RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a cheap dedicated decapping press

Boolit Buddy

Looking for a cheap dedicated decapping press

I have a small single stage Lee ($25) press that I use for dedicated decapping. The primers fall through the ram and then jam between the ram and frame. I can only run 3-4 cases before I have to clear out the primer jam which is a royal pain in the backside. Any ideas on how to prevent these jams or suggest a better, more reliable press, that is not very expensive?

Boolit Master

An old used RCBS JR2 or JR3 might fill the bill nicely. They had an aluminum or plastic primer catcher cup depending on the age and you definitely want that cup. There are any number of quality old presses that would work. For decappin git doesn't need to be a heavy duty or powerful one. You can see pictures on Bing or Google pictures.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    What lee press do u have? I have a mounted lee cast press that the primers just fall in the hopper. My lee hand held press does jam up if Iam laying it on its side while depriving. I like using it for depriming sitting on the couch. If I hold it up and tap the ram every 4 or 5 th time the primers usually fall out

Boolit Master
    I use my drill press and a brass centering fixturing made from 2 fender washers on a block of wood for every caliber:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45ACP.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	209421

Name:	BottomBlock.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	209422

Name:	PrmrCup.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	209423
    There's no sliding the case in/out of a shell holder so de-priming goes quickly with the spent primers collected it the lower 2x4 block cavity.

Boolit Master

I bought a Lee breech lock for that purpose, I like how the primers fall through the clear tubing into whatever you choose, no mess, no handling. Probably find one on eBay cheap.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    My Lee Challenger does not jam, and very rarely sends a primer anywhere other than down the spent primer tube. You have to make sure the primer piece is installed in the ram to have them go the right way, though. I extended the tube to dump them in a coffee can on the floor. They are pretty cheap, especially used.
    Back in the land of boolits.

I have the cheapest Lee mounted to a hunk of metal with a fitting and hose, just clamp it to any surface and go.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I have the cheapest Lee mounted to a hunk of metal with a fitting and hose, just clamp it to any surface and go.
    That's the one I have. How do you keep the primers from jamming between the ram and the frame?

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Lee Classic Cast and the tube sits in an old milk jug till it get full then toss and get a new jug .

anyone have any experience with the Frankfort arsenal hand tool ?

Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    That's the one I have. How do you keep the primers from jamming between the ram and the frame?
    It’s likely die adjustment, or decapping pin in the die, is your problem.

Look at the frame, with the ram down. See the slot that the primers are supposed to fall into?

Now look at the ram, all the way up (handle all the way down). See the hole the primers fall out of?

Now, you want the decapping pin to push the primer out of the pocket when the exit hole in the ram is towards the top of the slot in the frame, middle would be OK too but if they hit the frame above or below the slot, deals off.

Boolit Grand Master

For strictly decapping I would look at one of the hand decappers, benefits are size its hand held light and handy, It can be used almost anywhere since it isn't bolted down or so awkward to use. And they take up very little space. I have one in my line box and several around the reloading room. It dos'nt take a lot to decap cases if that's all your doing. I like them over a press.
    As for a dedicated press the little Lees c frames work great and are inexpensive. A hole drilled in the bench at the right spot allows the spent primers to drop thru. A hose over this hole to a gallon jug ( don't fill it full they are heavy) catches all the primers. Mounted on a plate and stand with a tray under it works also. This needs at least one die and set of shell holders.
    The handheld tool dosn't need a lot of extras. You feel the pin into the hole hook the rim on the ledge and squeeze. A set of bushings for different calibers as needed makes it easier to find the flash hole. These arn't hard to make. All of mine are home made from various materials. I made one form some nice walnut even. I used a decapping rod froman old die set for the rod and worked around that.

Boolit Buddy
    It’s likely die adjustment, or decapping pin in the die, is your problem.

Look at the frame, with the ram down. See the slot that the primers are supposed to fall into?

Now look at the ram, all the way up (handle all the way down). See the hole the primers fall out of?

Now, you want the decapping pin to push the primer out of the pocket when the exit hole in the ram is towards the top of the slot in the frame, middle would be OK too but if they hit the frame above or below the slot, deals off.
    OK, I will check the die adjustment out today. My primers are accumulating BELOW the hole on the frame upright. That is where the binding occurs.

They should be coming out of the hole in the side of the ram with enough velocity to make it to the hole in the ram. Maybe it’s gunked up and causing them to dribble out, run a Q-tip in their to make sure it’s clean.

Agree getting an old RCBS Jr. or RS. I got a RS a few years back off fleabay for $50 delivered.

Boolit Grand Master
    Pick up an old Lyman 310 tool with the universal decapper. Problem solved.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    Mine's never jambed that I can remember. i too use a cheap lee C press mounted tot he edge of my bench, and have a hole drilled thru the bench, and a jar lid screwed to the bottom of the bench.. lid has a hole punched in it. I just screw the jar onto the lid and it catches the primers. i unscrew and empty after a few thousand collect. once in a blue moon, it will toss a primer out topside somehow.. but never has jambed.

Boolit Master

They should be coming out of the hole in the side of the ram with enough velocity to make it to the hole in the ram. Maybe it’s gunked up and causing them to dribble out, run a Q-tip in their to make sure it’s clean.
    good call.. maybee ram needs cleaning

Throwing out spent primers is losing money. Scrap yard will take them as brass. I collect mine along with any discarded and damaged cases (with the neck crushed using pliers) get better than the price of lead per pound. Coffee can worth of brass goes to scrap yard and some lead comes home with me.

I use my Lee turret press, have my deprime dies and some other utility dies mounted on turret disks that I slap in when needed. Love the hollow ram and hose for spent primers.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Found the problem. The de-cap die was adjusted down too low and primers were missing the slot in the press upright. Works like a champ now. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions here guys. You saved me a $$$ trip to flea-Bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast