MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The ones that got away.

Moderator Emeritus

Oh, my list is a long list, as I am a bit of a horse trader in all my hobbies and/or necessities of life. Always looking to find a better thing.

BUT, the one I regret the most, is a Ruger 77/22 in 22LR, I bought it new, and I used it in League shooting. It had an action job to make the trigger as crisp and clean as any I've ever pulled...which says a lot for a Ruger. Now the model 77/22 (in general) had issues with the two piece bolt...My rifle must have been one, that had those two pieces mated perfectly[the main issue with them], as the gun could just plain shoot. The operator[me] was surely the weakest link in all my league shooting, when I used that rifle. A couple years after I quit shooting league, I brought the gun (with scope removed) to the one local gunshow I work at, and put it on the table with a stupid high price...a fellow competitor seen it (he was also a vendor at this gunshow), and we started haggling over the long weekend. I bet he fawned over it and talked to me about it 20 times during that show.

I left that show and went home with a pocket full of Benjamins and he went home with my rifle

Edited: Oh yeah, I forgot. I also had a Ruger Number 1 in 223rem. I owned it [and also sold it] in the early 1990s, before I started reloading, so it only got factory ammo. With Hornady varmint ammo, it was crazy accurate, and this was long before I honed my benchrest techniques in League, I recall one time at the range, a grasshopper just happened to jump onto my target (100 yard berm)..Boom, one shot, I should have saved that splattered target.

Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 12-12-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added the Number one
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

You would have to bring that up . . .. Not too many have gotten away since that one though
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepguy242 View Post
    Jessica. Broke my heart in two

30 years and I’m still not over her
    Had one like that myself.
    She was a neighbor, my sister's best friend, and the magical summer we were both 14 we found ourselves in love like only youth can be.

She was my first love, and sweeter than maple syrup on ice cream. I'm not ashamed to say that a kiss from her would make my head swim like I'd had too much whiskey.

Sadly for us, her father took a job in another state. Our romance was over almost before it began. She moved away with her family and was lost to me - apparently forever. I've looked online from time to time but never found any reference to her or her family. I hope she married well, had many children and grandchildren, and lived a life filled with happiness.

It's been over 40 years since I last saw her. I've been blessed in my own life and known much happiness, but I still think of her sometimes. I wonder sometimes how her life turned out, and if she ever thinks of me.

Uncle R.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    The one I really regret letting slip through my fingers was an original Winchester Model 97 pump "trench gun" complete with the bayonet. My wife and I had just gotten married, were both going to college and money was beyond being tight. I ws driving on my way to apply for a job - which were short - and I saw a garage sale. I stopped in to look and the woman was selling her deceased husband's things. In the corner of the garage the Winchester was leaned against the wall - she had a $25 tag on it. I knew immediately what it was but just didn't have ANY spare cash to purchase it. This was back in the days when gas was 30 to 35 cents a gallon. I often wondered what happened to that Winchester but i managed to survive all these years without having it. LOL

Boolit Master

browning 20 ga superposed pigeon grade
    This is the worst all time castboolits thread ever.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Hogtamer, Im using others misjudgment to help me cope with mine!

I had a near mint winchester 9422 in 22lr about.... 2004 or so. It let 2 in when it cycled and I sent it back to winchester. It returned with the same problem, and I traded it and a single six for one of several marlin 1894c's i've had. Dumb... Coulda sent the winchester to someone and had it fixed for 100 or less I bet. Once I traded a blackhawk in 357 for a cheap mossberg 12 gauge.... why i dont know.

I had an apache nylon 66 for a while, unfired with the sticker. I bought it off an old man that Im friends with and was sure it was unfired. I kept it unfired for about 2 weeks or so and then fired it. It jammed, letting 2 in again. I shoulda had it fixed and kept it... I traded it for nothing to another friend.

Interesting things others have traded off or let pass.

~Bazoo

870 Wingmaster 12ga that belonged to my father.....it was the gun I learned to shoot, and the one I hunted everything with. Had the slug barrel as well with the old-school weaver quik-point on it. Went to the gun cabinet one day to fetch it and go shoot some squirrels...it was gone. Apparently the family car needed some tires, so dad sold it. I could still choke him....and someday might. I had cash in the bank....but the hard-headed SOB sold it for a song. I did.....years later....find out who he sold it to (a co-worker) and at some point I looked the guy up....just never could figure out how to make 'that' phone call.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

I've only sold three guns the best I recall. I was so unhappy over the first one that I vowed to only do that for a good reason in the future. The first to go was a 4-5/8" Single Six Convertible with the American Liberty bicentennial stamp. I was young and newlywed. Wife didn't grow up around guns and was afraid of them so I said I would sell all but my first .22 rifle. After selling that pistol I immediately agonized that I lost my terrific little six shooter. I decided to get her to shoot before getting rid of anything else and she loved shooting. She suddenly couldn't understand why people were afraid guns. That was the last of that! She got a 10/22 Sporter for Christmas that year. I sold a Super Blackhawk because I had lost access to other peoples' reloading equipment and it was too expensive to shoot. I traded it for a 1981 Ruger MKI that I still have. I would like to replace it now but have a 7.5" Blackhawk in .45 Colt and a Contender with a 14" .44 Mag barrel so that power level is covered. I also sold an SKS that I took as collateral. Don't miss it at all.

Just remembered another one I sold but it was for a good cause. I sold a Springfield Armory 1911 to a friend after Katrina because he had no firearms and needed one. It was a great shooter and I wish I hadn't sold it but don't have any heartburn over helping a friend.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    870 Wingmaster 12ga that belonged to my father.....it was the gun I learned to shoot, and the one I hunted everything with. Had the slug barrel as well with the old-school weaver quik-point on it. Went to the gun cabinet one day to fetch it and go shoot some squirrels...it was gone. Apparently the family car needed some tires, so dad sold it. I could still choke him....and someday might. I had cash in the bank....but the hard-headed SOB sold it for a song. I did.....years later....find out who he sold it to (a co-worker) and at some point I looked the guy up....just never could figure out how to make 'that' phone call.
    This story reminds me of another one. A gun that I never had my hands on, but in hindsight, it's loss was truly a sad event for me.

Attachment 207512

Right after my Dad (God rest his soul) got home after WWII, he joined the local American Legion. He remained a active member, (including playing Taps at memorial days services), til his health wouldn't let him travel back to our home town.

The following, I learned years after the fact.

About the time it was legal for me to deer hunt, the Legion choose to upgrade their Issued firearms from the nickel (or chrome) plated 30-40 Krag parade rifles (fully functional rifles) to standard M1 Garands. There wasn't enough of the rifles for each member to buy one, so they had a raffle/sale (I believe the price was $1, to make it a legal transaction for the club), My Dad's ticket was pulled first, so he had first choice and picked a nice one.

About this same time, my Dad bought a single shot 20ga shotgun for me to hunt with, We made a few trips hunting Grouse in the woods, and over the next few years we hunted deer also. While my Dad bought that shotgun, I guess a Marlin 30-30 levergun caught his eye. And, I guess he traded that Parade Krag "Even-Steven" for a new Marlin, at the local hardware store.

So, when I learned this (again, about 15 or so, years later), was when I started getting into target shooting and collecting guns. During a conversation with my Dad, I remembered the Parade gun, and asked him about it and where it was? He told me was a Krag, a chrome plated parade gun, most of them had chrome peeling off, and that's why the Legion replaced them, but he got one that was in mint condition. He then told me that story about trading it.
    I was crushed that he let go of such a collectible rifle with lots of sentimental value for him (and for me), as I remember that he participated in funeral honors with it, way back then.

Honestly, I don't remember the Marlin at all, He told me that he didn't like the marlin and sold it a couple years after he got it. And apparently, he wasn't that impressed with the chrome plated krag either.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Win 95 takedown in 35 WCF. I have to shoot all my guns also. This was not too bad to make shoot 30-40 Krag brass was a little short but worked. I sat under a large Pine one hunting trip. Two does came playing and feeding by me never even knew I was there. I just watched them go by never even raised the rifle. Was an either sex hunt and I went without that year. I remember that hunt more than any other. I sat there wondering what other kind of hunting stories this fine old rifle could tell. Wish I still had the fine old gun, needed the money more than it.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

MaLar, thanks for sharing that. A hunting story like that is what stays with me.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    This story reminds me of another one. A gun that I never had my hands on, but in hindsight, it's loss was truly a sad event for me.

Attachment 207512

Right after my Dad (God rest his soul) got home after WWII, he joined the local American Legion. He remained a active member, (including playing Taps at memorial days services), til his health wouldn't let him travel back to our home town.

The following, I learned years after the fact.

About the time it was legal for me to deer hunt, the Legion choose to upgrade their Issued firearms from the nickel (or chrome) plated 30-40 Krag parade rifles (fully functional rifles) to standard M1 Garands. There wasn't enough of the rifles for each member to buy one, so they had a raffle/sale (I believe the price was $1, to make it a legal transaction for the club), My Dad's ticket was pulled first, so he had first choice and picked a nice one.

About this same time, my Dad bought a single shot 20ga shotgun for me to hunt with, We made a few trips hunting Grouse in the woods, and over the next few years we hunted deer also. While my Dad bought that shotgun, I guess a Marlin 30-30 levergun caught his eye. And, I guess he traded that Parade Krag "Even-Steven" for a new Marlin, at the local hardware store.

So, when I learned this (again, about 15 or so, years later), was when I started getting into target shooting and collecting guns. During a conversation with my Dad, I remembered the Parade gun, and asked him about it and where it was? He told me was a Krag, a chrome plated parade gun, most of them had chrome peeling off, and that's why the Legion replaced them, but he got one that was in mint condition. He then told me that story about trading it.
    I was crushed that he let go of such a collectible rifle with lots of sentimental value for him (and for me), as I remember that he participated in funeral honors with it, way back then.

Honestly, I don't remember the Marlin at all, He told me that he didn't like the marlin and sold it a couple years after he got it. And apparently, he wasn't that impressed with the chrome plated krag either.
    The thing that continues to 'haunt' me is that I know where dad's shotgun is.... I have a name, and a phone number.....I've had it for years. I just can't figure out how to make that call. "Hey...I'm so-and-so...and 30 years ago, my dad sold you a shotgun....and I want it." Just haven't ever figured that out.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    My mother decided that my nephew should be the family member to inherit all of my father's guns... Model 11 Remington 12g a, 2 Rem 1100's in 20ga, and a model 34 Remington 22lr. What the old dear failed to realize was that the model 11 was mine and had been left at their house for my father to use on Pheasants. He also seems to have come away with my collection (small tho' it be) of pre1900 silver dollars. Haven't said a word about any of it... peace in the family.

The thing that continues to 'haunt' me is that I know where dad's shotgun is.... I have a name, and a phone number.....I've had it for years. I just can't figure out how to make that call. "Hey...I'm so-and-so...and 30 years ago, my dad sold you a shotgun....and I want it." Just haven't ever figured that out.....
    From the sounds of it, the person that has the shotgun has some attachment to it, keeping it 30 years. He may very well understand and be willing to part with it. I think you have pretty good odds.

~Bazoo

Moderator Emeritus

I have made a call like that.... another one of my Long storys, I've save for another time.

But, honestly it is an easy call to make. Just be honest. Since so much time has passed, ask if they remember your Dad, start telling your story that you posted here, assuming he still has the gun, casually ask if the gun has become sentimental to him or his family. He will assume why you are calling, so I wouldn't even ask about buying it back, until he brings it up. Honestly if he doesn't bring it up, and the call has got on for some time, then it's time to make a judgement, as to whether he seems like he might be willing to part with it, then maybe bring up that you want to buy it back...or just end the call if it seems otherwise.
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I was standing near the entry doors of a local gun show. All of the firearms being brought into the room through that door were being "cleared" of ammo (if any was present) from the firearm. An older gentleman walked in with a Walther box. He removed the PPK (.22 LR caliber) from the box for the officer at the door and emptied the magazine, then showed that the chamber was empty. The owner explained he wanted to sell the pistol and declared his asking price, which was very low. The pistol looked excellent and I was waiting for him to move away from the door so I could buy it. Too late. The check-in officer bought it immediately. After the seller had walked away I approached the new owner and asked his plans for the pistol - keep it, sell it, or whatever. He answered he would sell it, just not right now as the line of people waiting to get into the show was long and he needed to keep the line flowing. I checked back with him one time, but he was still busy working. I checked back a second time when the line was gone. Then he stated he had already sold the pistol. I had been looking for that variant a long time, and still want one. Just telling this story makes my stomach churn. Aw, rats.

Boolit Grand Master
    M700 Varmint in .222
    K-38
    S&W M 19
    M700 .308

Forgot to add Colt Officers Model
    Last edited by dverna; 12-15-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    For me the list would be a fairly long one, but the bright side of it in my case is that without some of those things moving on, I wouldn't have had the chance to get some others that I have truly loved.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Snub nose smith and Wesson 44 mag stainless (1 of 5000). Was stolen from house in the 80s. Have missed that gun ever since. Got some back but that was one of the ones I didn't. Thief got probation for breaking into my house and several others. Justice? Also sold a 1903 colt 32auto that wish I had back.

Moderator Emeritus

I have sold off and traded off more than a few guns and will still do so. The one I wish I had back is a Model 28 Smith 357 I thought was a little too heavy.
    Three that haunt me are an H&K P7 M8 squeeze cock 9mm I just could not come up with the cash for. The other two I saw on break while working and they were gone by the time I got off and back there. One was a 1950 era Smith mode 24 Target 4" 44 special and the other a mint condition model 58 41 Magnum.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast