MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 45ACP, 200 gr SWC, what powder?

5 grs Bullseye/200swc forever. My go to .45 ACP load.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a fair bit of Bullseye, but have been tinkering with 700X lately. It doesn't meter as nice as BE or Titegroup, or cold oatmeal for that matter, but it shoots nice and is *always* in stock at my local Cabela's.

Boolit Master

I think much of the change in charges comes from 2 things.

1, yeah, liability ALWAYS factors.

2, use of Pezo testing vs copper crush discs. Actually seeing the pressure curve, vs seeing the max effect on a deformed plug.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    ".......Published loading data has been downsized especially with pistol powders to leave a margin of error for progressive presses dumping charges that are not individually weighed ..."

Are you saying load data has become more conservative due to the abundance of progressive presses?

I find that to be a bit far fetched.
    Do a comparison of max loads from a 70's manual to something recently published. Many max loads are reduced apx 10%.

When I was shooting a large volume of .45 ACP for IPSC with 200 grain SWC cast bullets my go-to load was always with Winchester 231. I've likely tried 6 or more different powders behind the same 200 grain SWC bullets, but still can't beat my original W231 load. (My 1911 is a modestly reworked Series 70 Government with a Bar Sto match grade hard fit barrel.)
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    Do a comparison of max loads from a 70's manual to something recently published. Many max loads are reduced apx 10%.
    A good part of the reason(s) behind that is that the folks that publish loading manuals are pretty universally actually pressure-testing their data now. That wasn't necessarily so in days gone by. Liability is a huge factor in why they're pressure-testing now.

For example, I have a copy of Speer #8 on my bookshelf, and some of the loads published in it are downright frightening! There's one .38 Special load listed that would be a good mid-range .357 Magnum load!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Another powder to consider is WST. It gives the same results downrange as the other powders do and is slightly bulkier, making it easier to be certain you haven't mischarged the case.
    It also burns cleaner than some of the other powders mentioned, particularly if you like to use light practice loads.

Banned
    I agree the published data has trended downward in terms of charge weights. I'm not sure progressive presses have anything to do with that.

The change in pressure testing methods probably plays a big role.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    5 grs Bullseye/200swc forever. My go to .45 ACP load.
    Thank You

win. 231
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    win. 231
    That was the powder I used in the past. Bullseye seems to have quite the following.

Boolit Master
    With the H&G #068 or SAECO #069, I tried 231, WSL, 540, Titegroup, Power Pistol, 800X, AA#5, AA#7, Blue Dot, and Herco, maybe Unique and others I have forgotten. A few of these probably equaled the accuracy of 5 grs. Bullseye, but I don't think any beat it. For a strictly target load, a grain or so less Bullseye might be a little more accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    5 grains of Titegroup

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jakharath View Post
    5 grains of Titegroup
    I was beginning to think I was the only titegroup loader here. I love it in my wheelguns too.

Boolit Master

Dirty or not, I used B'eye and Lyman 452460s for years in my Gold Cup for paper punching. Later, when I got into steel shooting and bowling pins, I switched to AA#5 and an H&G 68 in my 'racegun'. Within my skill level, there's very little to choose from between the two.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Just one additional note: A 200 grain SWC bullet at full velocity (850 +- fps) make a wonderful all around load for the 1911 pistol. It will retain the accuracy of lighter target loads, yet deliver plenty of punch for field and social use.

I like about 4.8 grains of Bulleye, but friend Glen Fryxell thinks that 7.0 grains of Unique is the way to go. I have used Glen's load and it does indeed do very well, but some how, not using Bullseye seem irreligious or unholy.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Bullseye, Unique, TiteGroup are my 3 favorite in no particular order.

Motor

Used to use 231. but went back to the old school. Love bullseye for them.

Moderator Emeritus

In general with 45acp, my goto is Titegroup for J-words and Bullseye for cast.

With that said, I had a can of SR7625 sitting around for quite a while, I don't recall where I got it? I had no specific use for it, so it must have been a auction or gunshow find for a low price?

Anyway, last year, I loaded a batch of 200gr SWC in 45acp with the SR7625. I think it's my new favorite powder for that...Too Bad it's been discontinued
    I've been watching the gunshows for an old can ever since, maybe I'll find one someday?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I agree the published data has trended downward in terms of charge weights. I'm not sure progressive presses have anything to do with that.

The change in pressure testing methods probably plays a big role.
    The biggest loss in my mind were Frank Barnes' recommended loads in his Cartridges Of The World publication. A good portion of his data was simply guess work on obsolete ammo. I'm told but can't attest to the veracity. A 41 mag mis-print resulted in a lawsuit. The most recent COW publication I saw after Barnes passed didn't have any loading data.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast