Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fell in the hole

Boolit Master

Fell in the hole

Last spring, PCP rifle arrived at my door, a hand pump was part of the purchase.

Love the rifle, don't love the pump.

Today I ordered tigershark carbon fiber tank, protective bag for tank, fire house fill fittings, and quick detach air gun fill hose with two gauges.

Adam at airtanksforsale took my order and said it might arrive Monday.

Once I get over the purchase price, I see another PCP airgun in my future.

The lyrics of an old golden earring song come to mind. "falling down a spiral, destination unknown".
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Those pumps are hard to deal with over 2000 psi .Which pcp did you buy ? Air Hog has some sales going on as well .Marvin

Lots have fallen to the dark side. I am resisting yet.

I still think I "enjoy" the shooting more when i "Earn" each shot with some effort cocking or pumping. Call me crazy.

Just be aware your tanks will expire and have to be re-hydrotested every 3 to 5 years if you have them filled by an outside source. That's about the only down side on giving up on the pump. Check local dive shop for cost.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Local dive shops can do this or fire extinguisher companies. They pressure test tankes all the time. I needed a tank for my mig welder the local welding shop wanted 250$ for a new tank. I called the local fire extinguisher co and he had a co2 tank the size I needed .they installed a new valve the type I needed for my welder ,pressure tested it and sold it to me for 45$

Boolit Master

My rifle is a 25 cal marauder.
    I did check the air supply and testing requirements.
    Hydro testing can be done just a few hours away, which isn't too bad in Montana. Surely I can find an excuse to drive to Missoula in four years or so.
    A volunteer fire station is just three blocks from home, the local dive shop, about 7 miles, only has 3500 PSI, so they are pretty much out as an air source.

I have not approached the closest volunteer fire dept. yet. I did ask a friend on a more distant fire dept. about filling a tank, his response was "where is your tank?" Then gave me a look like, you idiot! when I said that I didn't have one yet.

Next rifle is going to be .177, semi auto, and have sling attachment points suitable for position shooting.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Some airguns need 4500 PSI air now IIRC? Lot of hand pumping for that. I've thought of an FX Impact for rats etc., enough other irons in the fire right now to not do anything on it yet. FWB 124 I can get at needs new pump seals, doable this. Not as rapid of repeat shots as a semi or PCP bolt airgun tho.

Glad to hear your getting set up the way you want it. You'll probably get a lot of fun out of it and shoot more to boot. You've still got the pump for a back up.

I've been looking hard at the recluse for a while now, but lately have been looking harder at the marauder again, maybe even the handgun version of it, as i've heard it's quick and easy to fill with a hand pump.

Boolit Master

I keep looking at the bulldog, but really need to focus on a regulated 177, with some place to attach sling swivels.

What caliber recluse tickles your fancy?
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

I'm kind of torn between the recluse in 357, or the Sumatra in 25 cal. Lately though, I've been leaning back towards the marauder in 25 cal. I'm still in the research mode on all of it.

Boolit Master

One constant, the bigger the bore, the more air needed.
    The 17s are more hand pump friendly.

I'm guessing that casting pellets is not out of the question, that really does give the .357 rifles some appeal, I have a 6 cavity mold for 82 grain wadcutters, and 105 grain semi wadcutters.
    And a couple 6 cavity 9mm molds 95 grain and 124TC. Probably could make something work.

Have you checked Bob's boatails on NOE's website?

Drool, drool, dang it, my keyboard is getting wet.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    I've come full circle, the more I use my PCPs (2-daystates and 1 air arms) with bottles the more that I like my springers (tx 200, hw 97, hw 95).

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    One constant, the bigger the bore, the more air needed.
    The 17s are more hand pump friendly.

I'm guessing that casting pellets is not out of the question, that really does give the .357 rifles some appeal, I have a 6 cavity mold for 82 grain wadcutters, and 105 grain semi wadcutters.
    And a couple 6 cavity 9mm molds 95 grain and 124TC. Probably could make something work.

Have you checked Bob's boatails on NOE's website?

Drool, drool, dang it, my keyboard is getting wet.
    Cast is definitly on my mind, which is why i like the long chambers in the mag on the sumatra, or just trying roundballs in the recluse.

The recluse is more for strickly hunting in my mind because of the limited shot count...takes lots of air for that one for sure.
    And yes, i've been eyeing Bob's Boattails.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I've come full circle, the more I use my PCPs (2-daystates and 1 air arms) with bottles the more that I like my springers (tx 200, hw 97, hw 95).
    Lol, i can easily see myself coming to that same conclusion...at least for about 90% of my air gun shooting.
    I'd like to have at least one good pcp rifle in the closet too though.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Cast is definitly on my mind, which is why i like the long chambers in the mag on the sumatra, or just trying roundballs in the recluse.

The recluse is more for strickly hunting in my mind because of the limited shot count...takes lots of air for that one for sure.
    And yes, i've been eyeing Bob's Boattails.
    The Recluses I have do like RB . But the BC and drift are bad news past 50 yards . The 105 grain Lee SWC is a good bullet choice for them . As far as the Sumatra it is very limited to bullet choice still because of the length of most slugs . After having my Recluses tuned by Will I tether them on low power at 2100 psi. Shooting the Lee SWC AT 850 FPS using 100 psi. of air out of the tube with the tether line closed . Don't forget that smaller caliber bullets take a higher psi . to move than a larger caliber . Which means you can sometimes end up getting fewer shoots out of a tank of air because you have to stop shooting at a higher psi . Marvin

Boolit Master
    Just seems that whenever I go to use my PCPs it's not convenient to use or take my bottle.

Boolit Master
    When I went PCP I did it all in. Rifle, bottle, and one of these.

http://www.shoeboxcompressor.com/

Initial investment hurt a bit but was recovered quicker than thought considering how many rounds was put through them.

Ebner

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'm considering the same, but wondering if there are other compressors - Tho I do scuba dive (or used to before my knee was messed up) so that's a consideration. Spare bottle'd be handy after 60 shots or something. Used to be a good FX compressor, can't seem to see it for sale now...

There are several compressors on the market now . PA and others are listing a Airventri . I bought a Nardi which I am happy with from PA when they sold them . Not sure if they still do . Marvin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by melloairman View Post
    The Recluses I have do like RB . But the BC and drift are bad news past 50 yards . The 105 grain Lee SWC is a good bullet choice for them . As far as the Sumatra it is very limited to bullet choice still because of the length of most slugs . After having my Recluses tuned by Will I tether them on low power at 2100 psi. Shooting the Lee SWC AT 850 FPS using 100 psi. of air out of the tube with the tether line closed . Don't forget that smaller caliber bullets take a higher psi . to move than a larger caliber . Which means you can sometimes end up getting fewer shoots out of a tank of air because you have to stop shooting at a higher psi . Marvin
    The idea that smaller pellets need higher pressure never occurred to me until you mentioned it.
    I do understand the larger area concept, and have seen large wheel loader tires blow up with 35 psi and a load on the forks somewhat over the tire's ability.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast