WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Powder measure

Lat. 33N 6' 48" Long. -84 15" 11" Middle Georgia

Powder measure

Having trouble in reloading with my RCBS and Hornady powder measure. Can not get to 3.0 gr Talked with Hornady, getting off type answers. What do I get to to have a 3.0 to 3.5 of Clays (for 38 Spl) Thanks beng

Boolit Buddy

You may need the small (pistol) drum if you are not using it. The large drum doesn’t work well with light charges under 4g or so.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Grand Master

Check the faces of the adjusters if they are concave faces you may not get to that small charge with them with out modifying the stems face. A flat faced stem should get down to that level in the pistol cavity drum on the RCBS uniflow. Or pick up a little Dandy measure and the rotors you need. Or depending on amount being loaded a dipper could be made to throw the charge.
    How close are you getting to the 3.0 grn charge with these measures now? Is the stem bottomed out on the threads or against the measures housing? If the thread travel is the problem leaving more cavity than is needed then a few layers of tape in the bottom of the cavity on the stem may fix your problem. It also may help to fill in the concave face enough to get where you need to be. Tape works here for a temporary fix or if you don't want it permanent, JB weld or solder if you want it forever.
    I filled in a concave face with solder for a club member who wanted lighter charges. Simply disassembled the stem and cleaned sanded the concave area fluxed it and melted solder to .010 of the top edge letting it self level and flow out. Stay a little below the existing edges or the measure will bind up.

Boolit Master
    The Lee ppm cheap and work well.

Talked with Hornady, getting off type answers.

What?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    I use two Hornady powder measures and keep one set up with the large insert and the other one set up with the small measure insert. When you first set them up and slide in the measuring insert into the drum, you have to rotate the drum as you rotate the measuring insert until it fits tight against the outer drum face accurately and then you screw in the locking allen head screw to lock it in place on the side of the drum. Then unlock the screw measure and screw it out to do your powder measuring. But when you start with the small measure you have to have the adjustment piston flat even with the surrounding piston before you even set it up to fit to the outside drum.

Boolit Master
    I really don't get this at all. My Hornady LNL powder measure throws 2.5 and up charges all the time. Depending on the powder it is either always what I set it at with all the powders I use for handgun or off a tenth either way with Unique. The RCBS Uniflow I have only has a large drum and it is the same.

Pretty nice arsenal of powder "hoppers" here.The Lyman pistol measures are very nice.And,if you can get to,producing your own rotors....well,they just get better.Start perusing the Lyman and RCBS rotor charts .....looking for "recipes" or classic loads.It's very interesting.Dog.

Boolit Master
    What do I get to to have a 3.0 to 3.5 of Clays (for 38 Spl)
    Lyman 55

Boolit Master

Maybe not the best answer but I understand your problem. A Lil' Dandy is a good solution. Rotors can be filled with a little JB Weld to get intermediate powder charges. The Lyman 55 is another good solution with its 3 separate chambers to fine tune small or large loads.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

keep the hopper as full as you can,and when u fill the hopper, give it several light knuckle taps. Then run about 10 dumps thru it, to get the powder settled in. I've had this work well with various measures.