RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: The dog first

Boolit Master

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Hey my dogs are family and are treated as such. I can understand the mans feelings.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Good post ...made me happy .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    I would have done the same thing.

Boolit Master
    About 22-23 years ago a similar thing happened here, neighbor had a very fat dog that went through the ice on Christmas eve about 10:00 or maybe a bit later. I was putting a train set together for my son when I got a phone call from the owner of the dog saying "the fire department wont help, can you come down and see what you can do?'
    When I got there several of the neighbor guys were in a small rowboat trying to break ice to get to the dog without much success. I looked around and saw a canoe in the next yard, I slid the canoe into the water and grabbed a shovel to use as a paddle.
    I would get the bow of the canoe up on the ice, then move forward in the canoe to break the ice, move to the stern to bring the bow up and repeat. I got about halfway to the dog when the fire department finally showed up and yelled out for me to return to the shore. I yelled back something to the effect of why don't y'all go pack sand and one of the FD guys got his drysuit on. I got to the dog, dragged her nearly frozen body into the canoe and started my way back to shore.
    I got about halfway back when the man with the drysuit on made it to my canoe and hung on the bow saying" take me back to the shore".
    "Hey bud, you made it out this far, you can make it back on your own". He kept hanging onto the bow of the canoe, facing me, and letting me paddle the canoe back to shore.
    Seeing the opportunity, I just couldn't resist. I aimed the canoe at an ice floe and told the guy he better let go or he would have a terrible headache in the morning. When he did not let go I ran the canoe into the ice floe and the back of his neck. "See? I told you so......."
    Got the dog to shore and into the house to get warmed up and the county sheriff wanted to write me a ticket for not having a life jacket on in the canoe. The owner of the dog laughed in his face and told him to go ahead, he would gladly pay the ticket and bail me out of jail if needed.
    I asked the sheriff why the fire department wouldn't come out to rescue a dog, but everyone showed up when we (the neighbors and I) got out in the lake. His answer: We wont risk lives to rescue a dog, but when people go out on unsafe ice we have to respond".

Nobody got arrested or ticketed that Christmas eve, and I ended up with a 20 year old bottle of scotch for my "heroics" that night

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Good job for a worthwhile reward!

Banned

love it. Have to admit I even had a tear in my eye.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Hey my dogs are family and are treated as such. I can understand the mans feelings.
    I agree with RED BEAR .... I truly love a happy ending.....thanks for the post! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Outstanding simply outstanding the love between man and his canine friend.

Dogs

Amen
    Unconditional Love
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Always Faithful.jpg  
    NRA Endowment

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dave 45-90 View Post
    Amen
    Unconditional Love

It certainly is. They don't say "OK, I'll love you if you do tricks for me." I sometimes wonder if Lanty Hanlon the Irish terrier is brighter than a border collie, for knowing we feel the same.

Before we had a dog, I tried to explain the bond to my wife, who had never been a dog-owner. She was outraged at the idea of saving your dog's life rather than an unknown human's. Seemed like you owe someone something just for being a member of homo sapiens, at least when you didn't know if it was the best or the worst that was in trouble. Now though, I just hope it never comes to him or me.

Banned

very cool post
    Amen
    Unconditional Love

Banned
    Amen
    Unconditional Love

Great post.

Nothing better than the love of a German Shepherd.

Boolit Master
    Thank God there are plenty of dog lovers in the country.
    One Dispatcher or Captain who said they won’t come out for an animal doesn’t make the whole department a bad group. I worked with plenty of firemen like me that would go back into a burning building to save a pet.
    Cats up in trees are different, you HAVE TO WEAR GLOVES AND LONG SLEEVES if your not in turnout gear.
    I pray they are all ok with no illness from the cold.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Dr. Johnson the eighteenth century writer said that if you meet a sick and starving dog in the street, take it home, feed it and nurse it back to health, it will not bite you, and that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Banned

lots of truth in that
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Dr. Johnson the eighteenth century writer said that if you meet a sick and starving dog in the street, take it home, feed it and nurse it back to health, it will not bite you, and that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.