Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Would 9 BHN coated in PC work ok for 9mm?

Boolit Buddy

Would 9 BHN coated in PC work ok for 9mm?

I would like to know if 9 BHN coated in PC be ok shooting out of a 9 MM?

Boolit Master

It should...give it a go. If you've sized right and coated right should shoot good.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Bub
    I'm using range scrap with pc and it Shoots fine out of my 9mm.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Chrometip78 do you know the BHN of your Range lead? What are you sizing your projectiles at? I was told to size at .356 as the projectiles will exspand and fill the barrel.

Banned

Depends on the gun on the size. I do 0.358" for all 9mm.

Boolit Buddy
    Hard to say if thats going to work for you because every gun is different but if your lead is that soft I would water drop those boolits to give it little bit of extra hardness. A lot of people are having leading issues with 9mm and soft lead. Powder coat helps and it works great for me but its not a miracle cure by any means. Also one persons PC is different from anothers. I take my time when I PC and get pretty thick but even coat. I've seen others that seem very thin and hitek coating is even thinner so it all depends. You'll have to try and see how it works out for you.
    Last edited by marek313; 12-13-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Boolit Master

For 8.5 bhn in my 9mm I found a double layer of HF red powder coat seems to work best.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm using 2 layers of Professional PC on my 9 BHN projectiles.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
    I would like to know if 9 BHN coated in PC be ok shooting out of a 9 MM?
    YES & NO.

It depends on how hard you push the bullet and if it's properly sized for the gun.

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW - I've been using Smoke's powder on my 44 Special and Magnum boolits. My boolits are 20 to 1 and measure right at 9 BHN. There has been no indication whatsoever of leading and accuracy is on par if not better than with the same boolits using LBT Blue. I also drive the boolits at 1100fps and 1250fps respectively.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Depends on the gun & load. For 9mm minor, like 147gr @ 850fps, works just fine.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    my barrel is slugged at .356. I was told to size at .356 as the lead will exspand also and seal properly. I also use 2 coats of PC with very good power from a local business that PC for businesses so I know it's good stuff. I would think the softer stuff as I have would be better as it would seal the barrel better. My next adventure is with Hi-Tek once I get the proper turning of it down. I shot some of these 9 BHN and I got the dark gray coloring in my rifling just the same gray color as FMJ would do in barrels so I wouldn't believe it's leading of any kind. I also used barrel cleaning solution and used a total of like 20 strokes and by barrel is clean as it will ever get. Oh heard of its leading it would takes hours to clean it out. Also you all should know that I'm using the Gen 5 Glock with there new rifling as I heard the new Barrel is ok to use lead in. I'm also using Titregroup at 4.0 grains. I was told by a guy that cast with soft lead to use higher pressure so the bullet really exspands to make a good seal. I shot 19 BHN PC 2 weeks ago and I'm thinking I didn't see any difference between the 2 projectials.

Banned

I have a Gen 4 g19 that I shoot lead in and it never leads up. Size it for your barrel and it will not lead. Glock barrels behave the same way all others do. Run the bullets 0.0015" to 0.0025" over what your barrel measures and it most likely will not lead unless you have really bad lube.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
    Chrometip78 do you know the BHN of your Range lead? What are you sizing your projectiles at? I was told to size at .356 as the projectiles will exspand and fill the barrel.
    Sorry, I don't know the BHN of my scrap but it's probably close to 9. Not sizing my boolits either, just a very basic process has worked for me. Powder coat them as they drop, load'em over 4.5gr Unique, and finish with up the Lee FCD to ensure they'll chamber. So far, so good.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    As I said earlier I'm getting gray color in the rifling but it looks the same as my friends rifling looks shooting FMJ. So I don't think it's Lead.any one know if Hi-Tek reacts as good as PC or is it a softer coating?I would like to have both as a option as coating.

Pc is a polyester based coating
    Hi-tec is a polyurethane based coating

I use/shoot range lead (+/- 9bhn) in my 9mm's that have 1 coat of pc. I've shot bullets sized to .356 in bbl's that slugged .358 with no issues. I just size all my 9mm bullets to .358" after pc'ing them anymore.

Typical range fodder/9bhn & pc'd bullets with 1 of my favorite plinking bullets.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Nothing more than a test target used to test that 1911/bullet combo pictured above. A 10-shot group @ 50ft.
    [IMG][/IMG]

What that 1911 looks like after a 500 round+ range session. The rifling's do look like they have gray in them.
    [IMG][/IMG]

It's actually nothing more than gunpowder residue/pc residue. No leading in that 1911 bbl pictured above from the 500 + round range session.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I wet patch and 1 dry patch later (hoppe's #9), no need for a berush and the bbl's clean.
    [IMG][/IMG]

If you had lead in your bbl you'd know it. PC ='s no leading when done correctly.

Forrest...you've gotta shooter there!

I wish my old Commander could see that group and get embarrassed enough to tighten it's old self up!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Pure range scrap will work with a few big buts.

It will go bang BUT unless you have a slower twist 9mm, (like Forrest) accuracy won't be there. The difference between range scrap and 1-4-95 alloy (half ww, half 2-6-92) is 6" groups at 25 vs 2.5" in two full size M&Ps I have here. 125-RF @ 1200 fps. However I used to have an SD9VE with 1 in 18.75" twist and it would shoot softer bullets around full power with accuracy.

Softer lead will work in a 9mm BUT you will need a loose resizing/ decapping die and/or a larger expander. Even using my 38 S&W expander on my 9mm dies, any soft bullet over 135 grains seats into a part of the case that is not expanded and gets squished undersize.

Once you are using larger expander dies, you HAVE TO now start using some type of wash n' wax product on your brass or your brass will stick HARD in your expander die.

Softer lead such as range scrap can be accurate in a 9mm with fast twist BUT you will have to run far reduced loads like barely minor or sub-minor. Basically 900-1000 fps. You won't see 1200 fps with a 125 and have good accuracy like is possible with lead hard enough to bite the rifling without skidding. With water dropped 1-4-95 alloy I am shooting the Lee 95-rf at 1450 fps in my 4.25" M&P with Power Pistol and getting sub 3" at 25 yards. You will NEVER see that with range scrap in a 10" twist 9mm.
    Last edited by mnewcomb59; 12-14-2017 at 10:05 AM.