Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever use HT over inferior PC?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone ever use HT over inferior PC?

I have a LOT of 9mm bullets that were PC'd but the powdercoating is failing and leaving heavy leading in the barrel. No the bullets are not undersized. They are +.002" over the slug diameter, nor are they swaged down undersized leaving the brass, and the PC is properly cured. Several of us used the same PC paint and ALL of us are having the same issues with it.

I wondered if anyone has ever used HT over the top of PC and if it would solve this problem? I'll likely give it a try unless someone knows a valid reason why it won't work?

Alloy and heat treated? Try LLA.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I haven't tried it over PC, but I would say no. The HT isn't a real coating as is the PC. Think of it more as a "stain" than a coating. I believe it needs the bare lead to stick to and bond with. You can give it a whirl on a couple of dozen to see. BTW..... which PC is failing you?
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    CLip on wheel weights, no heat treating or water quenching. 14-15 BNL. ~1100 FPS

Boolit Master

May not want to hear this but if all the guns experience the same failure you've eliminated the guns. Sizing won't make the PC fail. I have driven PC boolits beyond 2000 fps in rifle no problem. It's either bad powder or process.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    Sizing didn't make the PC fail. I've pulled bullets and PC was still intact and OD measured same as when they were loaded. I've been PC for several years with zero failures until I came across this PC paint.

I'll HT coat a few dozen tomorrow and see what happens. Just thought I'd check to see f anyone else has tried this before.

I won't use LLA because these will be shot indoors and LLA is just too smoky for my liking.

Banned

I'd just lube them unless it is a non lube mold then i'd add a coat of lube.
    if you don't like alox then some melted JPW would also add a coat of lube.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'd just run em though the lubesizer one time and go with regular lube. (red, blue, green, brown, black, or whatever your favorite is.)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Failed PC...hmmmm ?...now there's a topic for ya. That oughta get real interesting.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Brand of PC? So nobody tries it again? I lube over HiTek/PC that fails (just spotty coverage) and that works (BLL). Try a different PC powder yet? Second coat may help. Acetone in HiTek will probably soften the PC.
    Whatever!

Banned

First, if you improperly apply PC, superior, over inferior HT, and then apply HT you have a mess.
    If you love HT then melt the bullets and proceed with HT
    You cannot unring the bell here

^ . . . 'Bingo!' I was wondering how long it'd take to eventually get around to this.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I doubt the hitek would adhere properly with the faulty coating still on them. I've had a few bad batches saved like this by tumble lubing in bll. I'd double check the PC and procedure, seems like it got contaminated.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Nothing lost but a little time. If you don't want lube (neither would I) just melt them down and start over. I'm with the rest, HT over PC will just make more of a mess. Gp

I get so confused so easily.."Several of us used the PC and it failed" has been asked before, what brand. I have used the cheapest there is, Harbor Freight. If applied and cured correctly it will with stand 2000 FPS without an issue.

Sure wish you would enlighten us a bit.

Boolit Buddy
    I didn't start this thread to bad mouth a PC paint. But since so many have asked, it's Randy Rat's dark metallic gray paint. I've used Smoke's paint for several years with excellent results. Heck, I started out with HF red and it worked like a champ as well. Not so much with this product.

I think I would give Randy a gingle, maybe he can help out.

Boolit Buddy
    He's a good guy and I am not blaming him nor his PC. I'm still using Smoke's PC and will continue to into the forseable future. I am just trying to salvage a lot of gray coated bullets before tossing them in a pot.

Interesting. I have used that powder with no issues. I have not used it in 9mm.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    I coated over a few PC boolits today with HT. The HT flaked off in the smash test. Thanks for the suggestions but I guess 4 large coffee cans of gray boolits are destined for recycling in the pot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast