Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at Older Marlin 1895 JM without Crossbolt Safety 45-70

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Another thing: do you know if the rifle you are looking at has Micro Groove rifling? It may not say so on the barrel, mine has it and is not marked. As I'm sure you know, Micro Groove can present challenges with boolits. If you want conventional rifling I would look for a JM 1895 Cowboy. $800.00 or less will get you a nice one and there are alot of them out there.
    Unless you intend to shoot black powder loads, I have to disagree regarding Micro Groove rifling being undesireable. Micro Groove with proper bullet fit shoots as well as any other rifling pattern.

Is an 86 a better rifle? Sure is a lot heavier = less painful recoil but lots more to tote. Much more complicated rifle.

Regarding price, if you want such a rifle, the price is on the top end of the going price in my area.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My micro groove rifles shoot boolits just fine. I guess what I meant was, that MG *might* require a different approach than standard rifling if the OP had no experience with it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

FWIW, Mine is not "micro grooved" it has the older "Ballard" style rifling and Years ago I "smoothed-up"
    the action sufficiently that I can Feed FIRED cases from the Magazine tube and into the chamber than
    Out as fast as my hands can work the lever!

I have not tried the Hornady "tipped ammo" in the rifle, but I'd be shocked if it didn't feed at least as well as FIRED cases...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Yup, just like mine. Great rifles!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    After a little snooping I learned that the first ones built in the seventies had "BO" starting the serial number . Also the I'm told the first ones had Douglass barrels and I think it was six groove rifling . I watched one sell on Gunbroker a couple years ago in like new condition for over nine hundred dollars .

Glad you got one you like Jmort , they are a blast to play with .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I bought one 2 years ago, in .44mag. Its a nice rifle but the safety is disgusting so I bought one of the safety deletes with the saddle ring and now it looks ******. It also shoots great. it was manufactured in 2011.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Looking at older Marlin 1895 without crossbolt safety. It is in fantastic condition but the asking price is $800
    Is this a crazy price?
    I have always wanted one of these non-safety Marlin 1895s in 45-70
    Glad to pay the Piper, if that is an in the ball-park price
    Thanks
    Yup that is what mine sold for on this site (shipped ) as I remember /Ed

Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    Without straying to far off subject. Where is the JM mark on a Marlin?? I picked up a pre safety 45/70 in a trade. Due to poor health I haven't been able to do much with it. Guy I swapped with inherited the Marlin from his Grandfather and had no idea of its age. Is there any way to ID the year of manufacture??
    FWIW mine is marked with the JM (in an oval) on the left side of the barrel with about a quarter if an inch spacing between the Receiver and the edge of the stamping

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    FWIW mine is marked with the JM (in an oval) on the left side of the barrel with about a quarter if an inch spacing between the Receiver and the edge of the stamping
    THX Allan, I couldn't find it because it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one in 45-70 and it cuts 1/2 groups at 100 yards with both 300 + 350gr Hornadys.With 4x Leupold.Never got around to trying cast yet.

Boolit Man
    IF i were you, i'd bite the bullet and buy it, if, its in that kind of condition. I bought a 1998 model 45/70 in what i thought to be very very good condition. It was, i did the safety delete and, i'm very happy with it. If you don't tell anyone, they'll never know. I do not say it is some thing it is not. Meaning its not a early pre safety. But, i'm tickled to death to have it. I'd like to find a nice pre saftey 44 mag in some thing i could just use to carry out in the brush, when just out looking around.

By the way, i don't think the price is out of line,maybe you can offer a little bit less, but, if you want it, don't let it get away from you. Or, you'll be posting about ''the one i didn't buy'' type thing. lol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    What size tap is needed to cut those threads?
    I have a barrel in 45-70 for a single shot project and can't figure out exactly what tap to get.
    If it's a bastard acme thread or a square thread it will have to be done on a lathe. No such tap will be likely available for the acme if it isn't a standard pitch and I don't think I even heard of a square thread tap. If your thinking of running a tap to thread a receiver or use a die to cut threads on the barrel, you might just consider having your local gunsmith do the work for you. It will be much cheaper and the end result will be much more satisfying. Just my opinion, others will differ. Good luck
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Thanks to all responding
    I got it, straight stock
    Beautiful rifle
    I really like a properly fitted firearm as to an assembled firearm.
    This has high grade fit and finish
    Good decision, I have one made in 1974, micro groove rifling and all. It’s killed several deer, feral hogs, even a heart shot on a bobcat at 135 yards. I sure wouldn’t sell mine for $800.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12