Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Darker Colors

Boolit Buddy

Darker Colors

So I've been tinkering with powder coating in a small way, more proof of concept and testing than production. The little that I have done using HB red has worked pretty well and shows potential. I am ready to start stepping things up but one of the things I don't like about PC are the bright colors. Just my personal taste. So my question is what are the more "business like" colors such as black, gun metal grey or something lead colored (Even Clear) that you guys have had success with? I have heard some say the HB black doesn't work well but I haven't tried it. Lol, I never though I would become fashion conscience about my ammo!
    Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MSD MIke View Post
    So I've been tinkering with powder coating in a small way, more proof of concept and testing than production. The little that I have done using HB red has worked pretty well and shows potential. I am ready to start stepping things up but one of the things I don't like about PC are the bright colors. Just my personal taste. So my question is what are the more "business like" colors such as black, gun metal grey or something lead colored (Even Clear) that you guys have had success with? I have heard some say the HB black doesn't work well but I haven't tried it. Lol, I never though I would become fashion conscience about my ammo!

Thanks
    Mike
    If your getting used to PC, then i suggest trying HiTek coating. Similar process with excellent results and many of the color types that you are requesting feedback on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Smoke (a vs here) sells excellent powders that are proven to work well shake and bake. The slickest and easiest to use is his clear. Goes on white like powdered sugar and flows Crystal clear.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170310_171806-1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	209500
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

I am the same in that bright colors don't do it for me (except for Zombie Green--they are coming you know!)

I put black in with my to dull down the brightness

One thing I've noticed is the colors adhere at different rates. depending on which colors I use the mix will get either darker or lighter as I coat more and more bullets.

Of course I always seem to add other colors than the first two as I use up powder--keeps me interested as I bore easily
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, I think I'll give the clear a try.
    Lakehouse, I have shot some HiTek coated bullets that I purchased with good results. I might give it a try at some point. Just not ready to add yet another process.

Thank you,
    Mike

Boolit Master
    These are some of Smokes colors but the few with bad coverage are HF PC

Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 12-14-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSD MIke View Post

Thanks
    Mike
    Seriously man? Smoke sells Clear and it is cool. For more business colors though, Look for BLACK CHROME, BONDED BLACK CHROME, BLACK CHROME II, SOLAR RAIN, and whatever else floats yer boat. I REALLY like the neato effect from the Black Chrome line. But the Bonded I think is what you need. It gives a WEIRD silicon/silver look with a tinge of blackness to it. I look at them like, is that lead or chrome? Weird. But you can go to powder buy the pound or prismatic and get all kinds of crazy BUSINESS colors...

I have fooled around with a limited color pallet and like the red for my wadcutters but...in the end, it's about getting them PC'd & sized so they are ready for loading or storage...just get them done, quickly without any problems...

In short, the 'way less fuss' route for me has been a 'Clear Gloss'...there's no messing it up and it seems to work well when all the others are finicky. I suppose that's weather related and sometimes just having fresh powder in a cleaned tub will do it too...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I have a bunch of colors & honestly don't care what I shoot. There are lots of choices in powder coating. I haven't tried clear but why not.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    When I'm done shooting I tend to walk around my sand pit and recover some fired projectiles. The only reason I prefer bright colors is because I can walk around and quickly pick up 5 lbs of my 45s from the backstop. Its like picking red cherries from the ground. Very easy to find. This is where bright colors shine. I use black for my 300AAC because hey its blackout right .They look good and I dont recover many of those since they go in too deep or fragment. I'm thinking about picking up some neon pink for my wife and neon green for me but from now on I'm sticking with bright neon colors.

Banned
    mix some of smokes pink with his white and you get a marble boolit