Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loads for garand with 311299

Boolit Master

Assuming your pewter is 90% tin, you BHN is around 13.7 before you water drop. Tin is about 5.7%. I think most of the experienced casters on this site will say that only 1.5 to 2% tin is all that is necessary for a good cast. May be able to save some tin. Maybe they will confirm this assumption.

Boolit Grand Master

I suggest leaving the linotype out then add enough pewter to the COWW so it adds 2% tin. WQ the bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Base on Larry's recommendation, you would only need 0.22 lbs of tin to 12 lb of WW. If the pewter is 90% tin, then that is 4 oz of pewter. BHM= 11.9.

Boolit Master

Will give that a try, need to cast some from straight coww and see if they drop smaller at nose.

Boolit Master

I think two potential issues have been identified. One beening the nose diameter and the other beening the overall diameter. Could be either one that is preventing you from going into battery. Looks like progress. Should be easy to determine.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the help guys, have to walk through a swamp now to get to back garage and get started on changing the pot out for new melt. Will let you know how it goes, mean while I ordered a NOE 311365 mold, 199gr spire point, it loads shorts enough that the nose should not be a problem, want a heavy boolit to reach the 500 meter ram. Can always hope.

Boolit Master

I hope I found the problem. My mold alignment pins came loose enough where all my boolits were oval, .301 at the seam and .303 on mold sides.
    Got the pins back to were there is no light looking through mold and they are all casting round and right at .2995, will get some dummy rounds loaded tomorrow and try them in all 3 guns.

Boolit Master

Getting the mold right was huge, also cutout the Lino and boolits still are plenty hard with no damage feeding from mag or enblock, just barely a trace of rifling an nose, feeds in all three guns with no problem. Will get some loaded now for next weekend and let you all know how it goes.
    Did get my new NOE mold in last night, 311-199 will get some cast, loaded and try them too.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    311299, 202gr bullet ... Winchester WXR - From 52.0 grains to 58.0 grains
    Regards
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12