Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: A new reloader, joining our ranks.

A new reloader, joining our ranks.

This summer, due to enough overtime, I decided to finally buy myself a 1911 in 45acp. I intend to shoot mainly cast, using J-words for EDC.
    When my sister saw it, she fell in love. So being the nice brother I am, I bought her her own. Now she wants to load for it!
    After laying out the many options, she decided she wanted to use an Original Lee Loader, knowing it's operations. She says she wants me to cast my Lee TL 230/TC bullets, and PC them, for her to load with!
    Think we've got another reloader hooked! Next, teach her to cast (but don't tell her!)
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Master

I'm a LEE CLASSIC LOADER aficionado. Used my classic 45 for a long time until I succumbed to my wife's complaints about the amount of noise it generated. Solved our mutual problem by buying a T mag press. Still do all my de-priming with the LEE punches and bases. Fast and keeps my sizing dies clean.
    I did have issues with getting enough case tension in sized brass to hold seated bullets tight. Even after driving the cases all the way flush into the base of the sizing sleeve, about every 7th round I could twist the seated bullet with a pair of pliers. From what I can tell the LEE classic doesn't crimp autoloader rounds. The kit instructions kind of allude to this & suggest a crimp die for autoloader rounds. Had the same issue with 9 mm, just not so often. When loading rimmed cases you can use the funnel end of the sizing die to crimp the bullet into the case. Not so on autoloaders. Something your sister may have to watch for.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    What a smart girl !! your parents taught her well .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master
    It won't take her long before that original Lee Loader gets REAL OLD, if she is feeding a 1911A1-series pistol. The opposite extreme--becoming a Dillonista--might be a bridge too far as well. My preferences settle out somewhere between single-stage Rockchucker and Ponsness-Warren Metal-Matic turret press.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    It won't take her long before that original Lee Loader gets REAL OLD, if she is feeding a 1911A1-series pistol. The opposite extreme--becoming a Dillonista--might be a bridge too far as well. My preferences settle out somewhere between single-stage Rockchucker and Ponsness-Warren Metal-Matic turret press.
    So where does a Lyman 310 tool fit in there?

Big Welcome to the Ranks

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Dillonista??...................She gets a Square Deal B in .45 acp, it’s over. Cast, load,shoot, repeat. Just my .02. I’m glad she’s on board!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I think it would be a bit better to get her something like a Lee Classic Cast Turret press. Much easier to use than the whackamole kits and provides good volume of production.
    Particularly while she is developing her reloading skills.

Boolit Grand Master

There is nothing wrong with a Lee Loader. Some say it's too slow. Well Mr. Lee has a youtube video of him assembling a bottle necked round in less than 50 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc It would take longer if a scale was used to weigh powder. Some say they produce inaccurate ammo, but for a while the record for smallest group @ 1,000 yards was held by a shooter that used a Lee Loader. Some object to the "noise", but see how "loud" the Lee Loader is in the video (all ya gotta do is think and you can use a Lee Loader quietly). I have used them since '69 (along with 4 presses, 14 die sets, 4 scales, and 1.43 metric tons of various reloading tools) and find them to be very worthwhile, but maybe not "sophisticated" enough for some...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

The Lee loader is handy for small volume, especially if space to work is limited. It's not bad to have one around even if you get a regular press. I have only used a Lee Loader for 20 ga shotshells, but for the volume of ammo I used it was fully adequate. You can build up a reloading shop a piece at a time; it even gives you some leverage around gift-giving occasions (Xmas and birthdays) to get another piece of equipment for her.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Being a good brother means getting her a Lee die set, M style expander and inexpensive single stage press. Or just reload for her.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    I never meant to imply that a Lee Loader assembled inaccurate ammunition. Quite the contrary--my 30-06 and 223 ammo so loaded in the early days of my refilling hobby did some VERY accurate shooting for me. I was pretty happy with their ammo output for bolt rifle feeding. Once I progressed to 38 Special for my first wheelgun (S&W Model 28 x 6"), things started getting a mite S-L-O-W in my 21-year-old mind. Had I been feeding a 1911A1 or a 9mm, conversion to press-loading would likely have taken even less time to occur. But there were (and are) NO flies on ammo assembled with a Lee Loader.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I've used the Lee Loader since '94. I own them in 38/357, .41 magnum, 222 Remington, and 7x57. Loaded my first cartridge with one, 41 mag. I also own/use the 310 for 4 cartridges. Use a Lee 3 hole turret, a Lee hand press, and 2 RCBS Partners. She will shoot only enough to stay competent for defense, and chose the Lee Loader due to space and cost. We will get her a hand primer of her choice though. I quit priming with the Loader after the third hole in my ceiling from the rod
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Grand Master

If her concern is room and a place to reload - for years when the kids were small I used an RCBS JR3, a board under the table and a towel between the table and the press, clamped to either the dining room table or the breakfast bar. Load and when done pack everything up and put it away - closet or such- and you are done. The hardest part of the process was keeping the RCBS 505 out of the kids hands, and failed! Had to replace that. This was all packed into a salesman's case for years, with foam insert cut out to hold the reloading equipment when not being used.

It can be done with a traditional press, you just have to think about how to do it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Welcome aboard! I like the way your sister thinks. While there are certainly easier and faster methods to reload, the old Lee Classic Loader still has merit. I have two of them, one for 9mm and one for 38spc/.357 Mag in my bug out kit. If the SHTF I still have the ability to reload on the fly. Wachamole....I like that Tazman.

Boolit Grand Master

A step up from the Classic Loader is the Lee Hand Press. Still a hand tool but it uses dies and eliminates the Whack-A-Mole pounding and noise factor.
    I load all my handgun and 30-30 with one. Nifty little tool that comes in handy for several things.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Heck, get her the little Lee C frame cast aluminum press and a set of dies. You can go from there.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Don't forget about Randy Buchanan's reloading tool (W. R. Buchanan is his handle here).
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris