Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Trapdoor Questions

Boolit Mold

Trapdoor Questions

Came across this Trapdoor in a gun shop. Tag says it’s an 1873, the lock plate has 1860 stamped vertically aft of the hammer with US Springfield forward of the hammer. It has a nickel plated hammer, breach block, rear sight, trigger, barrel bands, stock tip, and bayonet. The breach block has a very small amount of side play when closed. The firing pin seems to hang down a good bit with the block open. SN484347. I’ll see if I can post a couple pictures. Just curious on what the value might be and other things to look at before a possible purchase or walk away from. He has it tagged at $800 and only knows they bought it at an Estate sale.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018DCE1B-6E04-4BD6-B0F6-C01E59200491.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	209596
    Well it won't let me upload any more files.
    Last edited by frydaddy96; 12-15-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Add info and pictures

Boolit Buddy
    Per the serial number it's a Model 1884. The lock plate is a mystery to me. An 1860 stamped lock would be for a Model 1855 musket which in no way would fit a TD. It would have a door for the Maynard tape primer. Besides, the date would be horizontal, not vertical. At any rate, it's not worth anywhere near $800.00. Walk away.

Vendor Sponsor

I agree. Walk fast.

It is hard to know much with out a lot of good info (pictures) and I understand you are not able to load more. However, this rifle sounds like a bits and pieces rifle. If he gave it to you, you might loose money making it right.

If you are interested in Springfield's, get a few books and read up. Rifles like this are often someones nightmare waiting to be sold to an unsuspecting buyer.

Good luck

BTW - issue Springfields are great rifles.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    by the smeared numbers it is a bad reblue. that could explain the the date on the lock. I would walk away.

Boolit Grand Master

Made up from parts with maybe a conversion lock plate. If the barrel is good I'd go $500 for just the parts.

In Remembrance
    The nickeled parts suggest to me that those parts came from a "parade" rifle, or maybe a rifle that was just displayed in a former life.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

You can find some very nice TD examples on the popular auction sites for $800 or less. I know when you have one in your hands it seems to say "take me home" but, there are better deals out there.
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

In Remembrance

I have often wondered why my 1884 rifle with ramrod bayonet has a plated hammer and side plate? Everything else is correct with still good metal bluing and the stock has all correct proofing stamps and a few dings from handling. It has the buffington rear sight and shoots like `a house afire` with LEE 405 HB boolets and IMR 3031.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by condorjohn View Post
    You can find some very nice TD examples on the popular auction sites for $800 or less. I know when you have one in your hands it seems to say "take me home" but, there are better deals out there.
    You can't do better than the ones Al Frasca offers on www.trapdoorcollector.com. Top quality, fair prices. See what you can really buy for $800.00. I bought my first TD from him.