color examples of the different stock woods they offered. I usually bought English, French or in the case of my Model 95 7x57 Sporter, American Black Walnut with a discount for a small knot on the butt .
    Herter's was a great place for stock blanks in many different woods.
    For some reason this Herter restocked rifle fits me like the proverbial glove. Comes to shoulder with sights aligned....yes the size, shape and curve of the pistol grip are perfect. No other rifle fits me like this one.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 12-26-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123