RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: "New" Marlin 44 mag, bullet advice

Boolit Bub

"New" Marlin 44 mag, bullet advice

Just picked up a 1971 Marlin saddle ring carbine .44 mag. I've had a couple of these years ago but only ever shot jacketed bullets in them. I'd like to shoot cast in this one, but anticipate feeding problems with SWCs, which is all I have bullet molds for presently. What's your experiences and recommendations on a good bullet mold, and what sizing diameter tends to work best with these?

I had a Williams Foolproof receiver sight I'd been saving and have installed that. Have not shot it yet, but will probably get started with some of those new-fangled jacketed bullets; think I can scrape up a few of those somewhere around here.

The thing I noticed is that the peeps at Accurate and Noe tend to make awesome SWCs that feed properly in lever guns!

Boolit Grand Master

You should slug your bore but most likely it will be at or slightly over the SAAMI spec of 0.431" so "fatter" than .44 mag. handgun groove diameter. You will most likely need boolits that are sized to 0.432" or larger. I use 0.434"

My 1894 would not feed SWC's reliably until I modified the carrier and I only did that because Dale53 gave me a very nice Mihec brass Cramer mould clone of the H&G #503. Some say their guns have no problem with SWC's so it appears to be an individual thing and maybe due to tolerances and timing.

My gun was also very picky about cartridge OAL. It did not like anything even slightly over factory OAL specs. I modified the cartridge stop which solved that (there's info on the Marlin Owner's site).

Since I picked the most popular boolit for handguns... the Lyman 429421 which is a Keith SWC design and makes cartridge OAL too long if crimped at the crimp groove, I had constant feeding issues until I went to an RNFP design then made the above mods for SWC's.

So, short story, I'd advise going with an RNFP design unless you are bent on using an SWC. The Lyman 434640 feeds well in my gun as does the RanchDog 265 gr. boolit even with its large meplat. If you really want to use SWC's then make up dummy rounds with a variety of boolits and try them to see if they feed. You may find one or more that work well then problem solved. If not then there are fairly simple mod's you can make that will help.

Also, since that gun will have 1:38" twist it is best to limit boolit weight to 270 gr. max. In my experience anyway.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys, that's helpful. Not dead set on using SWCs, though it would be nice since I already got molds. I figured the OAL thing would be a problem with 429421. I think my 429244 is a little shorter; I may see what happens with those, but I'm sure they are still longer than most any jacketed bullet would be. Probably need to see what the as-cast diameter of my mold is, too, and as suggested, slug the bore on the rifle.

Boolit Buddy

I have no problems with a SWC boolit in my 1977 Marlin 44 Mag. It does slug at .431 so it gets it's own mold.
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master
    I have no issues with the Lee 310. Great mold and works well in a Winchester lever.

I would email Tom at Accurate Molds and asked his valued opinion on the subject. I'm bettin he will steer you in the right direction..

Boolit Master
    The SAAMI spec for .44 Mag in rifles is .432", for reasons that only they know.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

You will want to slug your bore, mine ran .432 and likes .434. Watch your OAL, mine feeds anything I put in it as long as it's 1.610.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

I think it was Randy Buchanan that said 1894's can benefit in feeding SWC's by putting a small radius on the chamber mouth. That is something I have not done but my SWC's were riding so high that I am quite sure that would not have fixed the issue in my gun. I reshaped the carrier a bit.

Boolit Master
    Per longbow and others - there are a few simple touches to get the Marlin's to feed most bullets, very extensive info at the Marlinowner's forum and other places here and elsewhere..

Boolit Bub
    Thanks again, guys. Great info.

Boolit Master
    I tried RCBS 250gr keith in mine at 1.710 as per crimp grove and they dont cycle, then i just tried seating them deeper and re-trying and at 1.680 they work as long as your not slow on the lever. So i just put a small crimp on the front band. I just cast then powder coat which makes em .433 and shoot unsized (bore is .4315). Accuracy was 1.25" or so at 25yd with 1/38 ballard rifling 20" barrel and aperature sights.

Mines not an old one so your feeding or bore may be a bit different but you should be able to make swc's work. Im in the process of trying lee 240gr paper patched with tracing paper up to size to see if thats another viable option for marlin 44's.