WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OK - Who Shoots 22 Hornet? - Xmas Giveaway

I'd use them in my Ruger #1, Varmint league at Gun Club #1(belong to two, drift through a dozen more.

50 yards offhand to keep the guys who want to show up with the 25 pound bench hogs--they miss the "varmint" in the title--100, 200, 300 of the bench.

If I ever get back out west for prairie dogs that would be the first gun to get loaded in the truck.

Boolit Master

Appreciate the offer, Baja. Would use the Hornet as a step up from .22 for my granddaughter in a TC Contender.
    A very Merry Christmas to you.

I'm in. I have an old Ozzie No1 Mk III that had a new hornet tube put on it in the 60's. I'll shoot at the chicken thieves with her. The red ones are fast but the hornet catches them

Boolit Buddy

I too don't have one yet and the funny thing is I was at our local Dicks which is not my favorite store but I was killing time waiting to pick the wife up from dialysis this morning and they had 8 boxes of 22 Hornet ammo and i just stood there looking and dreaming about getting one, so I would like to be in if that is possible. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

Boolit Master

Well, I like this! A karma but we have to kinda work for it! Deal! . My fav .22 Hornet is a Savage model 40. I'm mostly a target shooter and an occasional crow strafer. I also have an old Stevens 322 that has been re-chambered long ago to .22 K-Hornet that would likely see it's share of this brass should I be so lucky!

Boolit Master
    Very kind offer. I have a Savage 219 in Hornet, an H&R single shot that I rechambered to KH and a 22KH liner I made for a TC 44mag barrel. This brass would be used only for the Savage 219 for target shooting/training with the grandkids and for the occasional varmit or turkey that wanders in the yard. I use a light load of w231 and an NOE 37gr cast. With this load brass lasts very well. It's nice to see the old Hornet and its cousin the KH are still well thought of.

My contender shoots a 22 Hornet barrel that's a 7 1/2" bull made by Ingram. I bought it from a guy on another forum that said he could hit a coyote with it at 100 yds!
    This barrel is wearing open sights, mind you, and I've done all I could with sand bags at the range to hold a 2" group at 25 yds. That coyote shooting was a hit and miss proposition at best, I believe.
    Anyhoo, if I'm lucky enough to get picked and be awarded some vintage brass I'll load 'em up with some vintage Nosler bullets I just received from a fellow shooter.

My son and I like TC's, Contenders and have a 14" and a 21" with which to shoot them from. We would get them sighted in and might try our hand at the local coyote pack.
    Many thanks in advance
    Seeking Thompson Contender, Encore items & collectibles pls pm me or email: nhmikel@yahoo.com

Hello Baha. This is very nice of you to do something like this. I cast and load my own Hornets. They will be shot out of a bought used CZ-527 American Classic. I shoot mostly at paper with this one but small rodents and the like has gotten in the way before. Have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Bub
    Mine is a Savage Model 25 LVT w/thumbhole laminated stock. Wickedly accurate loaded with them little V-max hornadys. The groundhogs around here just sometimes keel over with a heart attack if they see me looking through the scope in their direction. Usually when she cracks you see just a little tail quiver. DRT.
    Merry Christmas and thanks for this kind and fun gesture.
    Temper is a quality that at a critical moment brings out the best in steel and the worst in people.

Boolit Mold
    Very kind of you in the Christmas spirit. I just got a 22 hornet barrel for my encore. And now that I got my son (3rd grade teacher) stuff moved out of the basement it's time to reload....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Excellent Christmas karma.

Please add me. Why?
    Well, I have a T/C Encore rifle bbl,, in 22 Hornet,, that is a SWEET groundhog slayer. If I pull up to a kudzu patch,, pull out the Hornet,, well, the groundhogs go into a sweat & start drawing straws to see who's gonna be the sacrificial ones for me that day.

Then the crows.
    They were ok,, until they were caught plucking Miss Penny's Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes. She declared war on them. Well, actually she's the General,, and she directed her troops, (me) to declare all out war on them. She wanted them dead,,, and to that end,, when they'd fly up into the trees,, they never understood why their friends seemed to explode from within. It may have been a 40 grn thin jacketed varmint bullet that made like an internal grenade.

And on occasion,, the cat killing,, turkey eating,,, Wil E. Coyote who makes the mistake of showing his Acme head when that Hornet is out & about. The sting of that bee has made Acme start a new recruiting campaign. They need more un-educated song dogs to try out their products.

All in all,,, I'd enjoy being the lucky winner of this brass.

Boolit Bub
    have 16.250 contender. hunt varmints, ground hogs and various varmints could use some new brass

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the opportunity to play! I would use them in one of three pre-war guns: An M2 Springfield converted to .22 Hornet, a Winchester M54 Hornet, or (my favorite) a German kiplauf 5.6x35R (uses Hornet brass) with 1-9" twist that loves 55 grain cast bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Very nice gesture OP! I shoot a CZ527 in K Hornet. This rifle has thinned out a variety of predators around the farmstead and is generally the go to except in the case of the large and long toothed ones. If chosen I would like to donate to poster #6, Pavogrande, as I am pretty well fixed for brass.

Boolit Mold
    I’ll be loading them for a first gen T/C Contender that was given to me as a gift. I never knew how fun that little cartridge could be or how effective it would be out of a pistol. It’s also a great gun/cartridge for the kids to pop squirrels with, they usually get to it before me, lol. Easily one of my favorite guns to shoot and load for! This is an awesome thing that you’re doing for the member of the forum. Thank you and merry Christmas!

Boolit Bub
    Baja, Please count me in for the brass. I applaud you for your Christmas spirit. I have 2 Hornets. A Contender carbine sporting a Custom Shop barrel and a Ruger 77/22. These both are gonna be the grandkids prairie dog rifles if and when I ever get to retire. I have a stock pile of bullets saved up, but could always use more brass. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I want to thank the OP for the generous opportunity of a participating member of the forum to receive this high quality brass.

In my case I own a Savage model 40 rifle in 22 Hornet and some barrels in Hornet that fit the Contender.

If I were to receive this brass it would likely be used to stop coyotes that are out to take our pet kitties from us at our house.

Best regards and Merry Christmas

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    Great idea and thank you.
    I will play as well.
    My hornet is an old Savage 340 that I purchased well used in about 1980. It has accounted for many a prarie dog and a number of rabbits, squirrels, and quite a few sparrows as well. Even taken an occasional coyote.
    I have never actually shot cast in this rifle but have been having the urge to go for it as of late.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    I had a problem with feral cats, until I bought my Savage Model 40 Varmint Hunter, once the cats were under control I have cottontails again and a few coveys of quail. I shoot Lil'Gun 12.5 grs and 40gr Vmax in this little single shot rifle and it's a shooter, I also shoot the Lyman 225-415 cast from wheel weights, gas checked and 3 grs of Unique for 22 mag performance on setting rabbits or squirrels.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast