MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Camillus cutlery;who else likes em?

Boolit Master

Camillus cutlery;who else likes em?

This last September I got a screaming deal on some knives; one was a tactical style made by Camillus and I've been very impressed with the edge it holds and how well this para frame cord wrapped "cheap" knife held up to cutting chopping throwing and even taking to work and cutting some drywall and heavy cardboard . So after reading some reviews and scoping out the product line up I bought their hunters hatchet ,folding limb/bone saw and a small utility style hunting/outdoor knife with a kydex sheath, well the knife and small ad were sharpe enough to shave with out of the box. Anyhow I have 25 dollars invested into both knives hatchet and saw; you can pay much more for them but if you look for deals I'm amazed at how broad their product line is and backed by warranty.
    Anyone else like or use this brand of cutting instrument?

I havent tried any of the new camillus stuff. I like the old stuff though, and the old schrades. I pretty much like vintage stuff though, if not in age, in design and quality.

In Remembrance
    I really liked them 40 years ago, 12 or so years ago I was in a knife store and they had some. These were the first ones I had seen for several years, anyway I had to have one, but wasn't impressed. It may have been the model I bought, but it sure didn't seem like the quality was what I remembered.

Boolit Master

In 07 or 09 there was a bankruptcy/merger and for a year or two on either side of that I e read quality/quality control suffered... these new knives and tools I wrote about are very impressive to me for the money and the edge they will hold

Boolit Master
    I'm a long time collector of the old Camillus. No interest in the new company.

Boolit Master
    Camillus has some nice looking pocket knives. I’m starting to pay more attention to blade steels now. I’m no knife snob but the higher end steels are getting my attention. I just can’t get myself to pay $150+ on a folder.

Mike

I have a few machete's, one's blade just curled trimming branches. Didn't bother with the warranty, shipping would cost more that a replacement. I like the design tho.

Boolit Master

Heard and read a lot of bad stuff about their machetes; shame I'm really liking this little tomahawk.

Boolit Buddy

Like the older schrades hunting knives. Only needed to be sharpened every couple of years after gutting and processing a deer or two.

I am a fan of the old Camillus carbon steel traditional folders. I have a few of them and guard them jealously. When I find a young, worthy boy coming up that is ready for a good one, I let them have it.
    Those and the old Schrade carbon steel knives and some of the chrome vanadium Case's.
    Yeah, they might lose it or break it, but I still remember getting my first K-Bar folder at about 8 years old. Cut the fire out of myself, almost immediatley, but I didn't let anyone know because they might take it away, haha
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

Boolit Master
    Never had a camillus or even handled one, but I'm spoiled by custom knives. We do have a few carbon steel Case knives, I had my parents restored 2 years back by my bladesmith and it looked brand new after ~30 years of neglect. Those old carbon steel knives are far superior to any stamped metal produced these days. That reminds me I need to touch up the edges on my workhorse.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    In the 60s Camillus made the official Boy Scout and Cub Scout knives. There may have been others too, but Camillus made the ones I had.

Boolit Master
    I had a Camillus barlow model I carried all the time. then had a boy scout model.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have a couple Camillus knives. I started out with a double blade lock back Trapper, that has been my hunting companion for many years. I was able to dress and skin an elk and four deer, and it was still sharp.
    Knowing myself, I have a tendency to loose things occasionally, so found a duplicate with stag handles. It has set in my safe, used very little, as I have managed to not loose my original. I should dig it out and sell it, as I'm crippled up enough I doubt I have enough hunting years left to manage to loose the first one!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

The pilot's survival knife is our friend
    http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...urvival-knife/
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Found one of their old 3 blade pocket knifes yesterday. Really nice knife, doesn't appear to have ever been used. No clue the actual vintage. Only marked Camillus, New York USA. I wasn't from China so I paid the $25 asking price.

In Remembrance
    One old brand I sure liked that I haven't seen any of in years, was eye brand, iirc they were made in Germany though.

Boolit Master
    The USA made Camillus knives were a great bargain and I have owned several. I have no experience with the post-bankruptcy Chinese products.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    One old brand I sure liked that I haven't seen any of in years, was eye brand, iirc they were made in Germany though.
    I have a German Eye bone-handled trapper that is at least 20 years old.
    Made in Solingen, Germany I believe. It gets scary sharp and snaps like an alligator,haha.
    I still see them for sale occasionally in saddle shops and western stores once in a while.
    They sure don't give them away,lol.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

In Remembrance
    I used to buy mine at feed stores, for some reason you didn't see them most places that dealt in knives. Their warranty was second to none, we used them commercial fishing and they were used hard and sharpened a lot, I knew one old fisherman that pretty much sharpened his away and sent it back, they sent it back with a new blade. I knew a derrick hand that stuck his between 2 boards in the derrick floor, the swaying of the rig snapped the blade, again they replaced it. The only one I ever sent back was because the rivet got loose and allowed a little play in the blade, it came back with a new blade.