Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: S&W .455 hand ejector rechambered to .45 Colt ?

Boolit Buddy

S&W .455 hand ejector rechambered to .45 Colt ?

Any of you guys had any luck in the accuracy dept with this conversion ?

Boolit Master
    Actually yes, I ended up having the best luck with 280grain+ bullets in mine, but I only ever shot it at paper at 25 yards. I also shot a lot of steel with it at 25-50 yards and it did very well.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I used a Lee 255gr flatnose swc that I " Beagled" to drop boolits at .456 and then lubed them with my .458 die I use for my 45-70. They shoot to point of aim and are fun to shoot. My S&W Hand ejector has 1.000 inch long chambers so I trimmed some 45 Scovill brass to .990 and thinned the rims using a drill press and a file with a safe edge ground on it. PITA but 100 cases will last me a life time. ".455 Webley" was kind enough to send me a copy Ken Water's article on the 455 and it was very helpful. I won't say what my loads are because I don't know how they would work in shorter cases. I keep them mild though. Just wish I could see the sights better. I'm sure the gun shoots better then I do. It has British proof marks from WW1.

Oops. I didn't notice that it was converted to 45 Colt. My bad. Although with the longer cases mine is closer to a 45 Scovill then a .455 Webly. I think the important part is to get boolits that fit the cylinder
    throats. Mine were .456

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my Webley MkVI I'm using the Accurate 45-262H bullet, with 3.5 grains of Bullseye in the .455 Mk1, 4 grains in .45 Schofield brass and 6.5 grains of Bullseye in the .45 Colt, for guns having a long enough cylinder to handle its 1.68" OAL in .45 Colt brass. Its .402" long nose probably won't fit in your rechambered Colt using .45 Colt brass, but it is dandy in Schofield brass.

Attachment 209399

Attachment 209400
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the help fellas !
    Outpost75 , a question if I might , are you pouring that bullet or is it store bought ?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by umwminer View Post
    Thanks for the help fellas !
    Outpost75 , a question if I might , are you pouring that bullet or is it store bought ?
    My design. Tom Ellis at Accurate Molds made the mold for me.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/order.php
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a S&W Hand Ejector .455 that came in from Canada back in the 1980's which is unconverted. I had to make .455 MKII brass from .45 Schofield. I have been using a copy of the original .455 bullet in that revolver. I pour my own from a four cavity MP mold. I have a Colt New Service Revolver that was .455 Eley that has been converted to .45 Colt. The conversion was done right with chambers counter bored for the rims so I can use the .455 MKII rounds in the revolver. Both revolvers like the larger .455 and larger bullets. In the Colt I have recently started experimenting with a .45 Cowboy special load using the .455 MKII bullets.

-fjruple