MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 45ACP, 200 gr SWC, what powder?

Boolit Master

I’ve been using 4grs of Promo/Red dot under a H&G 68 clone for years now and see no reason to change.

Boolit Grand Master

200gr is my boolit of choice and I put it over 4.6gr Promo.

I've tried a bunch of powders like everyone here: Promo, Unique, Titegroup, Universal, Bullseye, 231, Vectan GM3 but nothing seems better than the Promo although the new IMR Target is pretty darn clean and meters well.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Use 231 or HP-38

Boolit Master

OK so I took a few minutes to tally up the votes/recommendations (so far) here as follows:

231...…………...35 votes
    TiteGroup……..15 votes
    Bullseye...…….36 votes
    Clays...………...6 votes
    Green Dot...….2 votes
    Unique...……….14 votes
    HP38...………….10 votes

May have missed a couple powders. Given HP38 & 231 are really the same powder then it rules at 45!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    OK so I took a few minutes to tally up the votes/recommendations (so far) here as follows:

231...…………...35 votes
    TiteGroup……..15 votes
    Bullseye...…….36 votes
    Clays...………...6 votes
    Green Dot...….2 votes
    Unique...……….14 votes
    HP38...………….10 votes

May have missed a couple powders. Given HP38 & 231 are really the same powder then it rules at 45!
    Thank You for doing that !

It does seem to come down to WW231 [HP-38] or Bullseye.

231 appears to be a good powder for 45 ACP and there's a lot of support for Bullseye as well. My guess is they are both excellent powders for 200 grain 45 ACP cartridges.

I have 4 loads for 38 Special (2 SWC and 2 WC); three of them use Bullseye and the 4th uses ww231. So right now I keep Bullseye and 231 on hand.

I am a big proponent of simple logistics and if I could use Bullseye for ALL of my 38 Special loads and my 45 ACP loads - that would be great!

I have 231 on the shelf that I would like to use up. Maybe I could eventually drop that one 38 Special load that I use 231 for and switch both the 38 Special & 45 ACP cartridges to Bullseye. We'll see. I'll tweak the 231 load to find the smallest group and then I'll do a side by side comparison with Bullseye.

In the meantime, 5.2 grains of 231 is doing a great job in the 200 grain SWC 45 ACP load.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Thank You for doing that !

It does seem to come down to WW231 [HP-38] or Bullseye.

231 appears to be a good powder for 45 ACP and there's a lot of support for Bullseye as well. My guess is they are both excellent powders for 200 grain 45 ACP cartridges.

I have 4 loads for 38 Special (2 SWC and 2 WC); three of them use Bullseye and the 4th uses ww231. So right now I keep Bullseye and 231 on hand.

I am a big proponent of simple logistics and if I could use Bullseye for ALL of my 38 Special loads and my 45 ACP loads - that would be great!

I have 231 on the shelf that I would like to use up. Maybe I could eventually drop that one 38 Special load that I use 231 for and switch both the 38 Special & 45 ACP cartridges to Bullseye. We'll see. I'll tweak the 231 load to find the smallest group and then I'll do a side by side comparison with Bullseye.

In the meantime, 5.2 grains of 231 is doing a great job in the 200 grain SWC 45 ACP load.
    No problem! I know im OCD lol

5.2 is the magic number in my Ruger P90. Seems to work across the board but every gun is different. Think I'm gonna try some bullseye just to see what it does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Personally, I prefer WST for 45ACP 200 grain boolits. Granted, I am not running full power loads. I am using 4.2 grains for a light target load and it works fine in all my 45ACP pistols.
    WST seems to burn very clean and has a different small than Bullseye.
    That said, Bullseye is every bit as accurate as WST in a similar load.
    I have not yet tried 231/hp38 in 45SCP yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Longtime user of Bullseye. Have to agree with Tazman. Tried WST a couple of years ago. At that time I was using a Ransom Rest. 4.2 grains of WST with a Winchester LP Primer was the winner loaded behind one of M&P’s 200 grain HP. Taper crimped to .469. Shot this load in a 1911 and a Ruger Bisley with the 45 ACP cylinder. Groups were shot at 50 yards and were repeated on successive days. WST meters well and is very clean.
    Rick

A short addendum to my previous post. The boolits used were H&G 68 clone and Lyman 452460 cast from range scrap and water dropped from the mold,more for convenience than the extra hardness since this load doesn't need it. Boolits were sized to .452.
    I have used both White Label NRA 50-50 in my 4500 lubrisizer and White Label X-lox tumble lube. Both gave outstanding results.

Unique 5.5gr.

Boolit Buddy
    Another WST user. I shoot 4.7 grains behind a HG 68 clone and it's very accurate in my 3, 45s.

Petrol & Powder---- Have you had a chance to do any further testing with your load combination?

Boolit Grand Master

Really?

6 pages of posts on what powder to use in the 45 ACP under a 200 gr SWC......goes to show what a wonderfully versatile cartridge John Moses Browning came up with.......

I still prefer 5 gr Bullseye........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Really?

6 pages of posts on what powder to use in the 45 ACP under a 200 gr SWC......goes to show what a wonderfully versatile cartridge John Moses Browning came up with.......

I still prefer 5 gr Bullseye........
    Amen. I'll use something else when something works better for me. Bullseye is THE .45ACP powder yesterday, today, and tomorrow for me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Again late to the party.

Many swear by WW231 or HP-38 and I do as well in my 9mm's, the 45acp not so much. Tried shooting this in both a 4" XD MOD2 and a Large frame Witness and when firing indoors both the wife and I notice a large amount of muzzle flash which we find distracting. So we have been using Ramshot Silhouette in the 45acp with fine results and when shooting indoors we do notice less smoke in the room.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm going to be the "odd man out" here. I just wanted to give CFE Pistol a try due to seeing it on a friends bench. He gave me several tablespoonfuls of it and I gave it a whirl. . .it did well in my Gold Cup National Match, so I bought a pound. After a little experimenting I settled on 7.5 grains of the CFE Pistol under a Lee 452-200-RF. This boolit is of 50/50 COWW/SOWW H2O quenched (not that it is needed, I just do) and sized to .452 then lubed with Ben's Red (I have switched everything over to Ben's Red!) and these weigh-out to 214gr. average. I shoot this load in three 45ACP pistols; Colt Gold Cup National Match, Springfield Long Slide V-16 and a Springfield XD Mod 2 Subcompact. The Colt is my fun-gun, pure target perfection! The V-16 is duel purpose hunting/target, numerous hogs and a few deer have fallen to this pistol. The XD Subcompact is my carry gun, with 10 rounds of this wide meplat bullet sailing along at 915 FPS, I don't think any two-legged varmint could withstand a dose of it. I may have just gotten lucky for this load combination to work out perfectly in all three .45's, but I must say I'm REAL happy it worked out that way. Awesome accuracy, great velocity, meters fantastic and clean burning. . .couldn't ask for more.

Just for the record though. . .W231 and Silhouette were my GO-TO powers for a long time! ! !

231 has been my powder for years, even decades. when it's gone, though, WST is the new 45 auto powder for 200-230 grain boolits.

Boolit Mold
    Been using 4.5 grains of WST in my 1911's for last couple of years and really like it.
    Accurate enough and burns clean.

Banned
    Update, I did get a chance to put some more rounds down range and everything seems right.

5.2 Grains of ww231 behind a SAECO #069 sized to .452" . I locked everything down and I'll shoot that for a while. I still haven't had a chance to put that on paper (life happened coupled with a long stretch of bad weather) but I can see the hits on the steel and it's all good.

When I get a chance I'll put these on paper and decide if I want to try some rounds with Bullseye.

Banned

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast