Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Reloading Press - From Bald Eagle

Boolit Master
    For my wants it would be great, except that I can't see paying that much.

Kinda like buying that c press that Sinclair sells for some ungodly amount to load .308's.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Mold
    My buddy up bought one it is built like a brick **** house,you won't wear it out,and yes it does have a shell holder cover to keep the shell holder in place

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    The Hollywood Seniors have two positions in the links, one for reloading and one for bullet swaging. My tall Hollywood Senior has the same mechanical advantage in the swaging position as my Corbin CSP-1 does. They both swage bullets with the same amount of effort, with the same results.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Your Hollywood makes that Rockchucker look like a miniature

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    A C press can be OK if the shellholder is given enough freedom to avoid any sideload on the case as the frame flexes..........has no one ever heard of a tiebar....all the old C presses had a removable tiebar . As anyone who has ever used a c frame arbor press can tell,the frame also flexes off to one side,and needs stiffening at the sides of the C.......which the oldtime makers also allowed for......Price is waaaay to much,under $100 might sell.........................I meant to ask.....where is your computer made?
    I just looked it up on Grizzly's website and it is listed for $95.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    . I have determined that the dies themselves and what you push in/pull out of them, makes more difference that the press they are used in.
    No more truthful words have ever been spoken. ALL presses flex, it's just a matter of degree. Those who engineer presses design them so the flex is well below anything that would affect accuracy. The worst "spring/flex" we have to deal with is our cases and they change (work harden) every time they're used!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    Hmm. Not designed for tall cartridges. A C-press, so it won't work well for tasks like resizing 7.62mm MG brass. ......
    Maybe, but I think lube is the biggest factor to successfully size 7.62 MG brass. I sized 500 rounds or so on my RCBS Summit press, and yes nearly stuck brass until I realized that my favorite Imperial was not up to the task. I tried Lanolin.....just a little better, then discovered that plain ole RCBS lube on a pad worked the best, and powdered mica worked best and easiest in the necks and prevented the stretching that occurred and ruined a few pieces of brass in the beginning with Imperial.

It was, I admit, a harder test than it had to be, since I was using my RCBS Small Base sizer , hoping to size once. LC 7.62 MG brass in my experience (some older batches) spring back too much and require another sizing. Anyway I was pleased with the final results.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I just looked it up on Grizzly's website and it is listed for $95.
    you can find it in their close-out section
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

That hammertone green paint may be changing as the Hammerite company no longer ships it to the US. If they are painted overseas thats another matter altogether. It was a great paint that the EPA determined just wasnt friendly enough for us.
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 02-19-2021 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Removed sentence that is against the rules.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I like the looks of that press. I am a sucker for the massive presses anyway. Might have to do a little maneuvering around to come up with some cash. james
    Have you looked at Redding's massively strong Ultra-Mag?

Banned
    The Bald Eagle press s no longer in production, it's an instant collector providing you can find one.

Does Grizzly supply any support or warranties for their discontinued items?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    How many reloaders, not bench rest reloaders that check concentricity for every round, could/can actually tell if their press flexes?
    Valid question. Seems most folk have read so much about press flex they assume it must be true; not so much!

I doubt if more than 1 or 2% of reloaders actually have the proper tools to check press flex or know how to use them if they do. If they did, there would be much less certainty about "C" frame press flex. And there would be much less certainty about how rigid cast iron "O" presses are.

Total press strength? Well, I've seen web photos of broken top straps on the vaunted Rock Chuckers; seems nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently determined fool.

I know for a tested fact (with a dial indicator calibrated in tenths of a thousant) that supposedly "rigid" RCs actually flex something like 3-4 thou when FL sizing .30-06 and I've tested old "C" presses that flexed very little more.

Fact is, up to a point, cast iron is much more flexible than most people realize. That flexibility keeps cast iron from shattering like glass due to sudden impact.

I have an old Pacific C press that has done every reloading operation, successfully and accurately for over 40 years (I got it used). Occasionally a C press is reported to breakage, but how often and how was it used? I kinda think "press strength" is akin to horsepower, how many drivers really need 450+ horsepower when not towing just like a press not used for swaging?
    True. I've been doing this since 1965 and never heard of an honestly broken "C" press frame. And no conventional "reloading" press is built for the stresses of swaging anyway.

The old "C" presses were all much better designed and made than most folk realise. Their primary weakness was the simple leverage toggle, the compound lever links are vastly more powerful than what the old "C" had.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234