Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round balls?

Boolit Master

Round balls?

I see alot of guys selling and buying round ball moulds on the site. I always thought they were just for muzzleloaders, can they be loaded for anything else?

Seems to be more guys with round ball moulds than muzzleloaders...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

pumpkin balls in shotguns, three ball loads, etc, etc.

Boolit Master

They make nice light plinking/gallery loads in both rifles and handguns. I load a 2 ball .38 Special load that's great for in house protection where max penetration is not desired. Good for slogging bores. No end of uses if you use your imaginations./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    And slingshot ammo..
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

+1 on that slingshot ammo. .40-.45 lead round ball can be devastating from a slingshot. .410 round ball WW work very well with a light charge in my .41 mags for gallery loads (indoor) at 30-40 feet.

Just for fun I load a .30 cal RB in my 7.62 Russian Nagant revolver over 2.0 gr Red dot. It's about like a 22LR, and actually fairly accurate. Someday I may use the round balls to experiment with a buckshot load in my 12 ga.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    A .440-.450 RB cast of WW over a card wad and lube cookie and a few grains of Trail Boss or something similar in a fired unsized case make good plinking and vermin ammo. Drop the ball on the case mouth and seat it .010-.020" deep, but not so much that it bells the mouth to the point it won't chamber. If you go too far, run them up into the size die just a bit to straighten them some. They'll have a goodly wedding band of engagement after they size down on firing. The same holds true for a .375-.380 RB in a .357 mag. Chambers for rimmed rounds typically have a tapered end to the chamber which sizes them down very well.

Another trick is pushing WW .490 RBs through a .452 sizer and loading these in .45 ACP over a card wad and lube cookie. The weight is 180gr or so, and with the right OAL, they feed reliably and are accurate. Might want to size them within 24 hours of casting while they're still soft.

Boolit Buddy
    I load 1 and 2 ball loads in 45 colt with black powder and trailboss. Fun to shoot, good for rabbit.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I used to load a .314" into a .308 Winchester case with a minimal charge of Bullseye for removing squirrels form the limb they were hiding behind .

.729" worked good in shotgun loads .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I've used them in 45-70 with very light loads of unique. Sounds like a cap gun and very accurate at 50 ft and still have enough power to go thru a tin can.

A #1 buckshot works good in .30 cal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Pumpkin Ball loads for shotguns are a great way to get excellent performance from Reduced Recoil Loads. Or you can run them hot too.

I load .69 caliber round balls in my Standard Trap loads with a 1/4" thick felt wad in the base of the shot cup.

These are @ 425 gr running at about 1100fps and are very accurate out to 75 yards and can easily hit a man sized target at 100 with devastating results.

You need to keep in mind that the Large Round Lead Ball was the preferred firearm projectile for about 250-300 years. They must have worked or people wouldn't have kept using them.

Not saying they are as good as conical boolit, however they aren't that bad either if used within their range limitations.

If you were facing a line of British Regulars in the 18th Century at 50-75 yards you had cause to be really concerned. It took some pretty big cajones to face such a threat! The prospect of living thru such a volley of fire followed closely by another and another was pretty bleak. Those battle field tactics were the standard all the way to WWI ! and if you were "giving" the orders you were probably fine. However the troops took the brunt of the encounter and with casualty rates as high as 90%, desertion would have been my idea of valor.

The main difference between then and now is shotguns can fire many rounds in short order. Not like you have to take 20-30 seconds to reload. You just pump the fore end and let fly again. Once the magazine is empty you port load until there is a lull in the action or you are safely behind cover and you can tactical Reload the gun. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

A good place to see running a shotgun efficiently is to go to a Cowboy Action match and watch the guys shooting Pump guns. The good guys can get off 5 shots in less than 10 seconds.

Keep in mind that the Army's of the world had perfected the art of efficiently Killing People thousands of years ago. None of the weapons they used are any less effective today than they were 3000 years ago, and round balls were a relatively recent invention which worked really well compared to Crossbows with Bolts.

In todays shotguns a round ball is a pretty formidable projectile.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-16-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

how far were you for those head shots, that would have been ugly in real life, that's for sure!!! also, does the 690 cut the petals when it goes through the barrel? I have heard that 678 is better for wads, and 735 for non- petal type wads and cyl chokes
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

30 cal round ball over 3 grains Promo in a .30-30 is a hoot !

Accurate at 25yds, no recoil, almost no report, and bad juju for small game.

Rebel: Those shots were at 50 yards offhand in about 10-15 seconds. Gun was actually shooting to the left of POA about 1"-1.5".

I'll re-sight it in after it gets the Vang Comp Barrel work done and get it dead nutz at 50 yards and see how much hold over I'll need for 100 yards..

Rifle Sights are good for shooting slugs. Surprising how accurate these shotguns are.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    So...what’s the difference or why would I use round balls instead of light for caliber bullets? Wouldn’t they achieve the same thing? Or are balls more versatile somehow?

Boolit Master

Near as I can tell, round balls are the lightest one can get for caliber. Anything lighter would be like trying to seat an aspirin tablet in the case.

For example, the .311 round ball that I load into .30-30 cases weighs about 44 grains. 10% heavier than a .22 LR.
    The 314-90-SWC is about double the weight.

Does that matter ? Maybe.

I load both, for fun, because I can. And, they are a ball to shoot.

Banned
    A three ball load in a 45-70 will keep all 3 in 6" at 50 yds. A lever action tool to clear an alley.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    Near as I can tell, round balls are the lightest one can get for caliber. Anything lighter would be like trying to seat an aspirin tablet in the case.

For example, the .311 round ball that I load into .30-30 cases weighs about 44 grains. 10% heavier than a .22 LR.
    The 314-90-SWC is about double the weight.

Does that matter ? Maybe.

I load both, for fun, because I can. And, they are a ball to shoot.
    Ok I got it...your example will be what I’m interested in first. A .311 ball

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TAC14 View Post
    A three ball load in a 45-70 will keep all 3 in 6" at 50 yds. A lever action tool to clear an alley.
    Now that is interesting. A .458 ball? Do you just use data for the combined weight of the 3 balls?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast