Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Where tio Find Scrap TIn for casting

Where tio Find Scrap TIn for casting

I am new to this but I have been Using Roto Metals for virgin tin. Is there a place to look for scrap tin that I can use for casting 45-90 Cartridge bullets in my Shiloh rifle.
    Thanx for any help.
    Rainman

Check the want to sell section

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    You can find pewter from antique stores,( think flea market type,) yard sales,solder in a roll type stuff at these yard sales, see the swapping and selling section on here there is usually someone who has some tin for sale! Good luck to you. Try to buy hallmarked pewter only. You’ll get the hang of it!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Look for solder & pewter at thrift stores, garage sales & Craigs list. Go through some of the results of the links from cast bullet they have types and composition. Also download the alloy calculator http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oy-calculators

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/goog...=1593j638115j6

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/goog...uble-Again&ss=

Boolit Master
    You can find tin in easily understood proportions and known purity in various solders.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Like the others have posted, you can search flee markets and thrift stores for pewter and flee markets and yard sales for solder. There are also members here that sell both pewter and solder in the swapping and selling section. Study the sticky on pewter before you spend very much money and learn what to look for. If your local scrap yard will sell to the public keep a watch out there.

Boolit Master

one of the headline sponsors, rotometals, is having a sale on tin and lino right now.

Boolit Master
    There’s always someone selling solder\Tin in the swapping section. You can always go to yard sales and look for solder, pewter. Glad we only need 1-2% for fill out.
    Good luck and Be safe
    Mike

Radiator shop scrap solder.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    I got a large supply of "floor sweepings" solder from a local radiator shop in (2) 5-gallon buckets. Each bucket was a bit over half full. They also threw in a spool of neglected rolled-up solder. I got all the debris cleaned out of the solder best as I could and worked to melt and cast the results into 1/2 pound ingots, or smaller. My "cooker" was a cast iron skillet over a Coleman camp stove. Everything was going well until I tossed in the roll of unused solder in the pan. I got a fireworks response in the pan. Pulled the pan off the heat and dumped the contents on the yard, then read the identification notes from the spool. This material was acid core solder and it had reacted with the cast iron skillet. That batch of solder went away, never to be used. As for the skillet - it still wears the reminders of the day I abused it...

Boolit Grand Master

After the Holidays I plan to buy an inexpensive stainless stock pot for melting solder in. The acid should cook out or burn off leaving good clean solder behind. Hopefully the stainless will survive any ill effects from the acid. This pot will find a home with my other smelting tools.

Check with local scrap yards for Tin or 50/50 solder. I know a few local to me that are licensed to sell metals, some can just buy scrap but not resell it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rain2436 View Post
    I am new to this but I have been Using Roto Metals for virgin tin. Is there a place to look for scrap tin that I can use for casting 45-90 Cartridge bullets in my Shiloh rifle.
    Thanx for any help.
    Rainman
    Rainman,
    welcome to the forum.

You have been given many useful suggestions so far.

In my area, the most reasonably priced Tin I've found, is from a local Metals scrap yard. If there is one near you, ask for "Block Tin", as that is the correct terminology they use for Sn (Tin) ...if you just ask for Tin, you may be shown steel roof sheeting. Years ago Beer cooling systems used pure Tin pipe for the coolant, and can be found at Scrapyards occasionally, it is small (like 1/2" dia.) and very bendable and heavy like Lead, but it's quite thin, where Lead pipe is generally thicker and larger diameter. I mention this, because some scrappers may mistake Tin pipe as Lead pipe and you may get it for
    the Cheap Lead price, ask me how I know

Good Luck
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Sn piping is an excellent source! I have acquired over 70# of the stuff, the seller thinking it was lead! $1 a pound!

Watch old solders. Many are acid core. There is a liquid/gel phase acid flux in there that will "explode" when heated in your re-melting pot! If you melt it VERY slowly a SINGLE strand at at time, you can use it. But wear lots of body/eye protection. And work s----l---o---w---l---y.

50/50 acid-free solder shows up quite frequently in yards, as plumbers are now forced to use lead-free solders on potable water lines! And they sell the "old stuff" to scrapyards (in my case) on 25 and 50 pound rolls!

I have been very lucky to find many (!) foundry-stamped bars of pure Sn at local scrap yards for a buck a pound. Hope your yards are as fruitful!

Good luck in your searches. You need only 1% or so Sn in your mix, so a little goes a long way.

Banger

Banned
    Welcome to the "addiction" Rain2436
    If you are here to save money, you are in the wrong place. We just end up shooting more for the same money

Good site for pewter(which is mostly tin) and reloading stuff
    (Like craigslist)
    https://offerup.com
    Last edited by Grmps; 12-20-2017 at 03:01 PM.