Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 45ACP, 200 gr SWC, what powder?

Yes, I meant my wordplay that I reused from nother forum. I first heard the BM referred to that way a couple of years ago and although not PC- it is funny (as long as you're not a ballerina)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I wasn't familiar with the name, Ballester-Molina, and didn't know what you were referring to. After a little research, I understand.

BE 86 works well under a 200gr. Lee SWC , HG68 style. so does Titegroup
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

For a nice, soft shooting, and very accurate load with a 200 grain boolit, I use 4.0 grains of either WST, Bullseye, or Titegroup. They all give the same accuracy and impact point in my Springfield Mil-Spec.
    They all work the action reliably for me.
    I just shot some of the WST and Bullseye loads this afternoon.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I agree with 700X. It works for me, and because I got a 12 pound keg left over from competition shotgunning days. I may not live long enough to burn it up, lol! Good luck whatever you decide.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    Back when I was searching for the best loads in my 1911s, I tested them in a Ransom Rest. The one load that stood out above all others being the most accurate was the 5.0gr load of BE with any SWC 185 to 200gr cast bullet and having light recoil. I now load this charge behind the Lee SWC 200gr TL bullet. My bullets, lubed and sized to .452" are 188gr. with linotype. /Chris

Boolit Grand Master

When I shot IPSC I loaded 5.3 Red Dot behind a 200 gr. boolit. For PPC I used 3.7 Red Dot behind a SAECO 148 gr. WC.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

I used to shoot competitive bullseye and ppc and spent MANY hours working up loads for my 1911s. Found that 3.5-4.2 grains of bullseye (depending on the gun) works better then any other powder ive tried. Now if you looking for top end velocity something like 231 might be better for for dead nuts accuracy its bullseye all the way for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    All the time, everytime and any time the powder for the 45 ACP is Bulleye. This was the original powder used in the round and countless billions of arsenal and commercial ammo makers have been loaded with it.

I use to shoot a lot of trap and skeet so I had many different powders to try when I got into loading for the 45 ACP.
    I have a couple of jugs of the original Accurate Nitro 100 powder and find any load from 3.0 to 4.8 grs. under a 200 gr. cast bullet shoots great for me.
    But really most all powders that work for 12 ga. target loads will work well in the 45.

Jedman

I have used every powder anyone else listed above. Clays/ Clay Dot is my current choice, as is the 3.9 charge weight. Powder type is important, but the other factors like good clean cases, consistent bullet and primer seating, consistent boolit weight and what you had for dinner seem to make more difference in the big scheme of things.
    NRA Instructor
    Basic Pistol
    Personal Protection Inside the Home
    Personal Protection Outside the Home
    Chief RSO
    Metallic Reloading

Missouri #4 FNRP with the powder coating ... Hardness is about 12...5 grains of 231 in my CZ 97...nothing has matched it so I don't change...

Boolit Master
    Unique 5.7grs its been my pet load for years.

Boolit Buddy
    WW 231 is my favorite 45ACP powder. 5.3 grains with an OAL of 1.250 gets the job done every time in all my 1911’s...

Boolit Master

200 grain # 68
    3.5/ 4.7 tite group or B/E end of story.
    For the light# loads of 3.5 you may have to
    under spring the gun to maybe a 15# recoil spring (maybe)
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Another vote for Winchester 231...5.2 is my load with the great old H&G 68, seated to allow just the barest band of lead to show at the shoulder...this cushions in my opinion, the rounds cambering as it advances into the chamber. Accuracy with a good barrel and good eyes all the gun is capable. Rod

Boolit Buddy

3.9 or 4.0gr of VV-310 under a H&G 68 type.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I'm a fan of the AA powders .... I like both AA#5 and AA#7 for the .45 acp, depending on the application.

jd
    Daniel - I've heard that Titegroup burns a bit too hot with cast boolits. What's your opinion on that?

Boolit Master

i use titegroup exclusively on my 38/357/45acp, can't say that I've had any problem with leading on cast plain base boolits. I have recovered some from berms for re-melt, none exhibited melted out bases, grooves on driving bands were good and not smeared. bhn was about 10, to perhaps 12 on some magnum batches.

I use Titegroup in 38, 9mm, and 45acp. In longer strings of fairly rapid fire, the gun barrel heats up faster. It doesn't seem to have any effect on boolits, accuracy, or leading.
    I like it because it is cheaper per shot and flows perfectly through my powder measure.

Boolit Bub
    3.5 gr. of Bullseye for plinking. It has worked in everything I've tried to feed it too.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast