WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Powder Age and Source for New BP

Boolit Bub

Black Powder Age and Source for New BP

Howdy and Happy Holidays!

I have a supply of 4F, 3F, and 2F black powder from about 1985. All these years, it has been kept cool, dry, sealed, and in a dark, dry storage area. I have a need to use some of it in a flintlock that needs exercise. As of today, I have NOT opened the lids and sniffed or observed the powder to see if there might be anything weird going on.

Question: Would you scrap this powder because of the age or try using a bit to see how it does?

2nd Question: where is a source for black powder near me in Marion (McDowell County) NC? (* Am assuming this stuff is impossible to order through the mail?)

3rd and Last: is it possible for black powder this age to become so unstable that it would ignite inside the original metal containers? IF so, I could be in trouble. There are about 40,000 primers and some 100 pounds of smokeless powder stored on the same shelves as the BP.

Thanks to all and MERRY CHRISTMAS !!! Bo in NC
    Last edited by bocash3; 12-12-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    As long as it is sealed, black powder is practically indestructible. With smokeless - sealed and cool - the problem often isn't as bad as some suppose, but smell will give it away. All that can happen with black is that atmospheric dampness will alter the grain structure, to finer dust or a solid cake. Dry it out, and it will still be good black powder with a different granulation.

Boolit Master
    If it has sat as described, your BP should be fine. It's certainly worth trying out. First, open and see what you've got. If it's dry and still powder - hasn't turned to cake - then check to make sure that the flake size is still consistent with the label - very fine for 4F and much larger flakes for 2F. If so, should shoot. If it has caked, in my opinion, it is not worth trying to recondition.

Suggest Powder Inc. for future purchases. Very few brick and mortar shops still stock genuine black powder and the substitute stuff is nasty.

Boolit Master
    Black powder does not become unstable with age. It will be fine regardless of how old it is, as long as it has been kept dry.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

Age doesn't effect blackpowder even if it gets wet once dried it is good as new. BP is much more stable than smokeless.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-22-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Boolit Master

buffalo arms is the cheepest place I have found to order black powder, you can get 25 pounds under one hazmat fee so ordering the max gives the best value but they will ship just one pound if that is what you want.

Boolit Master

I asked the same question about black powder of an old guy who shot and used it all his life, his answer was:
    Pour about 60 grn on a single sheet of typing paper spread it around and look for any unusual color. If none is present sniff it for unusual odor, if there is none you're ready for the final test.
    He said, Now, light a match and touch it to the powder, if it burns the hairs off your hand and sets the paper afire there's nothing wrong with the powder.

Although I did not do it, I figured it might be worth trying if I ever had any real doubts.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    If you decide to light some powder with a match, use a very small amount of powder and a long match. If you try a teaspoon of powder and a regular match then be prepared for a 3rd degree burn on the fingers holding the match

Chris.

Chris that sounds like a word of experience

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Your 1985 Blackpowder will be fine real blackpowder will not deteriorate like smokeless or the substitute black powder does.
    For your new powder needs, Powder Inc, Grafs, and Buffalo Arms are the best places to order a sample of all the major brands, or even a case.
    Bear River Powder in Evanston Wy, is a good place to get Goex and Olde Eynsford.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Chris that sounds like a word of experience
    Ha! I actually haven't burned my fingers with black powder, but I did light off a small amount once to see how quickly it burned. I put it in the center of a piece of paper and lit the paper. I'm sure you've seen it or done it before, but it pretty much disappears in a cloud of smoke and fire within a tenth of a second. It was surprising compared to loose smokeless.

Chris.

Boolit Bub
    Here is a video showing burning black powder and smokeless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTAKr3Y2EV0

Boolit Master
    Yeah, it's definitely too old if it's beyond the expiration date on the can. . . . But you can send it to me. I have special equipment for it's, uh, disposal, made by CVA. . .

Boolit Bub
    THANKS to all that replied. I feel much better about stoking up with that 30-year old powder. I know it has been stored under the best conditions and should be fine.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!! ..............and take care, Bo in western NC

Bo, if you travel up 81 and wind up in Winchester you can make an appointment at Back Creek Gun Shop for powder. http://www.blackpowderva.com/

But what you have, being kept as you described, is still plenty good.

Boolit Bub
    THANKS, Toymaker! May end up near there next summer.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Bo

Banned

bp is good forever, and here's why it's considered an explosive whilst that white devil stuff ain't ...

Boolit Master

I was given the oppertunity to use some I think 1864 black powder, the clay targets I shot at broke
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbub View Post
    Yeah, it's definitely too old if it's beyond the expiration date on the can. . . . But you can send it to me. I have special equipment for it's, uh, disposal, made by CVA. . .
    I expected to see this answer in the first reply, not #13.

Boolit Master
    I'll agree that it will be just as good as the day it was made. However, it may not be all that great. Powder seems to have gotten MUCH better in the last 10 yrs or so. Particularly the advent of Swiss powder, but some of the others have worked hard to keep pace. So, while it is certainly safe to shoot, if you don't get the desired accuracy pretty quickly, I'd not waste much more time on it before moving on to new powder.

Just a different perspective on your situation...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast