Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lanolin Removal when Wet Tumbling

Boolit Grand Master

I lay them on an old towel and spray them with brake cleaner. Roll them around a little and then tumble them. About any degreaser will work. Electrical contact cleaner, brake cleaner, alcohol, ect.

Boolit Master

I tumble, size with lanolin, them put in a glass container filled with lacquer thinner, shake for a bit then drain off the thinner and let dry. Return thinner to glass container for later use. Have used the thinner numerous times without changing. Dries in a hurry with no residue.

Well you fella's have convinced me not to use Lanolin for sizing....

Banned
    i use a 16oz 99% isopropyl alcohol and 2oz of lanolin wax(8:1) to lube my cases. after the resizing is done, the cases are wet tumbed. its a 2lbs(+/-) of ss pins, 2 or 3 squirts of dawn, 9mm case full of lemi shine and then hot water. after 2 - 3 hours , i dry the case cases on towel.

only once month(you can it more or less, depends on your ss pins) i use in my wet tumbler 2lbs(+/-), a liberal splash of oil eater, lemi shine and water. i'll wet tumbe only about 1/2 - 3/4 of hour, then remove the dirty water (about 4 or 5 times) till the water is clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPqK7yN0-4o

this is what i use
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtTxBqOwtnA

i've been doing this for about 2 years and every piece of brass is clean and without lanolin.

https://smile.amazon.com/Oil-Eater-O...er%2FDegreaser

https://smile.amazon.com/Swan-Isopro...30473080&sr=1-

https://smile.amazon.com/Now-Foods-L...s=lanolin+pure

Banned
    I pour 1 oz liquid NOW lanolin in a 12 oz RED bottle of Heet with a boolit, label the bottle, shake and add to old eyeglass cleaner sprayer whenever needed.

I'm converting a bunch of 06 into 8MM so will be trying this soon.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    Well you fella's have convinced me not to use Lanolin for sizing....
    I hate that! Its my favorite and does a great job. Convincing someone to stay clear of it was not my intention. Sorry about that!

Boolit Bub
    As you probably already know, the Dillon commercial case lube is merely lanolin and alcohol. I wrote Dillon once about how to remove the sticky, gooey lanolin. They said put a couple of splashes of 91% or so alcohol in clean corn cob tumbling media and give it a spin in the vibratory tumbler. Works pretty good.

Boolit Master
    I use powdered dish washing machine detergent. 15ml of “Cascade with Dawn” (the Dawn is in powder form in the Cascade box) plus 15 ml of Lemi-shine plus 7.5ml of TSP.
    2 hours in the tumbler with SS pins, cases come out looking like new.

I deprime first with a LEE universal decaping die and clean out the primer pockets, that gets rid of a lot of fouling. After the cases are cleaned and rinsed off, if I want to apply wax I slosh them in a margarine tub with clean water and a little Simonize auto wash & wax. I keep the wax application separate from the cleaning chemicals especially the TSP. TSP will remove the wax.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I just wanted to say thank you wordsmith. Previously clean cases that were tumbled to remove lube came out dull and greasy. I retumbled them with a cap full of woolite and they were spotlessly shiny like freshly minted coins.

IMG_7066[1] by Dean McD
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 06-01-2020 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12