Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fryxell's Home Made Moly Lube - Experiences/ Opinion?

Boolit Master
    I ginned some of this stuff up years ago after reading the label on sta-lub. Using a .454 sized boolit and some of this loob I proceeded in 'cleaning up' the barrel in a well used and slightly neglected Colt M1917 revolver. Like others have reported there was a grey wash over things, but no leading. Light rifling reappeared in what I thought was a fully shot out barrel. Close range accuracy came back a bit also. I was actually quite pleased with the results. Somewhere back on the old Shooters board there was a discussion of this with our dearly departed friend, Felix, explaining a little bit about the ingredients of the grease. I did not cared for the odor when fired, but still use it occasionally, as I have a Ly 450 still loaded with some.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    There are so many lube recipes to choose from that don’t have that dirty black moly in them.
    Pick one of those instead, that moly is dirty stuff to be around. Think about others on the firing line getting their kit and cloths fogged by your guns moly smoke.
    Don’t be that guy that’s requests info for the cleanest burning propellant powder then proceeds to lube his bullets with a home made lube containing moly. A moly stain can never be removed.

Boolit Buddy
    Some one posted that they have busted Pyrex vessels while attempting to melt this concoction in a microwave oven . Same thing happened to me as I forgot about Moly being a metal and not compatible with microwaves .

Boolit Grand Master

Neither Moly nor lithium grease really melts into a liquid. The best you can do is repeated heating and blending with a metal whisk . I do it in an old crock pot , heating , blending and cooling three times to get a good incorporation.

My favorite mix is:
    3 parts beeswax to 1 part lithium (Lucas Red-N-Tacky) grease ...aka Lithi-Bee .
    If this is too soft add a bit of paraffin wax to firm it up.

When using moly grease would it be Moly-Bee?

I was advised by a commercial lube maker to do it outdoors , keep a fire extinguisher and pot lid handy when making lube. Beeswax will flash into fire at 450 degrees and it is scary when it does.

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-05-2018 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added warning about fire
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I have used it for a while and like it. I modified the recipe a little by adding 3 for those small paraffin chafing dish candles to 8 oz by weight of the molly and 8 oz of beeswax. This makes it a little stiffer and I can pan lube with it or use it in my RCBS sizer.

COOK IT OUTSIDE, cause it do stink. I use an old mental pan on my hot plate and sssllloooowwwlllyyy heat the grease till it is thin goo and then take it off the heat, add the bees wax and the 3 candles and stir it like you do when adding butter to peanut brittle. The wax will slowly melt and blend with the moly lube until it thickens too much. I let it cool down till it is cold and then remelt the mess, stirring and blending with a wood paint stick. Let it cool again and then reheat it to melting a third time. At this point the lube and beeswax are pretty well blended so I then pour into stick molds or muffin pans and into the freezer. Did I mention that the melting moly grease is really stinky when it get really hot!

I use it on my 223 to my 454 Casull getting ready to use it on a 17 Hornet once I can get some brass empty. I don't pay much attention to the smoke since I shoot at an outdoor range only.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Both Tungsten Disulfide and Molydium Disulfide will work well. Both are blue gray powders, They melt about the same temp (Tungsten 2,280 degrees F, Molydium 2165 degrees F); They have similar friction coefficients (Tungsten .03 and Molydium .02)
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Bub
    I tried it and it works, but didn't care for the smell when I was on the firing line, plus I din't like getting the stuff on my skin. Went with Felix Lube instead, which is a little bit more difficult to blend but I am very happy with that.

Boolit Master
    I recently mixed up a batch per Glen's directions. Measured out the weight of the grease on a old balance beam scale with equal weight of beeswax. Heated in old 2 qt. aluminum pitcher from our camping days. When it was going good, I found out the pitcher had a tiny hole in the bottom. Pulled it off the fire before it could make a mess. It has hardened to a solid, much like a Hershey bar, and drag your finger over it, and you can feel the slipperiness. Bought a replacement pitcher, now just need time to re-melt and pour into the Star. I have not doubt that it will work as Glen said.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any thoughts on how the original mix works in hot temps? (summer)

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Any thoughts on how the original mix works in hot temps? (summer)

I would imagine it works well!
    Glen and I live about 60 miles apart on the hot desert side of Washington state in the summer it can get over 100 really easy with normal temps every day in the high 80's to mid 90's with tons of sunshine....

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks. I'm a Ben's Red devotee, but always looking for new stuff. This will be new for me. Summers here in Maryland can be brutal.

Two observations of Glen's lube:

It requires a lot of heat, much more that a double boiler (with water) can provide to melt the grease into the beeswax.

It is foul smelling, smoky, and stains. I don't like how it feels on the skin, and requires more than soap to get off. Fast Orange works. Also, it doesn't hold in grooves well, not very sticky. Also softer than I like. It is outstanding for Lee tumble lube style bullets if you want to pan lube them, however.

Boolit Bub
    I'm making 1 part beeswax, 1 part SL3330 Sta-lube Moly-Graph Lith grease, 1/3 part Valvoline Mercon V ATF. Shooting .44 Rem. Mag. in my 2 Ruger Super Blackhawks (10.5" & 7.5" barrels). Using 2 moulds (Lyman Devastator & NOE). I've turned down both moulds' hp pins to reduce hp cavities to .140" diameter (much thicker bullet walls). Lyman casts 280 grs. NOE casts 260 grs. Excellent results on paper & game!

Boolit Master
    I think that anything greasy or waxy with sufficient MoS2 mixed in will be just as effective as the complex cook ups.I have noticed that when using moly lube ,lead will not stick to a barrel,even heavy leading is a black sludge which is easily washed out with wire brushes and solvent.There are many instances in machinery maintenance where a heated or seized babbit bearing has been "rescued" with moly,and made to run cool again until a shutdown can be arranged.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12