WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Reloading Press - From Bald Eagle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    hey...he runs a pretty clean bench...can't say that for loads of others who post bench pictures!
    Well, mine was pretty clean when I first built it... And then I started actually *using* it and it all went downhill from there...

Boolit Grand Master

New Reloading Press - From Bald Eagle

I win

That may have been the day I mounted a press for the first time. This one is more accurate.

There's plenty of Chinese goods to be found in the pic so don't call me out

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Well, mine was pretty clean when I first built it... And then I started actually *using* it and it all went downhill from there...
    I know that! Every week or so I have to clean up last weeks mess to get started on this weeks mess!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I win

That may have been the day I mounted a press for the first time. This one is more accurate.

There's plenty of Chinese goods to be found in the pic so don't call me out
    You may have a severe case of 'OCD' ...'Neat Freak Syndrome'! But...I like your bench!

Boolit Master

I know that! Every week or so I have to clean up last weeks mess to get started on this weeks mess!
    Last *week*???

Hell, I've still looking for stuff from the previous *century*...

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Last *week*???

Hell, I've still looking for stuff from the previous *century*...
    "Huh...what the heck are we talking about...? R U trying to say that your bench is liken to an 'Archi-something type dig'? Layers, levels of sediment from times past?

Ha...that's a good one!"

Boolit Grand Master

You may have a severe case of 'OCD' ...'Neat Freak Syndrome'! But...I like your bench!
    Nowhere near severe. But I can't stand a cluttered work area. That's how accidents happen. I make my living working out of a van, or Pelican case lately, so organization is key.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    It also looks like the ram is hollow and spent primers come out the bottom. That is better than a tray to catch them.
    Except that you can't prime on the press, each case has to be removed to re-prime. Anyway, despite the beefy design, O-frames are stronger than C-frames, but I still use and have a C-frame for certain tasks. I wouldn't do 50 BMG on this one though.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

"Huh...what the heck are we talking about...? R U trying to say that your bench is liken to an 'Archi-something type dig'? Layers, levels of sediment from times past?

Ha...that's a good one!"
    Well, I suspect that there is some fossilized guncotton and mercury fulminate primers under there *somewhere*...

Well it looks to me to have the open design of a C press with strength more typically found in an O press. If primers drop through ram that is a feature I really like. Not in the market for a $219 press but if I was this one would be getting a second and probably a third look. I still have my heart set on a Lee Classic Cast O press at 1/2 the price of this one even if this one is a nice looking press and if someone gave me one I wouldn't see the need to buy the Lee Classic cast that's for sure.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I don't believe the evaluation of a tool makes one a hater. While the old Hollywood's are cool they do not have the mechanical leverage of modern presses.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

It ain't so much about swaging...it's appreciation for 'American Steel' and fine craftsmanship. If they were concerned about swaging I'm sure they could afford a press just for that.
    Regular rifle/pistol loading is a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    I don't believe the evaluation of a tool makes one a hater. While the old Hollywood's are cool they do not have the mechanical leverage of modern presses.
    The Hollywood Seniors have two positions in the links, one for reloading and one for bullet swaging. My tall Hollywood Senior has the same mechanical advantage in the swaging position as my Corbin CSP-1 does. They both swage bullets with the same amount of effort, with the same results.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    The Hollywood Seniors have two positions in the links, one for reloading and one for bullet swaging. My tall Hollywood Senior has the same mechanical advantage in the swaging position as my Corbin CSP-1 does. They both swage bullets with the same amount of effort, with the same results.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    But Fred swaging a bullet uses a shorter stroke than full length case forming. You are NOT making a valid comparison.

You do not have that greater mechanical advantage for case forming and reloading.
    EDG

The Hollywood pictured will full length size .50 BMG cases fired in machine guns. I have no need for a press that will do more than that, so I'm not sure what you're saying. Sure, it's an old design, but it works as well as any of my newer presses. My smaller Hollywood Senior isn't big enough to size .50 BMG, or has an opening big enough to comfortably load my .45-120 Sharps ammunition, but this one does, and does it with ease.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by RGMJ View Post
    Guys,

Just found this new press from Bald Eagle. I thought it was an RCBS. It looks good and handy for med to heavy reloading jobs. Here is the description :

"Designed by a member of the USA Shooting Team for preparation and loading of match ammo, the Bullets.com Bald Eagle Heavy Duty-Match Press (Model #BE1218) is designed as a versatile, single-stage reloading press. Featuring a heavy-duty and cast-iron C-frame design, this press enables match shooters to perform body and neck sizing, primer decapping, case-mouth expansion and bullet seating accurately. Weighing 22 lbs., the Model BE1218 has two mounting holes for added stability. The 12.5-inch press handle can be positioned for right- or left-handed use. The heavy-duty, 1.125-inch wide ram with a 3.85-inch stroke and 4.95-inch throat height accommodates a variety of brass cases for handguns and rifles. "

What do you guys think ?
    I do not care HOW heavy duty it says it is. When I see a C frame press, I just laugh and think only good for sizing bullets and decapping... Seriously, I hate C frames. Even though that does look beefy, I still say NO. It should have been an O frame.

Boolit Grand Master

Its a nice looking press but I'm a big fan of the "O" frame design. The pictures of those old Hollywood presses is really cool!

Boolit Master
    I have a large lot of SL54 30-06 GI brass that was fired in machine guns. This brass takes at least twice the resizing effort the first time it is resized than it takes after being fired in my rifle.

I set up a high quality Brown & Sharp Best Test .0005 dial test indicator to measure frame deflection. The mag base was mounted to the press base where it is clamped to the table. The indicator contact was placed in contact with the top of the bushing adjacent to the die. The press frame stretched .002 the first time a case was cycled. If I backed off the handle a little and then repeated the sizing stroke there was almost no frame stretch. The press tested is a 1971 RCBS Rock Chucker.
    I once tested a heavy duty Bair C press the same way with the same brass and the same sizing FL die. That press has the large cobra type reinforcing webs on the sides of the C frame. That press yawed open .007. Succeeding sizing strokes produced less springing of the frame but there was always some.
    You may be able to resize some giant case by leaning on the simple linkage of a lot of old time open frame presses but your brass may not be sized as well as you think. Those open frame presses stretch under heavy loads.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I have a large lot of SL54 30-06 GI brass that was fired in machine guns. This brass takes at least twice the resizing effort the first time it is resized than it takes after being fired in my rifle.

I set up a high quality Brown & Sharp Best Test .0005 dial test indicator to measure frame deflection. The mag base was mounted to the press base where it is clamped to the table. The indicator contact was placed in contact with the top of the bushing adjacent to the die. The press frame stretched .002 the first time a case was cycled. If I backed off the handle a little and then repeated the sizing stroke there was almost no frame stretch. The press tested is a 1971 RCBS Rock Chucker.
    I once tested a heavy duty Bair C press the same way with the same brass and the same sizing FL die. That press has the large cobra type reinforcing webs on the sides of the C frame. That press yawed open .007. Succeeding sizing strokes produced less springing of the frame but there was always some.
    You may be able to resize some giant case by leaning on the simple linkage of a lot of old time open frame presses but your brass may not be sized as well as you think. Those open frame presses stretch under heavy loads.
    Why not look under the press between shell plate and die bottom on the utmost of the size stroke and then adjust the die down to compensate for the gap it develops...so that their is no gap their even when it is flexing?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post

Very interesting but not really a surprise. I am a little surprised that the Rockchucker flexed .002.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast