WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 17hmr reloadable alternatives?

Boolit Bub

17hmr reloadable alternatives?

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but here it goes.
    What would be the best alternative to a reloadable version of 17hmr? Looking for an accurate round capable of taking squirrels at 100-150 yards. So I am looking for a small cartridge that is flat shooting. Considering the 22 hornet but making sure I am not overlooking anything else. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I believe there is a .17 Hornet, but not a factory round?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

.17 Hornet is a commercial load, made by the major ammo makers but as hard to find as any other in these crazy times.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/17-h...mmo-c-976.aspx

Boolit Master
    .17 Hornet is a standardized SAAMI factory round, .17 Fireball based on the .221 Fireball is also standardized SAAMI factory round, .17 Bee is a very old wildcat, there are a few .19 and .20 cal wildcats that are smaller capacity, .221 Fireball is a possibility, with work the 17 and 221 Fireball's can be formed from .223/5.56. There is a 22 TCM, 9mm necked down to 22 - sort of - that is reloadable and very close to the 22 WRM rimfire, Rock Island makes a rifle for it. A .20 Practical is a simple 20/223 wildcat and may make finding bullets and cases easier. Depends whether you are looking for a wildcat or a standardized cartridge.

Boolit Bub
    There's also a 17 and 19 calhoon

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

If you are looking for a round that is a wildcat and is not commercialy loaded but close to the 17HMR.
    The 17 CCM is the closes. It is based of the 22 Cooper Center fire Magnum (22 CCM) which is basically a center fire 22 Mag. So the 17 CCM is basically a center fire 17HMR. This cartridge is doable but the brass is less common and dies are on the costly side but then most wildcat dies are.
    I crow and groundhog hunt with a small 17 called the 17 Squirrel. It is based off of 22 Hornet brass shortened down to under an inch .985 if I recall correctly. I have been shooting this round out of a 13" Contender barrel for a little over a year now and absolutely love it. 9 grains of powder and the 20gr Vmax's from a pistol are claimed to get 2,700 fps but I don't have a chronograph to back this up.
    Google some info on the 17 Squirrel I think you would like it. I shoot dimes at 65 yards with my pistol off sand bags of course on my back yard range to impress my friends. I can't squirrel hunt in my state with it ( rim fire only) or I would be doing a lot more squirrel hunting than I do now.

Like mentioned above the cheapest alternative to the 17 HMR would be 17 Hornady Hornet. I like unusual and I'm an oddball that likes case forming as another past time to reloading.

Good luck.
    Mike

Boolit Master
    Retired fellas! The 17 Hornet is entertaining. Some of the Hornady brass has primer pockets that are a bear.

It has substainially more fps, varmint destruction will confirm this.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Man

I run a 14" MGM contender barrel in 17 Hornady Hornet. It is fantastic, but I haven't used any cast bullets in it. The 20 grain VMAX or, even better, the 20 grain Varmageddons (both tipped and HP) are amazing on fur and flesh. The speeds are chrono'd at 3450-3500 near the muzzle. I use it to about 250 yds. The WY winds can play havoc on these tiny little freedom seeds, but that's why we have more than one gun, right?
    The Contender barrel will shoot 5 in 5/8" at 100 yards in the calm. I don't use it much if the day is windy. And the thin jackets upset readily, so no ricochets from the Varmageddons. And, the Varmag doesn't have the thick base like a Ballistic Tip, so when they upset, they seem to vaporize. Nice for certain circumstances and fantastic in little furry or feathered critters.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Bub
    I need to look up that 17 squirrel. It seems like I might end up with more than one if these. So no go on the 22 hornet? I was leaning that way due to it being an easy route and seems like it casting is an option

Boolit Buddy

What are you using the 17HMR in?

I have really gotten hooked on the 17's in the last few years. I have a 17HMR Handi Rifle and it's the best shooting Handi I've ever had. My Contender line up includes the 17 mach 2 in both pistol and carbine barrels, 17 Squirrel pistol, 17 Hornet pistol, and 17 Ackley Bee carbine.

Boolit Bub
    I am currently using a cz 457. I use a Remington 541in 22lr with subsonics when the leaves are on.

Boolit Bub

17hmr reloadable alternatives?

There’s also the 17 Bumble Bee
    A 218 bee shortened and necked down to 17 cal.
    I rechambered a handi Rifle to shoot it.
    It has to be done starting out with a 17 mach2 Barrel. Using a reamer to cut the BB chamber then put the barrel on a center fire receiver
    Using a hmr barrel doesn’t clean up the old chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Trophy Tom; 02-12-2021 at 07:07 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Lots of 17 information over on Saubiers small caliber forum.

I have a 17 hornet and use noe cast 172-26 or 172-32's at 22 velocities castin g and loadung those little rice grains is a challenge. A box of new brass will run $35.00 for 50 if you can find them. Hornday is most common brass and hard to find when everything is plentiful. Factory 25 gr vmax 20 rounds $32.00 it's not cheap. Even when you have the brass it still runs about 30¢ for j word reloads. Then you have to find a gun. I have a CZ527 varmint. But it do kill coyotes and turns ground rats in a pile of red meat when shooting full house jacketed loads.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Looking for an accurate round capable of taking squirrels at 100-150 yards.
    Squirrels at 100+ yards? Ground squirrels out west, gophers...woodchucks...but tree squirrels? For the ground variety I'd say a .22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222, 223; any of these downloaded to .22 LR velocities with cast bullets would do, or better yet, an accurate .22 LR! A .17 cal. rifle is not going to have much in the way molds for cast bullets.

A jacketed bullet from any center-fire, at higher velocity, is just going to explode tree squirrels, not much left for the cook pot.

I am currently using a cz 457. I use a Remington 541in 22lr with subsonics when the leaves are on.
    I'd say you're pretty well equipped now without the headache of finding: primers, brass, molds, sizing dies, &/or jacketed bullets.

Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 02-12-2021 at 08:26 AM.
    Rod

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodfac View Post
    Squirrels at 100+ yards? Ground squirrels out west, gophers...woodchucks...but tree squirrels? For the ground variety I'd say a .22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222, 223; any of these downloaded to .22 LR velocities with cast bullets would do, or better yet, an accurate .22 LR! A .17 cal. rifle is not going to have much in the way molds for cast bullets.

A jacketed bullet from any center-fire, at higher velocity, is just going to explode tree squirrels, not much left for the cook pot.

I'd say you're pretty well equipped now without the headache of finding: primers, brass, molds, sizing dies, &/or jacketed bullets.

Rod
    I was wondering about him finding brass for a new caliber as well. Not too bad if based on a common cartridge. Building a unique rifle to harvest tree rats does not make a lot of sense but I understand it is more about fun.

Anyway, if I had to do it, I would try a FMJ .224 bullet in a .223. I have never shot one at game so no idea how much meat will be wasted. I already have a handful of .223's so the cost to try it would be minimal and a few hits would tell the story. Maybe load it down to 2200-2500 fps. But I also live in a very remote area with minimal concerns about ricochets. The other option is to go with a bullet in the 60-70 gr typically used for deer at lower velocity. They will not "blow up" on a squirrel, but will expand if they hit a rock etc.

I have never been a fan of wildcat or specialty cartridges. Lots of $$$ for little gain IMO.

I know using something like a .22 Hornet saves on powder but a few grains more powder is cheaper than a new gun and scope...and .223 brass is half the cost and lasts longer. Everyone should have at least one .223...LOL. BTW, had a .22 Hornet and sold it after a year.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    The thought of building a new rifle sounds good until I started adding it up. Way too much much invested for this guy. I thought about a 223 but the only rifle I have is a heavy varmint rifle. Any issues with lots of extra case space when doing reduced loads in a 223?