MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Powder drop tube

Boolit Grand Master

Powder drop tube

I'm working on a new drop tube and stand. Stand is 14" tall and has a "shelf" on the top. Base is 5 1/2" wide and 8" long Shelf is 5 1/2" wide and 13" long. wood is poplar as that's what I had handy. I have a piece of 3/8" of X .250 ID X 36" long brass tubing ordered from online metals. Also a piece of 1/4" thick X 6" wide X 12" long aluminum plate that's going to be a leveling plate.
    My idea is to set the scales ( RCBS Dial o Grain) on the shelf in front of the tube. Drop charge from measure into scales and trickle up if needed. from there a short trip up to the funnel on the drop tube to charge the case. The Belding an Mull measure I use will be on the shelf of the bench along side the stand.
    Ive got the stand about done. ( I'm leveling the pad and shelf with clear epoxy now for a dead level surface to work from). Then Drill and fit the 3/8" hole for the tube. I'm polishing the tube off and on and about done there. I have a funnel made that's a little shallower and bigger than the rcbs are. The rails for the tube are 1 1/2" thick on top a 1" space then a 3/4" rail for a 3 1/4 spacing on the tube. I have to decide on the bottom case funnel. A stop for the tube. and a padded finger grip area for lifting it. I'm thinking a 3/8" brass washer soldered to the tube for the stop, or a 3/8" stop collar ( this would be adjustable also). For the case funnel I haven't truly decided much yet. Ill get the pad and shelf leveled with the clear epoxy and a couple coats of oil on it. Then worry about the case funnel.

Banned

i used a 30" aluminium arrow shaft and funnel, the allen keyed collet set the tub height, and a "washer" cut out of mouse pad foam to keep the granules from bouncing out of the case during the drop ...

Boolit Grand Master

On my old drop tube the tube was 1/2" of aluminum X 3/8" Id. I had a 30 wsm case here I cut the head off of and used that for the end it sat into the case nicely and the shoulder sealed it. Since the smallest cartridge I plan on using in this is 38 caliber ant the largest is 45I may try the same thing here.

Boolit Buddy
    My drop tube is a piece of 3/8 stainless tubing. I flared the bottom so that it sits atop the shell. The stand is made of oak and the bottom piece has a blind 1" hole. I turn brass bushings that sit in the hole with an appropriate center hole to accurately position the brass.

Boolit Buddy
    My drop tubes are made out of that hard plastic (PVC?) plumbing pipe, about 28" taped to a piece of wooden moulding. A funnel is taped to the "top". The ID for one fits a 45-70 case, and the other fits a 38-55 case that will stay in the tube when inserted. No need for a stand.
    Knarley
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    I load for both 45/70 and 40/65, and found the best stop for the tube are o rings. I drilled holes in the oak contraption my drop tube slides into and o rings allow me to move the tube up and down when necessary without loosening any set screws/thumb wheels. When they break or wear out, I put new ones on. They easily hold the copper 30" tube with attached funnel up for extended periods. A lifetime supply would probably set you back $1.39. You can probably buy a large amount of some high performance synthetic rubber o rings for $4.63 if you wanted to splurge.

Like someone else mentioned, I too add a good flair to the bottom of the tube and if it's below the mouth of the case about 1/8" no BP bounces out even with a case full.

I have a couple aluminum arrow shafts as back up, but the copper tubing won't ever wear out.

Boolit Grand Master

I thought about the o rings also. They do work. I'm still thinking on it. The stop collar isn't all that expensive and with a small thumb screw would be secure and quickly adjustable for different case lengths since I recently added 44-40 to my list. Ive also considered turning up a wood ring with a couple o rings in it for the stop. This could be made from a piece of the same poplar and finished the same to match the frame nicely. I'm still thinking on it.

Banned

the only really important item for a drop tube is the "powder washer" to keep the kernals from popping out of the case during the drop.

Attachment 209752Attachment 209753

A drop tube can be made very simple. I have a 10",20" and 32". I use 3/8" OC type K ridged and a 3/8" OD X 5/8" OD sweat adaptor that will fit over a .30-30 case to the .50-90 and it will not spill powder filling the case.
    No stand is needed to hold the tube just put it over the case and drop the powder.

Boolit Grand Master

Well found some clear wood restorer made by JB weld. Its a 2 part epoxy mix clear and hard. I used it to "level" the shelf and pad where the cases will sit. Did a nice Job there leveled out nicely, cured in the stated 12-13 hours had a good working time, and very few air bubbles in it when cured. Grain of the wood shows thru nicely. Appears to be close to the finish Remington uses. I was going to do this with regular clear epoxy but have never been overly pleased with those results. This is for counter tops, Doors, and table tops and such where a very hard durable surface is desired. I have used Mirror coat in the past but it takes application of heat to get bubble out and is a odd mix ratio. This Poplar was pretty open grained so it soaked in good and should make a nice surface. Instructions claim up to 1/8" thick is good or more applications.

Boolit Grand Master

Tested the drop tube today. Used a 270 wsm case for the funnel neck down so it sets into the case and the shoulder centers it. Tube is 3/8" of and 1/4" id 36" long. a rcbs funnel fitted to the top for now. Since the scales sits in front of the tube, I made a lever mechanisim to raise and lower the tube also.

I set it up with the RCBS 505 scales on the shelf. Threw one charge of 68 grns 2 f olde ensforde powder. Got 2 45-90 primed cases and dropped thru the tube. Removed case and weighed it same weight did this 25 times with no bridging or loss of powder. ( till I dropped the case LOL).
    Yesterday I glued the tube in the cut off 270 wsm case to fit it to the tube, its a snug fit and is removeable if desired. I also lightly polished out the tube with 320 grit sand paper on a 3/16 dowel. Straight line polish so lines flow in direction of the flow.
    This drop tube seems to be pretty handy. A extra plus to the lever is a couple 3 quick taps makes sure all the powder is dropped. The lever gives enough travel to go from 44-40 case to 45-90 maybe 45-100 with out readjusting the stop. Used 2 stop collars one for solid stop one for lever to work on.
    Its now useable and ready to go on the bench, I may polish the brass tube bright tomorrow though, just for grins and giggles.
    The top of the shelf and pad were coated with a 1/8" thick coat of clear JB wood restorer for a hard durable surface. You can hardly file or sand it. The poplar I used for thishad been drying for several years since purchased and really sucked up the tru oil finish The handle area of the lever was also finished with 1/8" coat of the JB wood restorer for durability.