Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many times do you reload your brass?

Boolit Buddy

How many times do you reload your brass?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but I didnt know where to post this so here it goes. I was just wondering how many times is everyone reloading their brass? Do you mark your reloads? I know it depends on caliber, gun, charge etc.

Handgun brass I reload until necks are splitting or primer pockets are lose. I dont mark my handgun reloads because I just keep reloading it sometimes probably more then dozen times. Never had any problems here. Thats 9mm, 38S/357Mag, 45ACP. Shooting cast 99% of the time (not that it matters).

For rifles though i only shoot 5.56 and 300AAC. I mark my 5.56 because as it seems I only get about 3 or 4 reloads before primer pockets get blown out of spec and my primers dont go in tight. I had few primers get blown out of brass from that so I watch it more carefully now. I dont know if I'm doing something wrong I'm not loading my 5.56 super hot (around 25-26gr of BLC2 or Varget) but from my google search seems like people are getting more reloads then 3 or 4. I mostly use once fired LC brass so its not like I'm using some crapy brass.

Now 300 Blackout is great because its more less a magnum pistol cartridge so less pressure and less stress on that brass so i reload 300AAC brass until primers are lose or necks split just like handgun brass. I dont mark it and I dont even know honestly how many times I reload each piece but I know I get more reloads then 5.56 LC brass.

Boolit Buddy

I reload handgun brass until I lose it or I find a defect. I rarely find a defect. I lose a lot of handgun brass every year. I don't reload enough rifle brass to worry a out it.

Boolit Buddy
    I load them till I start seeing cracks or other defects like loose primer pockets.

I have yet to find the upper limit on my 45 brass. but pistol, I load until it fails. only had a few 38 spl cases fail on me so far, and I bought those well used.

rifle brass - until a defect shows.

Boolit Grand Master

Until it fails, for a myriad of reasons, or I lose it.

Boolit Bub
    Only 1 time HOT after that untill a defect shows and then the whole lot goes to the scrap metal.
    Both handgun and longgun

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I know most are in the same boat reloading until it fails but on average how many times is that for lets say 5.56 LC brass loaded with 55gr FMJ going around 3000f/s ?

ADMIN

I would say 4 or 5 times.
    Depends in you aneal the case or not.
    Depends on how much if any crimp you do.

Necked cases have less life then straight walled because the neck area gets overworked.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    I would say 4 or 5 times.
    Depends in you aneal the case or not.
    Depends on how much if any crimp you do.

Necked cases have less life then straight walled because the neck area gets overworked.
    I'm ok with that but I'm reading on other forums people claiming to reload 15-20 times after annealing which seems like few times too many for me. Thats why I dont think I would shoot anyone elses reloads unless I knew the source. It only takes one to send you to the hospital

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jakharath View Post
    I load them till I start seeing cracks or other defects like loose primer pockets.
    Once they start cracking and splitting I'll anneal them once and continue till they fail.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

For Rifles, I "try" to anneal around the 6-7th time. I have some going on 20+. I don't hot rod my loads. Pistols are indefinite.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    How many times do you reload your brass?
    Until they split or the cup enlarges
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I had 30/30 and 22 Hornet brass I loaded from 1978 til I crimped case mouths shut with pliers in 2005. Don't know how many times they were loaded but 30/30 was mid powered boolit loads. Hornet was mostly starting loads with 45 and 46gr jacketed bullets, using 2400 and H110

Boolit Master
    Historically, GONRA grabs "range brass" - reloads it.
    Suited me Just Fine for decades for my Slam Bang Shootin' - "self loading" pistols, rifles, SMGs, etc.
    BUT - you gotta be really careful to cull out Bad News!!!
    Same applies to yer Multi Fired Handloaded Brass too!

BUT - one Peculiar Exception - "RANGE BRASS" resulted in STUCK CASES
    in my Brand New .357 magnum S&W AirLite PD 5 shot ultra light weight revolver, single, double action revolver
    that I got out of curiosity – because of the “light weight” advertising hype.

Same Moderate Handloads (primer, powder type / charge, commercial jacketed bullet)
    functioned Just Fine (no stick in cylinder) using BRAND NEW Ni PLATED IMI .357 Mag Brass.

You Revolver Guys - Go Figger.... Need yer Comments! THANX!

If you are blowing out primer pockets in 3-4 reloads, your loads are over pressure. I have some 260ai brass that has gone 10X, neck sized. My normal 223 loads in an Ar go 8-10, then I start losing then to split necks. Handgun brass depends on how hot you run it but I have 45acp that has gone maybe 15-16x, can't even read the headstamp.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I run them until they split (neck splits). I have rifle cases that have gone 20+. Its a question of how hot you like to shoot. I like reduced recoil so my loads are never anywhere near maximum.-- That makes the brass last a lot longer.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Until crack, defects or I lose it. I load most pretty light for target and plinking so they seem to last a long time for me.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I have some federal 357 mag brass in my cabinet right now on its 16 th reload . I keep a tag in every plastic ammo box with my load data and times loaded . now the brass I mentioned has been loaded light with a 105 SwC bullet with 4.8 gr of pb .my other 357 load is a 158 gr swc over 6 gr of unique . I don't get as many loads out of them but still usually get 10 or 12 . I've already loaded 9mm brass 15 times without issue .

Cast Boolits Owner

99% of what I shoot is pistol and I load those until they fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Quote Originally Posted by sandman228 View Post
    I have some federal 357 mag brass in my cabinet right now on its 16 th reload . I keep a tag in every plastic ammo box with my load data and times loaded . now the brass I mentioned has been loaded light with a 105 SwC bullet with 4.8 gr of pb .my other 357 load is a 158 gr swc over 6 gr of unique . I don't get as many loads out of them but still usually get 10 or 12 . I've already loaded 9mm brass 15 times without issue .
    Just curios and nothing more but do you clean your brass? and if so , only 50 at a time? I full length size everything because I have multiple guns in each caliber, My tumbler will do a gallon of brass easy at on time. Have never heard of keeping count in the box. Please don't take my question wrong, it is in earnest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast