RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at Older Marlin 1895 JM without Crossbolt Safety 45-70

Banned

Looking at Older Marlin 1895 JM without Crossbolt Safety 45-70

Looking at older Marlin 1895 without crossbolt safety. It is in fantastic condition but the asking price is $800
    Is this a crazy price?
    I have always wanted one of these non-safety Marlin 1895s in 45-70
    Glad to pay the Piper, if that is an in the ball-park price
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    They will never be made like that again, in the condition You describe I would buy it. pay the money and Cry only once.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If you want it, buy it. That being said, the safety can be easily deleted and the Remlin 1895's at my local shop are awfully nice looking for about $300.00 less.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have one i bought new in 1978....and theres no way I would buy another at anything but a giveaway price.Put you money toward one of the nice 1886 copies.........the irony of it all is I sold a ex RAF 45/90 with a slightly pitted bore to buy the Marlin,in those days a 86 was worth about $200 unless the bore was mint and it was 45/70.

Another thing: do you know if the rifle you are looking at has Micro Groove rifling? It may not say so on the barrel, mine has it and is not marked. As I'm sure you know, Micro Groove can present challenges with boolits. If you want conventional rifling I would look for a JM 1895 Cowboy. $800.00 or less will get you a nice one and there are alot of them out there.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

If it was made in the 70s, straight stock version, I would say the price is close. I sold mine to a good friend last year for $700.

BB

I've already turned down several $1000 offers for My Strait stocked, early 70's(1972-73) version and it will likely stay in my collection as long as I'm above ground!

Especially since just before the "Winchester insanity" of the last decade I acquired a Winchester 94 (1973) entirely for the Weaver(Proudly marked El Paso, Texas) K4 steel-tube
    scope that was attached to it on a crappy "quick mount" side mount. It is now in a Leupold/Redfield base and "ultra-low" rings.

Banned

Didn't Marlin change from an Acme threaded barrel to V thread because they felt the Acme thread weakened the receiver in the web between the barrel channel and magazine tube channel? If so may be safer with the V thread models if you're pressing the limits of the 45-70.

Banned

Thanks to all responding
    I got it, straight stock
    Beautiful rifle
    I really like a properly fitted firearm as to an assembled firearm.
    This has high grade fit and finish

Very glad to hear it! I paid a whopping $400.00 for mine in NOS condition in 2004. I put a later Guide Gun stock and forend on it to save the factory wood from hunting wear.

Banned

Some guns will be great investments
    The market is hard to predict

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Didn't Marlin change from an Acme threaded barrel to V thread because they felt the Acme thread weakened the receiver in the web between the barrel channel and magazine tube channel? If so may be safer with the V thread models if you're pressing the limits of the 45-70.
    I have removed barrels from marlin 1895s, 1894s and 336s that were produced from 1959 to 1983. All have the exact same thread, a 6 degree modified square thread. Even the new 1895 Remlins have this thread but it is cut with one less thread. I installed a Remlin 1895 45-70 barrel on a 336 frame and it indexed correctly.

BB

Pictures?

Boolit Buddy
    What size tap is needed to cut those threads?
    I have a barrel in 45-70 for a single shot project and can't figure out exactly what tap to get.

Boolit Master

Without straying to far off subject. Where is the JM mark on a Marlin?? I picked up a pre safety 45/70 in a trade. Due to poor health I haven't been able to do much with it. Guy I swapped with inherited the Marlin from his Grandfather and had no idea of its age. Is there any way to ID the year of manufacture??

Boolit Master
    The serial number.....the earlier 70s etc is the first two digits deducted from 2000....ie mine is 22xxxxx......its 1978,which is correct ,cause i bought it new in 1978......the JM stamp is on the barrel LHS adjacent to the reciever........mine has been triple stamped,and is just a blob..........one of those "old time employees" with shaky hands ,no doubt......at that time there was great controversy about microgroove, about barrel stamping denting the bore inside,about front sight dovetail denting the bore ,,,etc ,etc.....Much of the "Marlinhate" came from disgruntled Winny fans,seeing their brand going down.

Boolit Master

THX!! Mine is also a 22. No JM stamping and it's Micro-Groove rifling. It has the gold trigger but the white dot on the buttstock apparently took a walk. Does yours have any FTF problems with Hornady Lever Revolution Ammo, mine does?? Can't recall brand off hand, 405gr RNF lead and two Remington brand soft nose jacketed flowed through like a hot knife through butter.

Boolit Master
    If FTF means 'fail to fit".......the rims wont fit under the extractor.........but a couple hundred Win and Rem I bought with the gun work no problem..........havent bought a case since,but people often give me the Hornady cases. I do have primer strike problems with some primers,notably Winchester.....Just a recock,second nature.I think the hammer is too light,the spring is plenty strong..................of course ,everyone knows now that bigger than 458 cast is needed,but mine does good with any size and wheat bran filler to bump up the bullets before gas can cut them.

Think he means “ failure to feed” and sometimes the older big bore Marlin need a different magazine follower to use the Hornady gummies. The pointed tip get caught between the follower and the tube. There are some threads on this over on Marlinowners forum.

Boolit Master
    Nope,I can not close the bolt on a H case.....if enough force was applied,the extractor would break.......there is good reason why 45/70 cases end up in the scrap bin at the range...........a $1+ case that is considered junk.....I collect them,someday my 45/55 Starr project will need cut down cases,and Ill have no worries about cutting H cases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast