Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your boolits?

Boolit Master

Unsized and unlubed, ill store in jars, cans or boxes all akimbo. Once lived and sized, I stack them as I mentioned before in boxes... Especially carefull with the grease groove ones to not bust the lube out.

Boolit Grand Master
    After there lubed and sized, I store them in the CCI 22 cal plastic boxes.
    Easy to stack. Label on the side. Keeps the dust out.
    Fresh boolets are stored in a square cat food bottle.

The plastic 4 lb Domino Sugar containers are a perfect boolit storage container. It's just the right size, any bigger and it'd be too heavy when full.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dom2652_gran sugar canister_4lb_web_150x200.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	360.2 KB 
ID:	209435

Boolit Master
    If you size them , you may want to do that soon after casting before they age harden . But if using as cast with tumble lube anything goes . Have a good pile ready to load already lubed isn't a bad idea , with a larger container full of as cast .

Banned
    Coffee cans until sized. Once sized they are stored in plastic tubes ready to be inverted and installed on the bullet dropper on the 650.

Boolit Master

You can get 1g coffee ground containers similar to those sugar containers.

Boolit Buddy
    Plastic peanut butter containers, un-sized, un-lubed.

Boolit Grand Master
    I store them lubed and sized. When I need ammunition I do not want to have to lube and size bullets. Any container that works for you is fine. Here are my thoughts.

I have boxes saved from buying commercial bullets and they work OK.

I will likely buy these...at 50 cents each delivered. They look similar to bullet boxes used by some of the manufacturers. BTW, If you drop a cardboard box of bullets it does not shatter and throw bullets all over hell's half acre. They offer different sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/Aviditi-Corru...s%2B4x4x5&th=1

I prefer not to have all sorts of different containers that may not stack well. Plastic bags are a pain when they break...and they will. If you go that way, put the bullets in a USPS Tyvek envelop first or just use the Tyvek...it is free.

A lot depends on how many you want to store. I currently have about 30k cast bullets and I have never had less than 10k in the last 15 years. I thought about using the .30 cal ammo cans as they are about the perfect size but at $6-10 each a bit costly for the amount of bullets I keep on hand.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

I store them so the container is air tight. Peanut butter jars, plastic zip licks, etc. I include date, bullet number, alloy and lube used. I used to think I could remember stuff but past practices have taught me.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Unsized/lubed: 2# plastic coffee containers, Sized/lubed: plastic .38/9mm ammunition trays scrounged from the range (I've got a couple hundred of these), PC'd/sized: Ziploc freezer tubs.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I keep maybe 100 of my most often used cast, lubed with BLL, ready to load in cheap plastic food storage boxes.

But most of mine are either holding as COWW ingots, range scrap ingots, or loaded ammo in 100 round MTM boxes.

And there are some odds and ends in everything from supplement bottles, pill vials, to tupperware.
    And yeah a few peanut butter jars. Bigger jars tend to gather brass around my shop. Coffee can's and such.

I started out using 48 oz coffee cans (plastic) Because that is what I had, but I have been switching to Costco nut jars (plastic) because they are clear and the label peels off clean, and when one is full of boolits it is about all I want to deal with. I try to have at least 1 full of each caliber that I shoot. 45, 309 and 9mm. As for storing my 224 lead boolits I use glass 1 qt pickle jars. and keep them about 1/2 to 2/3 full . Because of the clear receptacles I can gauge when it is time to cast again.

As for loaded ammo, I keep them in zipper lock quart bags of 100 each with all of the data written on them. When I get ready to go to the range I can load up accordingly.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Many years ago my father-in-law made a wooden "cabinet" to hold Drawers for bullets The drawers measure about five inches square and ten inches deep . In the "cabinet" they are stacked seven high by three wide . It's all made of three quarter inch plywood , dadoo joints , glue and finish nails where needed . I use it for cast and inspected bullets and it's only failing is the dungeon where I have it at . After several years down there the bullets depending on alloy may start to oxidize . Though I think a very thin film of any of the liquid lubes would halt that if I employed it .

Sized and lubed bullets get layered into old cigar boxes and don't normally wait for years to get loaded and shot .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I have noticed that cast bullets either lubed or unlubed seem to turn dark gray more slowly in sealed containers compared to ones open to the air.

So lately everything is getting lubed and locked down.

Sized and Lubed in sandwish boxes from Dollar Store, large peanut butter jars, plastic bags if not lubed. When I get a layer in the boxes I place cardboard between layers.

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Master
    Coffee cans from both home and work, just grabbed these from the break room.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I store mine in zip lock bags of around a 100 or so with date on them cast.
    I will size and store them lubed in those 100 rd 22lr bullet trays if I can find them.
    I made cardboard boxes up for some of my bullets which hold 25 lubed bullets and labeled.
    I use them now for breach seating at the range or reloading fixed ammo there.

I have a couple of 100 rd pistol cases I store bullets in I got cheap.
    I like the idea

I'm going to those clip sealed food containers from the supermarkets stacked up in rows I think.

I spend enough time casting my bullets as best I can and to ding them up loose in bags or containers is not a smart idea.

Dohhh

Large quantities go in coffee cans (plastic), 100 or less go in re labeled jacketed bullet boxes, sometimes zip lock bags. All those go in a file cabinet drawer labeled "Bullets".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Attachment 209545

Packet for Holiday giving.

I store my unsize and lube ones in a Marshmellow fluff container and then for the ones that are lube and size i been usen the containers that my brother gets his sweetner in that have a flip top on them beside the screw on lid. That way if i do not need many I just flip the lid open and take what I need.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast