Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Ruger Cust. Service A+ A+

Boolit Buddy

Ruger Cust. Service A+ A+

My SP101 was shooting high/left 8"! ( Bought it used.) Tried multiple ammo, multiple shooters. I called Ruger, maybe 5 min later I received a shipping label, mailed that evening (Mon), just got an email (Fri) saying it is ready to ship back to me. Can't beat their service, it's great. They fixed the cylinder end shake, reset the head space, and replaced all the springs. Dumb me, I forgot to take my Wolf springs out and put the originals back in before I sent it off!

Anywhooo...do you guys think these repairs will improve my point of impact?

Boolit Master

its impossible to say if they will correct the problem or not. most likely though it will come back with factory springs in it.

Super Moderator

I would have saved the double A+ until I got it back and shot it. I do give them a single A for their service however. My experiences with them have been generally good. I'm sure they probably did replace all the non-stock springs, and if you get lucky maybe they will send the old ones back .

Boolit Master

If the techs working on the guns were as good as the people answering the phones, I'd give them an A+.

I believe their policy on aftermarket parts is to remove them & replace with OEM, but return the aftermarket stuff to owner.

If OEM parts that have been altered, they remove & destroy.

Henry
    Last edited by oldhenry; 12-18-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Their customer service is great. Would be great if they actually had a QC department. They've been using the end user as the QC department for far to long. That's one of the reasons why their customer service is as good as it is.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Their customer service is great. Would be great if they actually had a QC department. They've been using the end user as the QC department for far to long. That's one of the reasons why their customer service is as good as it is.
    customer service starts with making a quality product that doesnt need to be returned.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok buys...I get it. Y'all don't like Ruger! But I, for one, can't afford a custom single action recover. Who else makes a stock sa revolver with a comparable price point That can shoot ' Ruger Only ' ammo?

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:53 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    Ok buys...I get it. Y'all don't like Ruger! But I, for one, can't afford a custom single action recover. Who else makes a stock sa revolver with a comparable price point That can shoot ' Ruger Only ' ammo?
    I love Ruger. I used to work for them in their Prescott, AZ plant. But their QC is the worst of any of the big gun makers and turning out copious amounts of guns with serious mistakes is hurting their reputation.

I don't understand why you would think that pointing out their relatively recent downturn in quality is anything other than firearms enthusiasts lamenting the downward spiral of a once great gun maker.

Boolit Grand Master

I own more Rugers than any other brand. But their QC has been nonexistent for at least half a decade now. It seems most people are fine w/ accepting substandard guns. I personally am not. Ruger is now a handle before you buy brand for me. W/ many others I have no issue buying sight unseen off the auction sites. Ruger has always made it right but I shouldn't have to send a brand new gun back because it wasn't finished to an acceptable standard.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe if everyone would contact Ruger about their substandard quality instead of ranting about it on here, just maybe they might change.

The last half of post #9 still hasn't been answered.

Three fifty seven - I don't either, but we shall see.

Boolit Master

Maybe if everyone would contact Ruger about their substandard quality instead of ranting about it on here, just maybe they might change.

The last half of post #9 still hasn't been answered.

Three fifty seven - I don't either, but we shall see.
    I have and sent a revolver back to them 3 times and it is still not right (crooked front sight). They even offered to replace the whole thing when I told them I wasn't happy. I didn't take them up on it as I don't think they can identify an issue in the first place and I was afraid I'd end up with something worse.

Vendor Sponsor

I had a Vaquero that shot horribly 8" to 10" left and 3" to 4" low at 25yds, sent it in and they "fixed" it, got it back on a Friday, too close to opening day to sight it in, missed a straight on dead level 20yd shot on a magnificent 8pt standing still, facing me, oh I was MAD. Sighted in on a 25yd target, STILL shooting to the same POI. Threw the gun in a box where it sat for the next 17yrs totally forgotten.

Got it out and sent Ruger a nice letter kissing up to their Customer Service department, asked about a SBH hammer, no problem, asked about a birdshead grip frame, they (Gil) said they were fresh out, so I ordered one from Midway and offered to send it to them, oh no that won't be necessary said the tech, the gun has a new cylinder and it is just coming back from the finishing department after getting a Bisley grip frame installed.

