Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range report with Swedish M96

Range report with Swedish M96

Beautiful day on the 1000 yard range. Nobody but myself and 78 degree sunshine camping at 100 yards.

I suspect the bore is getting a little tired on this rifle. Original barrel all matching, with signs of being used in competition in it's Swedish civilian life. It gauges a 3 on the disc.

The loads for each target are the same. Except the left were uncrimped, the right target moderate crimp with the Lee FCD.

34.5g H4895
    140g Speer SP flat base
    Surplus brass mixed, berdan primed.

I suspect a better quality boat tail bullet and some slower powder like RL22 would shrink things a bit. Maybe sorting headstamps too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

The factory crimp die surely did not improve things.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Load some of these: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/74...ose-box-of-100 if you want to shoot jacketed bullets.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0576.JPG 
Views:	669 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	209488
    42.0 gr of H4831 works well. (This is almost max.)
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 12-13-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    USMC 6638

Those would fill the throat up nicely like the original 6.5 round did before they went to Spitzer style. I'll bet they shoot well indeed

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

In Remembrance

Reloder22 really shines in the 6.5X55 Swede. I have a couple of them and they shoot better with flat base bullets seated out to just touch the rifling leade. The original sights are a bit fine for my eyes so I fitted the M96 with a swedish micrometer rear sight and cut group size in half. Great rifles!

Boolit Master
    Iron military sights at 100 yards? Not bad at all!! I agree that a slower powder might help tighten things up, though mine loves Varget with 140s and 129s. But nothing shoots as well as 160grs RN over H4350.

Boolit Buddy
    78 degrees and sunshine, it will be 6 months before I see that. Nice shooting,

Boolit Master

Wish my old eyes would allow me to shoot open sights. First, I would separate my brass. After sizing and trimming I would weigh the cases. Case weight = thicker or thinner brass which dictates case volume which effects pressure which effects velocity and group size. With all that said your shooting was pretty good with what you were working with.

Boolit Master
    IMR 4831 does a nice job in that cartridge too.

I wanted to note this rifle has the old style sights regulated for the older m94 round nose ammo.

All rifles in service received a decal or plate to give the correct sight corrections when the Army went to the flatter shooting m41 ammo.

The decal states that with the new M41 ammo at 100 meters, one must hold 3 decimeters low. Which is around 12 inches low. Which is exactly how low I placed my bullseye. Pretty cool.

Boolit Buddy
    My 96/38 preferred 45.5grs IMR 4350 or 48.5grs RL19 with 120gr jacketed , with 140gr jacketed it preferred 45.0grs of RL19 or 46.5grs of RL22 . Best results with 160gr jacketed were 45.6 or 44.0grs of H4831SC or 46.0grs of RL22 . Stock sights are set for 300M zero , you can get a taller front sight for 100yd zero . They also made a peep type rear sight that'd replace stock & depending on aperature size would reduce groups considerably . Cast loads with the Lyman 266469 13.5 to 19.5grs of SR4759 , 20 to 21grs IMR4895 or 23.5grs of H4895 gave best results .

Boolit Master

I had to reread your post a couple of times.... 1000 yards and with iron sights! Then I finally saw the 100 yards. Man I sure jump to conclusions. None the less you sure can make that Swede shoot!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I want to work up to 1000 soon. I will post it here when I do. My 300 yard target opened up to a sheet of printer paper size. White paper on a faded brown cardboard target stand I just couldn't make out my bullseye.

Boolit Master

I recently added a no-drill mount and a cheap LER scope to my 1909 CG rifle and now I can finally see and shoot with this rifle. It's accuracy blows me away for such an oldie. I have less than $200 in it and it will be used soon when I go out for Nilgai.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...6&d=1512354671
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Love that Speer 140gr SP over 43.0gr IMR4831 in both my Swedes. The 140gr Nosler Partitions shoot to the same POI with the same load.
    A deplorable that votes!

We just got a Sportsmans Warehouse here so the bullet selections are incredible. The Speers were 17 cents a pop, Sierra Fmjbt 20 cents a piece. I draw the line at 30 cents a pop. That's when the Lee 20lb pot comes out.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfreak25 View Post
    We just got a Sportsmans Warehouse here so the bullet selections are incredible. The Speers were 17 cents a pop, Sierra Fmjbt 20 cents a piece. I draw the line at 30 cents a pop. That's when the Lee 20lb pot comes out.

Sportsman must have been having a Grand Opening sale, that is a good price on either of those bullets! I think I pay about 30 c for Hornady and 70 cents for hunting bullets, Nosler partition.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    fwiw, the hornady 6.5 140 grain bthp bullets are $25/100 anywhere. I shoot them over imr 4831 (more often shoot cast in this caliber) when I shoot jacketed bullets. nice, flat load. sometimes you can see the bullet splash at 500 meters on the rams! love the Swedish mausers.

Ja! Alskar min svenska mauser, skjuter NOE 270-149RN mycket bra!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I’ve shot SMK 6.5 -140 grain over both 4350 and 4831 (of both varieties) and when I scoped this rifle, and glass bedded the action,it really let it shine accuracy wise! (I can’t shoot open sights well at all!) Any thing I’ve ever shot it with has went down in one shot! Nothing else to say, I guess.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast