Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Made Pellet Sizer Dies

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Remember somewhere that I read there was a set of dies for reducing .22 pellets to .20. Can’t find 5 mm pellets locally. Everyone has.177/.22. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    The sizing die I made for final sizing is basically just a cylindrical chunk of metal with the correct sized hole drilled though the middle. They are easily made and you really don't need alot of tools to make them. I'm not sure what the diameter of a .20 caliber pellet is supposed to be but, for example; a 3/16" drill bit will make a hole somewhere in the neighborhood of .1875" in diameter. From there you can ream it out with a 13/64" reamer to bring it up to .203". If you need it bigger than that you can do what I do.

I wrap some fine emery-cloth around a wooden dowel and polish away just enough of the walls of my holes to get me to where I want to be diameter-wise.

HollowPoint

I once shot some .22 cal pellets out of my .22-250 using just the primer. This was fun & they shot okay. The problem was that a .22 pellet is .222 & the barrel is .224 (IIRC). Holding them in the case neck was a problem too. I tried pressing the pellets to expand them some, but I had little success. An expander die would have been ideal.

Just FWIW....

BTW: a tenth or two of Bullseye & the .22-250 would really make the pellets fly! But the noise was definitely noticeable!...LOL
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

I looked all over last year for 5mm pellets no luck my son got me some for Christmas then i found a bag of about 500 i bought at a yard sale ($1) i forgot i had ! They are very accurate i have no idea who makes them .
    I made a smaller die for 25 caliber pellets will try it out tomorrow if the weather lets me!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I looked all over last year for 5mm pellets no luck my son got me some for Christmas then i found a bag of about 500 i bought at a yard sale ($1) i forgot i had !
    Best bet is online. Pyramid air—buy 3 or 4, get one free. I like the 5’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Slightly off topic but since JSBs were mentioned, they tend to shoot better (they do in my disco) because they are more uniform but also because they are made from a softer alloy so even if the skirt it slighly undersized it easily obdurates to fill the bore. Crosman pellets are very hard so you get less skirt expansion, especially with lower power guns. I'd bet that just adding some flare to the skirt of the crosman cphp would improve accuracy.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Quote Originally Posted by easilydistrac... View Post
    Slightly off topic but since JSBs were mentioned, they tend to shoot better (they do in my disco) because they are more uniform but also because they are made from a softer alloy so even if the skirt it slighly undersized it easily obdurates to fill the bore. Crosman pellets are very hard so you get less skirt expansion, especially with lower power guns. I'd bet that just adding some flare to the skirt of the crosman cphp would improve accuracy.
    Sounds logical; and it most likely is the case with many air guns. My Break Barrels need snug fitting pellet uniformity to give repeatable accuracy. Each gun is different. I recently acquired a Umarex Gauntlet that I have now realized will need me to bring the outside diameter of the pellet skirts down just so they'll chamber without shearing off the very outside edges of the skirts. This same sizing down of the pellets in this particular PCP air rifle serves to give a slight increase in velocity as well. I'm guessing that the barrel has little to no chamber cut into the chamber end of it. My pellets, regardless of brand are being chambered directly into the lands and grooves.

HollowPoint

Quote Originally Posted by easilydistrac... View Post
    I do that very thing with cphp for a couple of airguns. I just use the end of a plastic ball point pen to flare the hollowpoint a bit and had a definite increase in accuracy.
    Crosman piranahs don't seem to need this in my airguns, but the premier hp's did benefit from it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12