I said WTH? If I had wanted a Bisley, I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT ONE! The tech plays me right into it of course... "Hey look buddy I don't know who you know here, but we don't do this for NOBODY! Our supervisors said if we want to do anything like this for our own guns, WE HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!" He says "You're getting this done for FREE! You should be glad!" So I said well okay, I guess....

Week later a girl from Ruger calls, wants to make sure I am home to sign for the delivery. I ask her "Have you got this gun right there in front of you?" She says "Yes, it's beautiful!" I asked, "Does it have a Bisley grip frame?" "Yes" she says.. "Bisley hammer and trigger?" I ask.. "Yes, it sure does!" She prolly had me on speakerphone and the whole department was listening in laughing like crazy afterwards, they played this one for all it was worth.

Next day the box arrives, I sign for it and take it in the house to the back porch where we do all the shipping, and I open it. Man, they PLAYED ME LIKE A FIDDLE!! They were ALL in on it! After 17yrs of being frustrated with this gun I would not shoot, I opened the box and there, in all it's EXTRA polished glory, is a Stainless BIRDSHEAD VAQUERO, with black grips, SBH hammer, "Black Powder" cylinder chamfer, EXACTLY as I had wished for!! All on their dime! And yes, it shot to the sights this time!!! Severely thread choked from them clocking the barrel, which I fixed with a Taylor throat reamer, but shooting to the sights for the first time in the 20yrs I had owned it.

Ruger Cust. Service is indeed A+ A+!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 12-17-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Did you not read my post? I've sent at least five guns back to them. I'm not just ranting.

A good outcome

I deliberated about posting this information here. My experience began with my "GP100 .44 Special Decision" started 10/24 & overlapped into my "Ruger no longer makes Lipsey .44 spec. GP100" started 12/04.

#9 on "Ruger no longer makes lipsey .44 spec. GP100" briefly explains all of my problems & #24 of "GP100 .44 Special Decision" has more details.

Since this info deals with Ruger's customer service, I chose to say what I need to say here.
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................
    When Ruger received the replacement gun I got a call from the man in charge of GP 100 production. Bryan is a perfect gentleman & was determined to make me happy. I addressed the many issues in a respectful manner & he set about to correct everything. The next day he calls & tells me he picked a new gun from stock that he thought would please me. He had the bore inspected with a bore scope & it had close to the specs that I wanted. He had the gun test fired from a rest @ 15 yds. with 246 gr. Rem. ammo & was ending me a copy of the group. He even had additional polishing done followed by a re-blue.

In the course of one conversation he learned that I also had a 3" bbl. SS model that I liked very much & was looking for a smaller grip more consistent with the 3" bbl.. Later that day he said he was overnighting a grip that he thought I'd like. A photo of that grip is attached.

The gun was picked up from my LGD on 12/16. The appearance is good & here are the specs:
    BBl./cyl gap= .007
    End shake= .002
    Throats: consistent @ .4315 (.4320 pin would not go)
    Bore groove: .43050 with no measurable thread choke (BTW their bore groove tolerance is .429-.431).
    There is a minor gap between the front sight & bbl., but I'm OK with it.

So far I have 100 rounds through it & considering factory trigger & was shooting .429 boolits through the .4315 throats & .43050 bbl., it's OK.

I plan to order the Accurate #43-210E after I get DougGuys opinion on diameter & sizing.

In short: I'm happy. There is no doubt that Ruger/Bryan was trying to please me. I agree with the A+A+ rating.

After I get it back together from the trigger job, I'll post a photo.

Henry
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    A real sport involves either gasoline or gun powder......all others are just a game
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-014S.JPG  

Vendor Sponsor

Size to .431" should give a light drag fit in ALL the throats. Glad they have gotten you sorted!

I don't know what you like for alloy but 50/50+2% and soft lube would probably work great.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Size to .431" should give a light drag fit in ALL the throats. Glad they have gotten you sorted!

I don't know what you like for alloy but 50/50+2% and soft lube would probably work great.
    Thanks for that info.
    This forum is fortunate to have you as a contributor.

Henry