Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Cartridges feeding from magazine

Cartridges feeding from magazine

Has anyone noticed damage to paper patches when feeding from the magazine on a controlled feed rifle? The loaded paper cartridges look "fragile" and I am concerned about damage...Any insight and real world experience is appreciated...

Super Moderator

I use Johnson's Paste Wax, or Roosterjacket on my PP loads. It seems to help protect the patch from getting damaged, but still turns to confetti upon firing.

I can not speak regarding Paper Patch durability in a controlled feed rifle but I use them exclusively in an 1895 Winchester .30-40 and a 99 Savage .300. I use tracing paper for patch material and find the exposed paper very durable.

I do not lube my patches as these are hunting rifles and the lubricant catches dirt. For water proofing, I dip the projectile and neck of loaded cartridges in 1 pound cut shellack. I only do this for the 10 cartridges carried in a cartridge belt and the five in the magazine. The shellack adds to the durability. I don't believe most controlled feed rifles will damage the patch on loading but you will need to try it for your rifle(s).
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Eric, to help PP reloads from the paper tearing when loaded from a magazine:
    * Don't cut the paper grain length wise - cut it cross grain
    * Wet the paper and let it dry before you do the wrapping. This will eliminate the coating applied to paper when it's made
    Regards
    John

Great info gents...Appreciate the real world ideas and experience...

Boolit Buddy
    i use paper patched bullets in my marlin 1896 45-70 i patch wet with 9# 25% cotton onion skin let the patches dry then i lube them with straight lanolin and size them in a push through sizer through normal use i have found no issue, sizing after patching as opposed to before indents the patch into the surface of the bullet slightly as compared to sizing the bullet before patching allowing it to be protected by the exposed lead ever so slightly , i shoot pure lead dropped at .460 patched unsized then sized down to .458 i have found i am more likely to damage the patch via feeding the tubular magazine as opposed to the rifle feeding the cartridges

as for feeding the cartridges in a controlled feed bolt action i think it would very a bit depending on the rifle being used and the caliber of cartridge being shot and patched, most of my control feed guns pop the round up into the bolt pretty easily without a lot of force typically the rounds pop up as the shoulder contacts the front of the magazine well if you were using a straight wall cartridge like a 458 mag you could potently run into an issue depending on bullet profile and patch but it shouldn't be much of an issue once you find the right combo or possibly polish the front of the magazine well the patches are actually quite durable

My sporterized SMLE feeds them fine from the magazine. Printer paper patches too which is a soft paper.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''