WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atttorney needed - Worth County, Missouri

Boolit Grand Master

Ok, UPS. Contact UPS to make sure they have no record of picking up the shipment. Just issuing a tracking number doesn't mean the Gunsmith actually shipped it. If UPS doesn't have a tracking you have some good advice above. I'd call the local Sheriff, tell him/her the story and ask for a wellness check to make sure the guy is still alive then proceed from there. A visit from local law enforcement might be all that is needed to get the guy moving.
    If he hasn't responded by now maybe something is wrong with him.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    BATF takes a very dim view of missing firearms from an FFL.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    BATF takes a very dim view of missing firearms from an FFL.
    "IF" it's missing.

Boolit Master
    My Experience with attorneys and the court. Is that even if You have a Good case. and You win . Most Likely you will never Get the Item back Or collect on It.. . The party is obligated to pay but most never do. Then go back to Court get The lean and still never get Paid.
    The only One who will get paid Is your attorney. Most small attorneys are not cheap. expect at least $200.00 per
    Hour +
    Good Luck
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    I would like to hear a bit more detail about your UPS tracking number. Things like is the number assigned to the shipper, and is the delivery address to your destination (I think you stated you shipped direct to the 'smith) address. Just having a number and no details leaves a bit of air in this story. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If it goes that way & you get a Lien, take it to the county Sheriff; You'll have to put a deposit in, but next - to get paid - you have them go in and confiscate every computer hard drive & piece of computer related media (floppies, USB Thumb drives, backup tapes, etc.) in their business, to the amount that covers the Lien. Used computer media is not high cost so you will be getting ALL their media; If they don't pay, it's sold at auction & you get the proceeds... Methinks the proprietor will settle in minutes rather than lose all their computerized records, perhaps forever... Friend has done this against spammers who he traced from their emails and made a small fortune doing that, sadly after I moved we lost contact. He does NOT like spammers!

Boolit Master

Did the gunsmith send you photos of your completed firearm as he stated he would in your last message from him four weeks ago?
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Did the gunsmith send you photos of your completed firearm as he stated he would in your last message from him four weeks ago?
    No photographs, no communication since November 20 email quoted in #12.
    TAC14: If I wanted to work with any attorney, I can use search engines as well as many. If I want to put the "Old Boy" network to work on my behalf, I query as in #1. Furnishing superfluous information when I seek on-the-scene legal assistance wastes everyone's time. That legal assistance would be saturated with details that are relevant for the attorney to do the job.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not sure, but this could be a civil matter.
    If it is, LE might not be able to do anything. In hawaii anyway.
    Had a friend give a frame and pay for a job to be done.
    Guy stopped answering calls. Moved.
    Asked a cop to help. He said it's a civil matter and they can't do anything unless the courts tell them to.
    This may just be here. I don't know.
    I'm wondering if the post office would help. It is mail fraud. Even if not with them.
    If this person is as bad as it sounds. We would all like to know who he is. Help someone else from having to go through the same thing.

Boolit Master

What did the police in his town or city say? Still no answer on that whatever. IMHO it is a slam dunk for them so why not. It is criminal fraud not civil problem.

They do not want to help contact city manager or selectmen.

Do not sit and be quiet that does nothing.

Wow that sucks to hear. I used a gunsmith one time that took many months longer to complete a job than what he quoted. Fortunately he was only a few hours away in the same state but eventually came through. Hope you get this settled!
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master

I filed mail fraud charges with Postal Inspection Service.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master

Keep us posted.

Boolit Master

This afternoon I retrieved a package containing a rifle, unused parts, duplicate parts, and a refund-in-full. So far as I am concerned, my Mail Fraud complaint has been satisfied.

Having examined the work done on the rifle, I understand why he was extremely reluctant to return it - or acknowledge my existence. The rifle I sent was a Rossi Model 92 stainless steel carbine in 454 Casull. Including Braz-Tech parts and parts from other Rossi stainless steel 92s of the same caliber, I was to receive a lookalike of a [black] Ceracoted® Winchester Model 1892 45 Colt rifle with 24-inch octagon barrel within a dyed rosewood laminated birch stock, checkered. Of course there were many nuances I am omitting for brevity.

The acceptable work: I wanted a straight grip converted to half-pistol grip. My initial examination shows this to be done effectively.

Regarding the remainder of the work, it is - by at least one order of magnitude - the worst work and workmanship I've seen. Where to begin? Well, the rosewood laminated birch stock ain't. It is some garish mishmash of colors. How anyone who is not legally blind can mistake the stock blank from which he worked to the stock blank I identified for him by graphic, description, and specific vendor from whom to order is a mystery. I am not denigrating those with poor eye sight. I am accurately judging an impossible misidentification, for there is no other way to describe except as having been done deliberately. It goes downhill from this beginning.

The worst facet of my experience and upon my initial examination of my rifle is that it is so grotesque that my enthusiasm for my rifle-revolver combination has altered to a loathing. I hope my loathing will abate over time. Perhaps after a gunsmith whom I trust verifies the rifle is safe to shoot, and feeds cartridges without any problems, I'll pop a few caps and begin to accept it?

If you are a doubter that the converted rifle cannot be that poorly done, contact me to arrange to examine it and judge for yourself.

The name of the person with whom I contracted for my conversion is Regan Nonneman.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Dang. Sorry for your problems, at least you got something back; I don't know if it'd be worth it to sue them in small claims court over this, but if you do that I can tell you how to collect, given a judgement (Basically you go to their places' sheriff office or the like and go through a procedure there, and confiscate property if they won't pay, the sheriff then sells it to pay for your judgement's value - Usually if you pick the right items they'll pay promptly...)

Super Moderator

Very disappointing to hear. That guy needs to hang up his hat and quit business IMHO. I'm glad you disclosed who it was so we can all avoid problems in the future. Very sorry for you Sir.

Boolit Master

Will be seeking a competent gunsmith who works on Winchester 1892s and clones

Moderator: If you think this kind've windy post should be a thread OP in LEVERGUNS subforum, please make it so.

I've had the thing for more than a day. The conversion of lever and bottom tang to half-pistol grip is not a good job, contrary to what I typed previously. It appears that the thing will need extensive surgery to metamorphose to my lookalike [Winchester] Rossi Model 92 rifle with shotgun butt. Many people out there claim to be competent gunsmiths - not merely parts' replacers. Those of you who have had metal work comparable with subtle reshaping of bottom tang and lever and making a rifle stock from a stock blank (unless someone can identify a source for stock sets for 1892 and clones having half-pistol grips) please make a recommendation whom I may call to chat. Smiths like Steven Hughes, John King, Steve Young are so backed up with work, I've ruled them out. Since I don't require a "great" job, merely a good one, I hope to hold down my cost while increasing the likelihood of my rifle's completion more quickly. I would even go so far as to have the existing garish wood adjusted to be functional - if that can be done. And I'm not confident it can be.

I'm experiencing a meltdown. That's the main reason for my jabbering at you by keyboard. What I need is a decent, reasonably priced, relatively speedy gunsmith who is really a gunsmith and not just a parts' replacer. I had believed I had one. I was wrong.

Boolit Master

Unfortunate and as you have discovered good gunsmiths are booked way out. I would get in the waiting que with one as the lines are not getting any shorter.

Best of luck to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12