Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most you will pay for pewter?

Most you will pay for pewter?

Obviously sometimes you have to guess on the weight and it is easy to be off. What is the most you will knowingly pay for pewter? I need to buy some tin for casting and my ready alternatives are $7 a pound for pewter via one of the member sellers here or 60/40 (claimed) ingots for $3/pound (effectively $5 or so for a pound of tin). I guess I will knowingly go as high as $4, but obviously the lower the better.

Boolit Buddy
    <$5 is my goal. 90% of what I find fits this goal. Lately though I only encounter pewter one out of ten trips to the thrift stores. Not much old money around where I live now has a lot to due with it though.

Banned
    Depends on how low my stock is. The less I have left the more I'll pay. I still try to stay <$5

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It depends on how much I got. Of course I'd rather find it for 50 cents, but if I'm running low I'm happy to pay $9. That's still half the retail price of tin.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I buy my pewter at the scapyard at 10$ per kilo. Usually cheaper in the long run than buying odd things at flea markets. Bought a nice set out big cups once.. Turned out to be fake pewter, even though it was stamped with pewter..
    At the yard if in doubt I just ask them to x-ray the item.

Last time wife brought home pewter I checked the tin price, it was 10.60 per pound at that point.

So I was aiming to stay under 5$ per pound my cost. I got lucky, she brought home 6.25 pounds for 11$ cost.

And I am one happy camper. And I have enough to last me for a while.

Have to admit, it sure makes pretty bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

When I was buying, I liked to be under $4 a pound. At the time, I was selling at $8 a pound after smelting, casting ingots and packing.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I shoot for between $3 and $4 if there is a quantity involved. However a tiny vase for 99 cents may not be 1/4 pound but it IS less than a buck out of pocket so I'll buy it. I hit some lucky finds over the years on solder and pewter so now I buy it because I find it, not because I really need it (at least not now) When it comes to components and supplies I'm in the use 1 then buy 2 camp. So if I make a big batch of alloy and use 5# of tin alloy I'll be trying to replace it with 10#. Sort of builds up over time.

Might make sense to splurge on a basic stock through a seller here in S&S forum which will allow you to be a bit more selective in prices you will pay when scrounging. Don't forget to check for rolls of solder at garage sales. My best was nearly full 1# roll of silver solder (nearly 100% tin) for a buck, but lots of partial rolls at "average joe" garage sales for less than a dollar. Did have a member that reported he purchased something like a 5 or 10# roll of water safe lead free mostly tin solder for like $1 a pound or something nearly that sweet. I think over a summer of garage sales I get around 10# of solder, don't forget to check inside the old rusty tool boxes at those garage sales.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

When I was hitting the thrift stores my goal was also less than $5.00/lb. I haven't looked for a while because I have around 50lbs in ingots, and I don't know how much in unmelted stuff in a box.

Guess I should get back at it though, there is fun in the hunt.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The general public does not know the composition of pewter be 80% tin and 20% lead. So work on the basis the the going price of tin is $15/lb. So pay accordingly what you want pay less than $15 based on the weight of the pewter
    Regards
    John

I'll go as high as $3 per pound for food grade, hallmarked pewter. Getting good at figuring the weight by the feel and size. Mostly from yard sales.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Bub
    I won't pay. Too much out there for nothing.

Boolit Grand Master

Really? Too much available for free? How much free pewter did you get this month?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I kinda wonder where some of this (too much) free pewter is located myself. Silly Goose , why would you not collect up that free pewter and resell it to us for a nice profit?
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    The general public does not know the composition of pewter be 80% tin and 20% lead. So work on the basis the the going price of tin is $15/lb. So pay accordingly what you want pay less than $15 based on the weight of the pewter
    The old pewter had some lead but as of the last years, it is 95% tin and 5% antimony with a touch of copper.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    Pewter is a source of convenience for inexpensive tin but don't get to thinking that you need pewter. We can buy tin easy enough albeit a higher cost. So we keep an eye out for the chance of luck to find some cheap pewter. I'm just saying not to get caught up paying high prices for pewter.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!

L W Knight

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    The old pewter had some lead but as of the last years, it is 95% tin and 5% antimony with a touch of copper.
    I read the VERY old pewter had lead in it, like pre 1800-20

Boolit Master
    I am averaging around $3 a pound: $2 on the low end and and around $7 at the high end. I'm trying to keep it under five dollars a pound.

It is fun to scavenge and get a good deal, but it totally discounts my time and gas. I still have much of what Orisolo had sold me, but there is definitely some satisfaction to building up a reserve at a good price, so I expect to keep on looking.
    Last edited by kevin c; 12-18-2017 at 04:21 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Trick us silver collectors use, dollar cost averaging. I track what I buy on a spreadsheet and it gives me my average silver price on the bottom. Still running under $10oz! Simple to do is add up all the prices and divide by total pounds.

Boolit Master
    $1 a piece of pewter is my max. I pass up on a lot but get a lot as well.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast