RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 45ACP, 200 gr SWC, what powder?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    700x, cleaner than bullseye in my opinion
    Agreed. 700X in .32, .38, 9mm, 45 ACP.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Mold
    Hello: Best recipe for my Ballester Rigaud (Same pistol as Ballester Molina .45 ACP but different name.) has been PC’ed soft lead Lee 200gr SWC over 4.1gr Bullseye/COAL 31.7mm/Local Imaz LP primers. Hope it helps.
    Regards
    Francisco (From Argentina)

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I believe Bill Wilson tests his 1911's with 4.8 Bullseye under a 200gr H&G 68.
    1.250 C.O.A.L.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Divil View Post
    3.9 or 4.0gr of VV-310 under a H&G 68 type.
    Well, that makes two of us
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by franciscom View Post
    Hello: Best recipe for my Ballester Rigaud (Same pistol as Ballester Molina .45 ACP but different name.) has been PC’ed soft lead Lee 200gr SWC over 4.1gr Bullseye/COAL 31.7mm/Local Imaz LP primers. Hope it helps.
    Regards
    Francisco (From Argentina)

My Ballester Molina is featured in the pic for this thread. I want to thank your countrymen's ancestors for building it just for me! My everyday load for it is 5 grains of Bullseye under a 200 grain swc bullet.
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My Ballester Molina is featured in the pic for this thread. I want to thank your countrymen's ancestors for building it just for me! My everyday load for it is 5 grains of Bullseye under a 200 grain swc bullet.
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Thanks Thomas, nice to hear you are enjoying your Ballester Molina. I am very fond of it too. I will try your pet load. May be I get better results with it!
    Cheers,
    Francisco

4.6 to 4.7 WST, 200 grain lead, makes 825 FPS for me.
    good luck, garrisonjoe

Boolit Buddy
    Good evening.
    Well I have put a lot of H&G #68 boolits through my 45's over the years. I have used countless pounds of BE, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, WW 231, WST, Auto Comp, AA#5, #7 and silhouette. All tested in a Ransom rest for accuracy. During the shortage of powder a couple of years ago. One powder always available at decent pricing was TiteWad. It was half the price of 231 and about a third of BE. Bought a jug, pulled out the Ransom rest and proceeded to work up a load. I shoot shortline only now so I only worked up a load for that. 4.2grs BE with, 30WW/70Pb H&G#68, TL'd White Label 45/45/10, was my control. 1.46 inch average for 5 groups, 10 shots each group. Same boolits... TiteWad 3.3grs 1.53 inch average for 5 10 shot groups out of the Ransom rest. Went back and bought 20 pounds!! Have been shooting the same scores as I was before.
    Your results might be different than mine.....but I doubt it

Banned
    So to revive this thread, ...

200 Gr Saeco #69

4.8 grains of Bullseye

OR

5.2 grains of WW231 ????

Win 231 has always worked for me in my .45's, both revolver and auto: S&W M25, Colt SAA with .45 ACP cylinder fitted, 4 Colt 1911's, one a Gold Cup, a WWll Remington-Rand 1911a1, a pair of Ruger SR1911's in both lengths, a Sig P220 of W. German manuf., and a Sig 1911 RCS (4" bbl., alloy frame, and an Officer's Model grip length).

All of them perked with most any quality SWC that generally followed the H&G's #68 shape and backed by ~5.0-5.2 gr of Win 231. That combination will give me sub-2" gps at 25 yds on demand from a rested position and with 72 yo eyes doing the steering over open sights. Were I to bet the farm on a single shot at 25 yds, that would be the caliber and load I'd use.

When my two sons + families return to our KY farm each year for Christmas, we hold the annual family only KY farm pistol championships. We start at 15 yds, any position but not rested, and take a shot at a railroad tie plate (~8"x15"). One shot. If you miss, yer outta the game. We back up in 5 yd increments till a winner emerges. Last year, the game was concluded at the 70 yard line and I didn't win.

The above load is all we use...father and sons, by long use, and in the competitive spirit. PS: the winner is greeted by the adoring cheers of our women-folk, and we celebrate with "KY Fruit Juice" (Pappy Van-Winkle) if the supply is available!.

Guard your fort, Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 09-21-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Banned
    I like it !

Does anyone claim their bullet went through one of the holes in the tie plate ?

I've switched from 231 to Bullseye for most of my 38 Special loads so I have a lot of 231 on the shelf. If I can burn that surplus 231 in 45 ACP loads that will allow me to use it up.

By all means use the 231. Lots of posters recommended it and you have lots of it. Bullseye is still my favorite but I'm down to 50 rounds of the 300 I loaded with Red Dot a while back(because I had a lot of it) and it is a good load, too.

Banned
    I think I'm going to use up most of that 231 and then decide if I want to use Bullseye for both my 38 Special loads and my 45 ACP loads.
    I don't like to jump back and forth between powders but I'll never use up that 231 by only shooting it in 38 Special.

Thanks to all.

Boolit Buddy
    3.8 Grains of BE is a classic bullseye target load. 3.6 Grains of Clays is another of my favorite loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I think I'm going to use up most of that 231 and then decide if I want to use Bullseye for both my 38 Special loads and my 45 ACP loads.
    I don't like to jump back and forth between powders but I'll never use up that 231 by only shooting it in 38 Special.

Thanks to all.
    Sounds like a plan. I use almost any pistol powder in my 45acp 200 grain loads at one time or another. They all work well. The cartridge and boolit weight combination is very forgiving of changes.

Banned
    So........SAECO #069, about 10 BHn, NRA 50/50 lube, sized to .452", seated almost flush to the shoulder of the front driving band (about a fingernail width protruding above the case mouth), taper crimp, 5.2 Grains of ww231.

Haven't shot it on paper yet but it cycles the pistol, seems to shoot to the sights and hits the steel plates every time. I think this will be the load and I'll tweak the charge weight to get the smallest group - when this rain stops !
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 09-25-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Please let us know how it works out for you. Data from a success story is always useful.

Boolit Buddy
    I was getting the best accuracy from the MP 452-200 (HG #68 clone) and 4.6 grains Bullseye. I wasn't doing any scientific accuracy testing, unless you count resting my wrists on my knees while sitting in the back of my truck and shooting at 25 yards scientific. Every pistol caliber I load for has a load using Bullseye. I've got other powders, but I always seem to come back to that one, as I'm sure it will always work

Boolit Master

RedDot is cleaner than bullseye or 231,but ww231 is hard to beat in a 45acp
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Banned
    Well, not that we needed any more rain (11.5" for this month alone and 65.4" for the year) but we got another 1/4" this afternoon.

I did get to put about 100 rounds on steel targets and as far as I can tell - everything is in tune.
    100% reliability so far. Positive ejection of spent casings. Shoots point of aim. Not as hard recoiling as my 230gr FMJ loads but it "feels" right (for what that's worth).
    I still haven't been able to get this round on paper but everything is looking good.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast