Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Thoughts on the Remlin 1894CB in .45 Colt

Boolit Master

Thoughts on the Remlin 1894CB in .45 Colt

I am looking at buying a new 1894CB 20" in .45 Colt.
    JM is not in my price range.
    I have one on hold and everything looks good on it.
    Action is a bit tight but smooth, and lock up is tight.
    How are they for accuracy with cast ?, I am hoping to run poly coated cast through it.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a new 94 in 45 colt a few months back. It's the 20" non CB and I'm very happy with it. It shoots the Lee 255 RF, powder coated boolit very well. Mine will keep 5 shots in 4" at 100 yards with a Skinner peep. My JM, 44 mag will do the same but it wears a 4X scope. I'm tickled with my Remlin 45.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Have you considered a Henry?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I have 0 experience shooting Rem 1894c. Have lots of experience fooling with them. Like all the
    Remlins you can get one that is flawless or one that is junk. Most of the Ohio deer hunters buying
    Levers are going for 1895s, or 94s in 44mg. I have only worked on 3 in 45Colt. Two were operator
    error on AOL of handloads and one had issues with carrier, gun was sent back for service and
    owner has sent it back twice since.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input.
    I put an 1894 on hold at the shop I work at.
    It looks great, however I keep reading way to many posts on bad barrels and
    how bad Remingtons CS is.

Have you considered a Henry?
    Yes I have, I just can't seem to get past the tube feed, I really like a loading gate.
    Also considering an 1892 Winchester (Miroku).
    They are beautiful rifles, I just can't find much reviews on them.
    I want accurate and reliable.
    Last edited by hylander; 12-20-2017 at 02:51 AM.
    Failure is not an Option

I would say the Miroku made Winchesters and Brownings are probably the best lever actions you will find today aside from pricey custom jobs. The Brownings of the 80's and 90's have a real cult following but I don't know if they were ever made in .45 Colt. If the Henry sans loading gate style is a no-go and you don't want to gamble on Remlin that is what I would go for. That being said, if you can afford one of those you can afford a JM Marlin.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

If you've checked it over good and everything is a go, I'd buy it.

I've got several Remlin Marlins that are every bit a shooter as the JM Marlins.

Boolit Master
    As I have mentioned before, I have more than a few JM Marlins, and I can assure you, Marlin was well capable of producing junk before Remington acquired them, most of mine had something or another that needed fixing. I like them all now, but if a new one checks out, it's probably going to be as good as any.

I won't buy a Remlin sight unseen unles it's super cheap. If I saw one in person that I really liked I would buy it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    As I have mentioned before, I have more than a few JM Marlins, and I can assure you, Marlin was well capable of producing junk before Remington acquired them, most of mine had something or another that needed fixing. I like them all now, but if a new one checks out, it's probably going to be as good as any.
    I have to agree with this. This is spot on for me also

Boolit Master

Attachment 209745

A friend of mine and me each bought one when they first were reintroduced, neither one has had a bit of problems functionally or accuracy wise. Mine worked ok a couple weeks ago.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    First I will say, I love my JM (1894s in 41 Mag).
    But it came with a flaw that the factory should have caught.

I bought it used in 2014, but that decades old rifle was about as close to new as it gets, reportedly only test fired by each of the two previous owners...probably only about a box of ammo through it. But it had a issue that needed to be fixed, that neither of those two previous owners noticed. Here is a post about it. Post #14, I report the solution.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...P-!&highlight=

Also, Henry was mentioned.
    I love my Henry Big Boy in 41 Mag, But it has an issue. FTF and FTE about 10% of the time. It's done this since I bought it last year, and have tried about everything in regards to boolits and COAL. It's a long story, but I will say that while I did have some issues with certain boolits, making the problem worse, I believe this has a mechanical issue as well. After one more trip to the range with this Rifle last week with a boolit that doesn't seem to cause any feeding issues, I think I finally have a grasp on the mechanical issue. It doesn't appear to be anything I could 'fix'. Anyway, after a year of trying things, I sent Henry an email over the weekend, and am waiting a reply.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001