WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've loaded around 600 rounds on my new Lee turret press...

Boolit Bub

I've loaded around 600 rounds on my new Lee turret press...

I felt like I had everything dialed in pretty well. I'm using Lee 9mm dies, range brass, SNS coated bullets and a couple of different powders. I'm checking my powder charges and OAL every so often and they look to be consistent.

Everything has gone bang, and the accuracy level seems good. But I'm having other issues, like rounds not quite going into battery, failures to eject, stovepipes, etc.

I'm just not sure where to look for the problem.

Did you size your bullets after coating or before? Or size them at all?

BTW - those Turret presses are pretty sweet ain't they.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

If you don't have a sizing die, I have one you can have. It's for the 9mm and it's a lee .356 sized with pusher and Ben. I have a .357 and primarily use that. You will need a single stage Press, highly recommend the lee challenger fairly inexpensive and rock solid for sizing. Here is my setup seriously PM me and I'll mail it to you. I need to pay it forward from another members generous PIF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Did you size your bullets after coating or before? Or size them at all?

BTW - those Turret presses are pretty sweet ain't they.
    I do like the press...

No, I didn't size the bullets, but just to be clear I didn't cast these or do the coating

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamezius Maximus View Post
    If you don't have a sizing die, I have one you can have. It's for the 9mm and it's a lee .356 sized with pusher and Ben. I have a .357 and primarily use that. You will need a single stage Press, highly recommend the lee challenger fairly inexpensive and rock solid for sizing. Here is my setup seriously PM me and I'll mail it to you. I need to pay it forward from another members generous PIF

I appreciate the offer, but I'm afraid I don't have a single stage press to use it...

Boolit Master
    Some guns are pickey. I have a nine that likes fmjs but cast hangs up in.it likes a shorter oal than the fmjs.i use mixed range brass some it likes some it don't hope u find what the problem is

You don't need a single stage for sizing, use a turret and just take out the indexing shaft. That's what I used to do before I made an upside down sizing press.

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    You don't need a single stage for sizing, use a turret and just take out the indexing shaft. That's what I used to do before I made an upside down sizing press.
    This works. I use the turret press with the indexing rod out about 1/2 the time. Sometimes for things like sizing, others when I just want to do one step on all the cases, then turn the turret and do the next step. That is what makes the turret such a good first press. Auto indexing allows one to crank out ammo with less complexity than a progressive, while still covering the stuff better done single stage.

Plunk test your bullets. With the barrel off try dropping some of the finished bullets into the barrel do they drop in and "plunk" to fully seated position, or are they tight or not getting all the way seated. You will be using your barrel like a test gage. If the bullets smoothly plunk into the barrel in your hand when dropped in then they are not over sized to start with, if not smoothly dropping in then sizing is called for.

If I was you I would take Jamezius Maxiumus up on his offer of a sizer. You can use it on your press and size matters, at least in bullets. And fish, bigger fish is better story. Buck or hog that got away, them too.

You might google plunk test for bullets to get a better description or to find a YouTube video of it but it is basically just checking the round for fit in your chamber.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    There is a sticky in the classics and stickies forum titled ' setting up for boolits in a new 9mm ' that is very informative , and well worth reading . It may help you work out half your trouble even though it doesn't address the stove pipe issue , it might help .

Boolit Master

I agree that oversized bullets COULD result in rounds not going fully into battery, but from my experience so could a weak recoil spring. I don't think failures to eject & stovepipes indicate sizing issues.
    Wdfwguy, do these problems occur in a particular firearm or several? If only in one firearm, do the issues go away when you use factory-made ammo? What kind of firearm? Loads that are on the mild side will often cause stovepiping and failures to eject. What powder & charge, what weight bullet are you loading?

If your shells don't pass the plunk test, you might need to adjust your taper crimp die. But if your bullets are not resized before loading adjusting the taper crimp die probably won't help. Look in your reloader's manual for tips on adjusting dies. You do have a manual that you have read, don't you?

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Quote Originally Posted by wdfwguy View Post
    But I'm having other issues, like rounds not quite going into battery, failures to eject, stovepipes, etc.

I'm just not sure where to look for the problem.
    It sounds like your rounds may be slightly underpowered. All of those failures could be caused by the rounds not having quite enough "oomph" to cycle the action properly. You didn't list your load, but just judging by what you are describing, that's where I would look first.

Boolit Master

agreed.. underpowered and short stroking is a possibility.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    agreed.. underpowered and short stroking is a possibility.
    which leads to no joy
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Is your wrist limp?

If they are 40,9mm or 45 you may need to run them thru a bulge buster. They may have been shot thru an unsupported barrel and have a slight bulge that the sizing die is not taking out. This is for the ones not going into battery. i run into that issue with my 45 from time to time.

Boolit Bub
    I'm not limp wristing, the same guns are running 100% with factory ammo

I tried the plunk test with a handful of reloads and a few factory rounds and they feel identical. Plunk in and fall out.

And I don't feel like they're underpowered. The AA #2 load data min/max is 3.0/3.8 and these are 3.8. Which the manual says should be 1012 fps, and the factory Blazer is 1090. Does that sound underpowered?

And the Sporting Pistol has a max load of 3.9g (1066 fps) and my loads were 3.8.

So, I'm still kind of confused.

Quote Originally Posted by wdfwguy View Post
    I'm not limp wristing, the same guns are running 100% with factory ammo

I tried the plunk test with a handful of reloads and a few factory rounds and they feel identical. Plunk in and fall out.

And I don't feel like they're underpowered. The AA #2 load data min/max is 3.0/3.8 and these are 3.8. Which the manual says should be 1012 fps, and the factory Blazer is 1090. Does that sound underpowered?

And the Sporting Pistol has a max load of 3.9g (1066 fps) and my loads were 3.8.

So, I'm still kind of confused.
    If same ammo is working in other guns, then like the gentleman above us said "your recoil spring is worn out" that would be my .02

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I agree that oversized bullets COULD result in rounds not going fully into battery, but from my experience so could a weak recoil spring. I don't think failures to eject & stovepipes indicate sizing issues.
    Wdfwguy, do these problems occur in a particular firearm or several? If only in one firearm, do the issues go away when you use factory-made ammo? What kind of firearm? Loads that are on the mild side will often cause stovepiping and failures to eject. What powder & charge, what weight bullet are you loading?
    This was with 2 different pistols, a Glock 17 and a 1911.

124g SNS coated RN
    Win SPP
    Range brass

3.8g AA #2 and 3.8g Sport Pistol

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamezius Maximus View Post
    If same ammo is working in other guns, then like the gentleman above us said "your recoil spring is worn out" that would be my .02

Sorry for the confusion, I'm getting the same failures in both guns. The factory ammo is working in both guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast