Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone hunt with a 30-40 Krag?

Anyone hunt with a 30-40 Krag?

Gentlemen I recently picked up a Winchester 1895 in 30ARMY. Has anybody used this cartridge with success? Plan on using it for black bear here in Maine.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

I've killed two bucks and a doe instantly with the .30-40 Krag. The 180 gr at 23-2400 fps will do what needs to be done.
    One of the greats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

No, but I'm going to. Picked up a very nicely sporterized Krag which is a very good shooter with the 311284. It'll find it's way into a deer stand with me eventually.

Many feel the .30-40 is the ultimate cast bullet cartridge.

I use it's British counterpart, the legendary 303. JW

Banned

I got that exact same rifle.
    if I can get within 150 yds I can kill it.

except turkey silhouettes,,,, those I got a problem with.

I have been thinking about the same thing. I have a carbine that produces amazing accuracy with 311284s at 1800 fps. I haven't hunted it because I'm nervous that round nose will only pencil it's way through at that speed. What would you guys consider the minimum parameters to go out and kill deer/bear with this cartridge?
    Last edited by Whelen; 12-13-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Boolit Master

If you are worried about expansion you could cast some BruceB soft points for hunting -

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ntional-Moulds

Quote Originally Posted by 380AUTO View Post
    Gentlemen I recently picked up a Winchester 1895 in 30ARMY. Has anybody used this cartridge with success? Plan on using it for black bear here in Maine.
    I have the same rifle, vintage 1900, which is my go to hunting rifle for anything larger than porcupines. I use a paper patched 215 grain cast bullet from Accurate Molds over 42 grains of Reloader 19. It is an accurate and effective load and rifle which I would use on anything in the Western Hemisphere.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I have been packing an 1898 springfield 30 USArmy since I was 11 years old. My Krag always makes the trip to hunting camp. I would hate to try to guess how many deer and elk that rifle has taken down. I am 70 now.

Boolit Master
    I used a 99 krag carbne with the 311299 cast bullet to take a 8 point. one shot just under the neck between the front legs it came out past the ribs on the left side.

In Remembrance

The Krag that I bought from an estate sale had photos and load info for it from the gunsmith that had sportered it. His data was for using the Speer 165 gr. SP. He took deer, black bear and an elk with this bullet combo. Myself I haven`t taken it hunting since getting it and the 11 boxes of ammo that came with it.Robert

I killed my first deer with a Krag rifle in 1959. I paid $15.00 for the rifle and still have it. Over the years more deer and lesser game have been taken with it. The round is one of the best every developed for deer and even larger game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krag Rifle.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

The Krag rifle is a marvel of design and a better built rifle you will not find. The cartridge is ideal for hunting.
    If I can ever afford it, I'll have a Hi Wall or Rolling Block so chambered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    5 bucks, untold doe and a few black bears. i use 170 - 220 gr cast. mostly it uses 2400 but i'll go 4198 for time to time.

Boolit Grand Master

Hit search and see my posts about hunting with the 30-40 and my loads. Deer, coyotes, cats rabbits and squirrels all with various cast loads over the last 50 years.

Boolit Master
    I have killed hogs a plenty with the 30-40 in a Krag sporter and this year did a "retro" elk hunt with it. Loaded 210 grs 311284 over IMR4227, a good 200 yard load. Sadly, my hunt was cut short due to a work "emergency", so I never got a shot in.

Is your 1895 an original ? Ken Waters did a good Pet Loads on loading for the original and a Browning reproduction 1895, which will take somewhat hotter loads than the Krag rifle. I also have a Ruger No. 3 in 30-40, and in that rifle, the 30-40 is essentially a 30-06 Lite.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen I'm super excited about using it on my next hunt I've always wanted an original 1895 and I finally got one. Mine was made in 1928. I still need to develop a cast load for it I have various molds from lee and ideal in the 180-220 grain range. I think I'll start with my old ideal SC 311284
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Grand Master

Keep us posted on your project, 380. I have an original 1895 that's a range toy, can't see the factory sights well enough for hunting. I've always felt the 30US with a heavy boolit would make a great hunting round. Maybe I'll find one with a Lyman site someday and find out for myself.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    My 98 krag was made in 98 according to the serial number. I only run about 17 gr of 2400 behind the 311041 with a small HP. 1800 fps or a little less. Very pleasant to shoot, quite accurate and experience has shown me that I needn't fear MO. Whitetails very bad.

Aperture rear and fiber optic front make it usable for my old eyes.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    I was pretty hot on getting a Krag for a while, but my fatherinlaw, a gunsmith of many years, pointed out that there is only one locking lug and suggested picking the bolt out of my teeth might be problematic. I guess it isn't exactly the strongest design. I love the way they look, though. Sort of steampunk...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast