Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 3" sp101 in 327 is back

Boolit Buddy

3" sp101 in 327 is back

Ruger once again is producing the 3" sp101 in 327

This run has a fixed rear sight instead of a thin blade adjustable one

That should bring th prices down on Gunbroker!

Go get em boys

Boolit Grand Master

3" sp101 in 327 is back

It's still going to have the worse trigger of any revolver. I own one and the trigger is horrendous even after lots of dry firing. Hopefully their QC is actually existent because mine had to be sent back to be "finished". Should have never left the factory. I like the round and like Ruger but this particular gun was a let down all around.

Boolit Buddy
    Check the bore for the trigger return spring

Mine had curls of metal in there!

Once removed and polished along with some Wolff springs it's very nice

Boolit Grand Master
    I am about 400 rounds deep in my SP-101 x 4.2" in 327 Federal. The trigger has progressed a bit--from "abomination/1895 Nagant" level to "atrocious/barely tolerable". I haven't ordered much lately that is hobby-related, and keep putting off the Wolff spring kit that is sorely needed to rehab this otherwise delightful varmint whacker.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    Check the bore for the trigger return spring

Mine had curls of metal in there!

Once removed and polished along with some Wolff springs it's very nice
    I did the same and yes very nice now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA9Q_j3KLXg
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    The nice thing about the SP-101 is that wolff sells a kit with a trigger return spring and several hammer springs.

The trigger return spring alone made a great improvement in my gun.

I have gone back and forth with hammer springs. First I went down, and loved it when I was only using regular small pistol primers.

Later I went back up when I was trying to get reliable igntion from rifle primers. Did not even notice the increase in effort with this change as the gun had smoothed out so much.

Boolit Grand Master
    A set of wolff springs, a little polishing while you have it apart, and a set of trigger and hammer shims go a long way towards making your SP101 smoother and lighter. It will be $30.00 and two hours well spent.

https://www.triggershims.com/ruger_double_action.html
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Just a note to one's who may not be aware. Factory 327 ammo uses small rifle primers that have to be hit harder than the small pistol magnum primers. If you drop the main spring very much, you'll start getting misfires, been there, done that! Dropping the trigger return spring will help drop the overall pull weight with out dropping the striking force of the hammer. Same with the rim fire double actions.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on the hammer and trigger shims. I've used them in all 12 of my Ruger revolvers and have seen a marked improvement.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Just a note to one's who may not be aware. Factory 327 ammo uses small rifle primers that have to be hit harder than the small pistol magnum primers. If you drop the main spring very much, you'll start getting misfires, been there, done that! Dropping the trigger return spring will help drop the overall pull weight with out dropping the striking force of the hammer. Same with the rim fire double actions.
    Yeah, I have this in the back of my mind--given that factory loads can churn up pressures in the 46K PSI ballpark. I don't run most of my 32 H&R Magnum ammo at full strength, most of it uses the RCBS 32-98-SWC at 900-1000 FPS, and the rest uses Lyman #313631 at about 1250 FPS. CCI 500 primers have sufficed for those 32 H&R loadings, and my 327 Federal load levels will follow suit. When I want to set off earthquakes in fault zones with report intensity, I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine that sends 115-120 grain-class castings into the 1500 FPS ZIP Code quite happily. Remington #6-1/2 primers get the call in these loads.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.