RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marginal hunting loads????

Boolit Buddy

Marginal hunting loads????

This term has come to really irritate me. I just finished reading Surfdog's hunting story, and someone mentioned how they had heard that a 44 was a "marginal" hunting load. I try not to judge people to much on their choice of weapons for hunting. I figure that a person hunts with what they have and what they know. But I have come to believe that the term "marginal hunting load" must be some kind of a liberal term. A few years ago, this guy that always camped in the same area as us, met myself and a friend on the trail. He had a brand new rifle that year. So I asked him, whatcha got there? He tells me it's a 300 RUM. I told him it was a nice looking rifle, and asked how it shot. He tells me all about it. So I tell him sounds like a dandy. So he asked me what I had. I told him it was a 35 Whelen. Then he begins to tell me how that might not be enough rifle for that country. I asked him politely not to tell the elk, as so far they hadn't figured it out. Heck my Dad used to feed us with a mode 94 in 32 Win Spl. None of those critters new he didn't have enough rifle for the country. Sorry for the long rant, it just amazes me when people make statements like that.

Boolit Mold
    I agree with you especially with modern bullets. Bullet technology has all but negated cartridge selection. However, I hesitate to assume everything I don’t agree with originated with the liberals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such statements and opinions are often expressed by those who know a lot of wrong stuff.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

YES!! And the older I get the smaller recoil guns are my go to guns
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    YES!! And the older I get the smaller recoil guns are my go to guns
    Mike
    You are surely right about that. I'm doing some load development for my old "Red Ryder" for deer. Hahaha

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    "Marginal" ranks right up there with "Hard Cast",,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

"we" as a species, are pretty judgmental.
    in another thread, "we" dumped on people using too much gun, another, too little gun.

i'll speak up if i'm in the vicinty of unsafe behavior, but not about a "legal for state" choice in hunting cartridge.
    light or heavy.

i just want to eat!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    As soon as I heard he was shooting a throat burner like a .300 RUM, I would have discounted any firearm opinion from that point.
    Anyone who thinks a .35 Whelen is not enough gun in hunting, adds to that view that he is a bit foolish.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

The gunwriters write articles so that the manufacturers cans sell guns which pay the gunwriters salary. This creates eggspurts who have read the almighty word of the writers and believes it to be true.

I would go on a limb and say that more animals have probably been killed with a .22lr than any other caliber. The trend as I see it is to shoot animals from a great distance. The hunting/stalking aspect is no longer viable for these nimrods. I like to get close and make a precise shot into the vitals.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Kind of reminds me of a story an ol' Montana buddy told me one time.......

Three out of state elk hunters were in National Forest woods in Montana. They stepped on everything that made noise and the old man heard them coming..... As they walked into the old man's camp they jumped as they finally saw him.

"You see any bull elk?" One asked the old man.
    "Nope", He replied.
    "You huntin' elk?" The younger of the group asked.
    "Naw.... Take one if I see him."

The younger one showed the old man his new gun. It was a then newly introduced .350 Remington Magnum. The younger one was proud of his gun as he explained its attributes.
    "Kinda like a .35 Whelen from what you are sayin'." The old man spoke....
    "NO! Way more power than that old thing!"
    "Yah don't say?" The oldster said.
    "Yeah if you can hit him! That thing shoots about as flat as a rainbow!" The more senior city slicker teased holding his .300 Weatherby high in the air.
    "How far yah think you can shoot in these woods?" The old man grinned.

Seeing the old man had irritated his father some the younger asked the old man, "What you shooting?"
    "It's leanin' gainst the tree to your left"

The three out of staters looked over..... The irritated one laughed as he looked at the octagon barreled lever action Winchester and said: "What is that? An old .44-40?"
    "Naw..... Ain't that old! It's a Model 94. The old man answered.
    "So you hunt elk with a .30-30?" The Weatherby shooter said sarcastically.
    "No..... It ain't a .30-30. It's a .25-35."
    Weatherby laughed until he had tears in his eyes. "You can't kill an elk with a .25-35! What's the matter with you?"
    The old man just looked at him. "How many elk have you killed with your fancy gun?"
    "Well....... None with this gun."
    "Well..... How many elk you killed all together?" The old man grinned
    "Ahhh..... None. But I've killed a lot of deer!"

"Well son...... That ol' .25-35 there has killed seven elk. Seems to me you really don't know what will kill an elk do you?"

"Marginal" could describe some hunters as well right along with an opinion about a "Marginal Load".

Eutectic

I've never hunted a "marginal" before. They any good to eat, or are they just trophy species?

Boolit Master
    Saying "marginal load" is like saying "marginally dead". Either it works or it doesn't.

In the pistol data section of the Accurate Arms reloading manual there is an entry for 30-30, and it starts off with a question. To paraphrase: when is a cartridge too weak for hunting when fired from a rifle, yet great for hunting when fired from a pistol?

Boolit Buddy
    Even in the late 1970's on the northern edge of the Adirondack Mountains, it wasn't uncommon to see hunters still carrying Winchester 92's in 38-40 and 44-40. There were a fair number of 94's in 25-35 as well. Those big northern deer fell just fine to such "marginal" rounds. Just as they do today to those who keep the nostalgic fire burning.

There was a great thread with vintage pictures on the Vintage Autoloaders forum. The thread is still there but the pictures are victims of the recent photobucket debacle. The thread storied the life of the poster's grandfather, who moved to northern Alberta and hunted all his life with a Remington model 8 in 25 Remington. He took deer, elk, moose and bear with it as well as innumerable varmints. Marginal?
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

I'll throw in my .02$
    Shot placement is #1 and I think that one should use a caliber that they can afford to practice with & enjoy shooting . I watched a poor guy at a public range go through 2 boxes of 300 Win.mag.. The barrel was so hot you could see the heat mirage coming off it. He was just chasing the group around from the hot barrel , I know he had to hurt .
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Nothing like someone telling me that a particular rifle isn’t enough gun to inspire me to go hunting with it. I have been told that about my 250 savage, 7.62x39 and 357 mag rifles , all have cleanly taken deer with one shot , bang flop kills .
    One year my good friend shot a 4 pointer with his 300 win mag , good shot blew up the heart but it still ran off for about 30 yards . And I bang flopped a huge buck with my 357 mag Carbine. He joking started referring to me as the a**hole that could get a bang flop with a daisy red Ryder
    The funniest one was a 270 fan who thought I was hunting with a 30-30 and proceeded to lecture me on how that was a completely inadequate cartridge . I simply ejected the shell from the chamber of my 444 marlin and handed it to him ,shut him up instantly.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Saying "marginal load" is like saying "marginally dead". Either it works or it doesn't.
    Is that similar to "overkill"? Meaning I killed it too much?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned
    oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if a 44mag is marginal, i better throw away my 44sp!!!! i've killed many deer with the special and it was going 800fps!!!! i didn't know it, honest.

honestly, i don't care. i shoot my guns way, way below what is considered standard. i shoot my 444 marlin about 1700fps(280gr wfn gc/26.0gr of 2400), when, in all honestly, it should be going at least 2300fps. the 45-70 and 405gr fn is going 1300fps and the 500L and 465gr lfn gc is going 1200fps. i could go on and on.

Boolit Buddy
    I like marginal. Took my deer this year with a cast 44 special from a handi rifle. Dropped where it was standing. Not much more to be said. Now if I was hunting open areas I might change things up a bit but from a tree stand in thick woods it is all I ever need.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Such statements and opinions are often expressed by those who know a lot of wrong stuff.
    Yup known as liberals

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast