Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Your opinion on a Taylor tuned smoke wagon.

Boolit Master

Your opinion on a Taylor tuned smoke wagon.

So what do you guy's think of a Taylor tuned smoke wagon.
    I guess it's made by Umberti, shipped here and tuned by Tailor.
    I think I will sell my hardly used 686 plus 3" with fiber optic front and rear sights.
    76 years old now and it looks like I need to settle down some,
    read as a lot.

I can load for 357 mag and have brass for it. Seems a six gun will let me go to the range and do some nice relaxed shooting for enjoyment.

I would appreciate your honest opinion please.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Why not?

I just bought a pair of H&R revolvers, both 2.5" barrels, one nickle, one blued. Both in .32 SW long and both in nice shape.

Less than 300$ into the pair, although FFL fees will creep that up a smidge.
    Bought 500 new starline brass, dies are inbound. Already have 2 molds at least one of which will work.

I'm only 65, wife is 61, decided it was worth it to see if they barked a bit less than the 9mm's.

I have a step daughter, 2 grandkids. Otherwise it is just me and my wife. We owe no one nothing. All bills paid, money in the bank and land up north. Why not?

Grand total it is still going to be less than 1 months Social Security, of which I don't get a lot.

Banned

Check out Long Hunter
    Tuned here
    Low the low profile hammer

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve read up on the tuned Taylor Smoke Wagon and it looks like a nice six shooter. It would be a nice easy shooter with some mid range .357 mag loads. I’d like to have one in .44Special 4 5/8 inch barrel.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Boolit Grand Master
    I own a 4.5” Smoke Wagon with tuning, bought on sale at their Annual Open House celebration Spring 2015. It is as slick as any single action I’ve ever handled. I bought it expecting to use it with wax bullets for Fast Draw, but so far it’s only been to the range a few times with “live” ammo and is still waiting for me to go all “Wild Bill Hickok” with it at a fast draw event.

Taylor’s advertises that the action is completely reworked with jig polished sear and hammer surfaces and improved springs, and I believe them. It felt great right out of the box without even needing breaking in. I was also pleasantly surprised with the fit and finish, down to the fit and checkering of the rosewood(?) grips. I love mine, and for the money can’t imagine how I could have done better.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Check out Long Hunter
    Tuned here
    Low the low profile hammer
    **Temporarily not accepting orders for USFA’s due to manufacturer’s inability to deliver.**
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    So what do you guy's think of a Taylor tuned smoke wagon.
    I read about them and thought they would be pretty good for an authentic Colt replica. I have a Uberti Old West (my avatar) and love it! You can't beat a sixgun that brings a smile to your face when you shoot it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    The Smoke Wagon, El Patron, etc. are all "nicer" than the un-tuned factory version and seem to be excellent, trouble free shooters and a great basis for a "race gun"! I've had an El Patron (.45C) for a good while now and its parts have been heavily modified and the wires were replaced with coil springs. I fitted a .45 acp cyl to it for versatility and take turns fanning/slip hammering them 50 cycles a day for " R&D" purposes (much to the disbelief of some! Lol!!). You should have good service with it!

Green Frog, as far as competition ready for fast draw, they won't last. The timing isn't right and without an action stop and a bolt block, it will have a short life in that activity. Of course, they can all be made into competition guns. Good luck with your fast draw endeavors!!

Mike
    Last edited by 45 Dragoon; 12-17-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Banned

{ LH DELUXE - TAYLOR'S SMOKE WAGON }
    "From Box to Holster"
    The Smoke Wagon™ from Taylor’s & Company is a second-generation, stage coach style, single-action revolver. It boasts a low-profile hammer and wider-style sights that allow the user to acquire sights faster, without cocking the pistol. It also features a thin, richly-detailed, checkered grip for comfort and improved aim.

The LH Deluxe Edition model also includes: custom tuning, custom hammer and base pin springs, trigger pull at 2 1/2 pounds, jig-cut, positive angles on all triggers and sears for crisp, reliable action, a coil-loaded hand spring, wire bolt and trigger springs.

Specifications:
    Grips: Thin, Checkered Wood
    Finish: Color Case Frame with Blued Barrel and Cylinder
    Frame Style: Cross Pin
    Calibers: 357Magnum/38Special, 44 WCF aka 44-40, 45 Colt
    Wider Competition sights
    Low Profile Hammer
    Our Price Includes the Following Custom Work:
    Hone all internal parts
    Replace all springs with Lee's "Gunslinger Spring Kit"
    Rework sear and hammer for crisp 2 1/2lb. trigger pull
    Open forcing cone to 11 degrees
    Square barrel face
    Check cylinder gap and head space
    Set timing and advance bolt drop
    LHSS Stock Price:
    $649.00 each + Shipping: $25.00 for one gun. $5.00 for each additional gun.
    http://www.longhunt.com/web/index.ph...xe-smoke-wagon

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    **Temporarily not accepting orders for USFA’s due to manufacturer’s inability to deliver.**

?????

Boolit Buddy
    How do the throats run on the Uberti .45's?

Boolit Master

I Spoke to the guy that tunes all the Taylor smoke wagon guns today, nice gent.
    He was telling me the pistols are primarily made to shoot lead, So I am going to take a guess that with the barrels at .357 groove the cylinder throats are at least .358
    ( naturally this is for the 357 mag )

But how much is my guess worth ?
    Then again with so many people shooting these guns wouldn't people be complaining about leading if the throats were smaller.

Now for a small part of the conversation that I didn't like, perhaps some new owners can shed some light here.

They no longer use the longer two notch base pin as a load six safety.
    It now uses a floating firing pin, still looks like the old one.
    But the hammer will not drop on a round unless the trigger is pulled.

This makes the trigger kind of a two stage trigger, he said it has pre-travel now.
    Sorta/kinda like a 1911, but not exactly. The pre travel is what sets up the firing pin to strike the hammer. Don't no how else to say it.
    He kept saying the triggers had creep, ( man I hate a trigger that creeps through the bang)
    I can shoot them, but like many I don't like them.

It sounded like you pull through a small portion of the trigger to ready the firing pin, and then you get to the actual trigger pull. He said he gets them as smooth as he can and he didn't like them what does smooth as he can mean ?

We closed the conversation with him telling me the 4 clicks of the hammer
    is now 3 clicks, cause they eliminated the first notch in the hammer.
    He had no problem discussing reloads, he said they prefer people to shoot lead and stay from any jacketed full power loads. said they would loosen the gun up pretty much over time.

So I would say lead bullets at about 20,000 P S I, I could live with that, after all they are not Ruger super black hawks.

How about some comments Eh.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is a very accurate revolver and as such, never saw any reason to take the particular measurements. I believe I'd send my cylinders to DougGuy if I found they needed attention.

As far as the setup goes on a particular S.A., most folks will treat their revolvers with enough care to maintain the tuning (especially if it is a custom job!). When one decides to "hot rod" it a little and flirt with the "fast" stuff, you can do all the "right things" to the action but, without an action stop and a bolt block, it will eventually ruin the locking notches, the hand and the ratchet teeth. That's why action stops and bolt blocks are standard with my service. They are the life of a tuning. A bolt block will also make the action itself extremely accurate.

Mike