Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Mossberg 464 cartridges get stuck in magazine

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Mossberg 464 cartridges get stuck in magazine

Hey folks. My Mossberg 464 .30 WCF shoots great but has an irritating problem which has kept me from taking it hunting. About every fifth or sixth round in the tube gets stuck and will not come out past the cartridge stop. The cartridge stop appears to be functioning correctly and is all the way down when the lever is closed. I can smack the butt of the rifle on the floor and the cartridge will come out of the mag and position itself on the lifter like it is supposed to. Action is clean and oiled, cartridges are full length sized. I took the mag spring and follower out and don't see any obvious defects. Any ideas here? I'm thinking a Wolff extra power mag spring just might be the trick as the spring on this rifle doesn't seem as strong as that of my Marlins.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I would suggest removing the forend barrel band, forend wood & magazine tube from the rifle, then inspect/correct a few possible sources of your issue:

* Check/clean the inside of the magazine tube & the magazine throat/hole in the front receiver wall.

* Check the tip of the cartridge stop finger on the forward end of the lower link for a burr which might be interfering with cartridge travel out of the magazine.

* Check the forward upper end of the lifter for a burr there.

* Check the inside forward cam face of the loading gate for burrs, and ensure the gate in tightly secured, as a slightly loose gate can every once in a while drift into the cartridge feed path.

If you think the cause is a weak magazine spring, it can be checked/proved via inserting a 1/2" long filler between the forward end of the installed spring and the installed magazine cap - which effectively increases spring pressure from the partial compression.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Thanks alot. Upon inspection, what appears to be happening is that when the lever closes all the way the next cartridge in the tube is still held in place inside the magazine as if the cartridge stop is still engaged. So, it appears that the source of the jam is in that area. I tried using an empty shell as a spacer between the spring and mag tube cap, didn't make any difference. I 'spose I'll have to take the front end parts off as you suggest and inspect.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Look for dings and burrs on the magazine tube. or a deformed end ( lip on inside fron cutting pressure when made). Also is the spring straight or has it been coil bound over compressed and so in a c shape? Put the follower on a dowel ( Use tape to hold it on the end wrapping to a snug fit on the dowel) slide it down the tube feeling for tight spots or binding in the tube. Also look at the tube itself for straightness. A small burr or ding can be a problem not only from the tight spot but due to it slightly changing the cartridges alighnment as it goes over thru it.

Thanks very much, will do.

Well, I might have fixed it. I cycled some rounds through it and studied just what was happening when it failed to feed. Each time, the rim was catching in the area of the very top of the cartridge stop, which is horizontal and supposed to be out of the way when the lever is closed. I removed the lower link and found that the catridge stop had a sharp edge on the very top which could certainly catch the rim of a cartridge. With a fine file I smoothed and radiused the tip of the cartridge stop. I reassembled it, and the rifle cycled 30 rounds just fine. You can now hear the next cartridge in the magazine thunk into position atop the lifter as soon as you close the lever. Hopefully that is all it needed, I really like this rifle!

Boolit Master
    Always pleasing when you sort out a niggle like that .

Yes indeed. Got a Williams FP installed while I was at it, look forward to shooting it.

Good deal. Give us a report; I liked the ones I've handled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I sure will. I have fired the rifle before, it is at least as accurate as my other .30 WCF rifles from Marlin and Winchester. The Williams FP just replaces the 5D that was on it, only real difference is the click adjustments.

Snuck out with the 464 and 8.8 grains Unique/Lee C309-113-F this morning. The rifle fed and ejected slick as snot and showed really good accuracy, as good as my shaky hands can produce. The click adjustments of the FP are totally worth the extra $30.00 or so.

But, like Columbo says, just one more thing... The 464 still has a pesky light strike problem. All the rounds show light indentations, about one in four need a second strike. Firing pin moves freely and doesn't appear broken or damaged. I've already done the usual trick of shortening the front leg of the hammer strut, to where you have to draw the hammer back a little to engage the manual safety. I'm thinking I probably just need a new hammer spring. Anybody know if an extra power hammer spring is available? I think one for the 94 would probably work.

Contacted Mossy asking for a new hammer spring and guide rod, they said to send it in and provided a shipping label. Hopefully this is the last problem I will have out of it. The 464 is a really nice rifle, at least as good as the cheaper 94's ever were, and I really enjoy shooting it.

FWIW, many times, a metal washer installed on the MS strut at the rear of the mainspring will increase the soring pressure enough for constant ignition.

If you send it in under warranty, they will most likely spot your modification to the strut's rebound leg and simply replace it before returning it as-is.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Probably so, although they will probably test fire before returning it. If the rifle comes back fixed properly, I won't have any need to modify the hammer strut. The 2003 94 I used to have smacked primers with authority, I never thought the rebounding hammer caused any problems. If it is not fixed, I'll try the washer and/or look for a stronger spring.